By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why was Sonic Lost World reviewed so poorly??

Xxain said:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=173221

That is my thoughts. Sonic Lost World is ultimately a disappointing Sonic game. Annoying, frustrating and boring are the top worlds that come to mind when playing this game. This is Sonic trying to be a Mario game, but SEGA does the finesse to pull that off.

I hear the big update makes it bearable, but the core remains the same.

this the only reason why this is beimg compared to Mario is that its tryimg to be mario

Around the Network
IMP_ervious said:
Its a game that's trying to target two different fanbases and not quite hitting the mark for either. On the one side you have Sonic fans that want it to be faster and less Mario influenced. On the other hand you have Mario fans that expect something up to the level of "perfection" (only in quotes cause I don't think any game can be perfect) that Mario platformers usually achieve.

Unfortunately, Lost World falls into a middle ground of not quite hitting all of the notes that either fanbase expects. Therefore it got beat up on in the reviews even though it doesn't really deserve it. After this latest patch especially, the game is very enjoyable and has a lot of great ideas that I'd love to see Sega continue on with in future installments.

If they ditched the whole spherical world thing, opened the environments up a bit to allow further exploration and paths to the level's end, tighten up the parkour system and possibly reintroduce a playable Tails and/or Knuckles then I think they'll be on the right path. There's so much more I could write about what I'd like to see but I should probably stop there lol

I agree, specifically with the last paragraph. The best part about Sonic Lost World is the potential the new game design bring's. I can almost feel knuckles, Tails and Amy return.

Xxain said:
IMP_ervious said:

I agree, specifically with the last paragraph. The best part about Sonic Lost World is the potential the new game design bring's. I can almost feel knuckles, Tails and Amy return.

Yeah, most of the wisps just feel like they're there to replace the abilities of the other characters anyway. Knuckles could easily replace the yellow drill color, Tails could replace the red flight color, Amy the Indigo Asteroid (destroying things with her piko hammer) or maybe the Pink Music one.

Even the slower speed that Sonic has in the game could just be used for a different character. Have Tails, Knuckles or Amy be a little slower than Sonic but then have their abilities that allow the player to find hidden items throughout the levels. They could have varying speeds that might be easier for beginner players. Then Sonic will of course be your speed runner character that players more accustomed to playing a Sonic game can blast through the levels for their S rank. 

It hurts when i see ppl say bad things about this game. It's a perfect game imo. i beat every sonic in the 6th generation and skipped every sonic in the seventh. From my perspective there's no faults here just perfection. I love this game. I'm collecting all chaos emeralds though, not just going through the motions. That'd be boring.

i liked it. its a different sonic. i dont like on rails semi- racing sonic games. so i liked this one quitte a bitt

Around the Network

My thoughts so far is that it takes a bit of getting used to, but if you approach the game on its own terms, it is pretty good. The random deaths are annoying at times, but not as frequent as some have made them out to be. Level design is very clever.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I only played the demo, but I didn't particularly care for the level design. There were some cool ideas put into this game, but I wish they would just make an open world sonic.

When I played the demo, I could see why people wouldn't enjoying it, but after playing it a few times, I enjoyed it for what it is.

If I can enjoy Sonic 06, I can enjoy any Sonic game :).

While I haven't played the game properly, after having played the demo, my impressions of the game are basically the same as they were before it released; it looks unfocused and messy.

As for why it specifically wasn't so well reviewed, I'd say that mostly comes from having shaky fundamental mechanics. The controls and level design may not be bad, but from what I've seen they lack polish, and that's a big problem since it's so much of the game's content.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Xxain said:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=173221

That is my thoughts. Sonic Lost World is ultimately a disappointing Sonic game. Annoying, frustrating and boring are the top worlds that come to mind when playing this game. This is Sonic trying to be a Mario game, but SEGA does the finesse to pull that off.

I hear the big update makes it bearable, but the core remains the same.

Your review is very critical and in depth... looking in to nooks and crannies which I am not sure a game like this can or should ever deliver on. I do understand your point of view though as you clearly have certain expectations which weren't met by this game. There are many perspectives when it comes to gaming and mine comes from a "hardcore" gamer that has been gaming for over 20 years but that has not touched videogames for the last 4 months. Due to work, traveling and life in general I have very little time to enjoy gaming these days.

With that said I found this game extremely enjoyable, much more so than the last 2 games I played this year, bioshock infinite and gears of war judgement. Both of those games got much better reviews than SLW and were downright tedious for me to play through. I really don't care to go in depth about what is wrong with parkour controls or why the story isn't better. All I know is that when I boot up the game and push start, I am having fun within 30 seconds.

Because of this I feel like there is a very "smartphone like" game quality to this Sonic game. Where you see levels as very gimmicky, I am seeing that every level is its own mini game and treat it as that. I'm really not looking for any greater context apart from the level I am currently playing and if it is fun and challenging to complete.