By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why was Sonic Lost World reviewed so poorly??

MegaDrive08 said:

I'm a fan of the original Sonic games and i really like Lost World, it not perfect but a step in the right direction if you ask me and prefer it to colours.
I think people dont like it because it looks more cartoony and didn't give the time to get used to the controls and the game does take a bit of practice to become good, i also think people think it's trying to be a Mario Galaxy which is not a bad thing.

Sonic games were about platforming more than speed which this game brings back to the series, and allows three different speeds to allow exploration or to speed through the level in spin dash which feels good once you master it, i believe before it came out IGN praised the game then when released did a complete u-turn.

it isnt anymore cartoony than past games so that is a ridiculous statement, the fact that you have to get used to the controls probably means the controls arent good, especially considering this game is in a genre and a series thats supposed to be pick up and play. 

Around the Network
zippy said:
disolitude said:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/sonic-lost-world

I know that VGChartz has a few Sonic experts so I wanted to ask...what gives?

Got the game for Christmas and am probably half way though it, and I just don't get it. It plays great and has some of the best platforming in a 3D sonic game to date. Music and visuals are awesome. Game flow is enjoyable and the story is the good type of cheese...

Absolutely nothing about this game is broken like in Sonic 06 or Sonic Unleashed. For what it is, no one should really review this less than 6/10 IMO, and the Meta average should be in the high 7s.

Fully agree, i think it is a super game that is harshly reviewd. It plays like old school Sonic with a focus on exploration, but can also be played at speed too. Call mr cynical but would it have scored better if it wasnt a Wii U exclusive? I find it to be much better than the ok Sonic generations.

yeah because Colors and those Advance games scored so low...wait a minute

disolitude said:

Got the game for Christmas and am probably half way though it, and I just don't get it. It plays great and has some of the best platforming in a 3D sonic game to date. Music and visuals are awesome. Game flow is enjoyable and the story is the good type of cheese...

Absolutely nothing about this game is broken like in Sonic 06 or Sonic Unleashed. For what it is, no one should really review this less than 6/10 IMO, and the Meta average should be in the high 7s.

I got the 3ds demo of this thing. actually made me feel kinda ill playing it, that motion is so unnatural. Not sure if you get the same odd rotation on the Wiiu version but yeah, it really stands out 3d wise for the 3ds, but it's vomit enducing.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
disolitude said:

I got the 3ds demo of this thing. actually made me feel kinda ill playing it, that motion is so unnatural. Not sure if you get the same odd rotation on the Wiiu version but yeah, it really stands out 3d wise for the 3ds, but it's vomit enducing.

I did not have this issue myself on the WiiU version. Could it be a combination of a small screen + 3D that makes or breaks it on the 3DS?

disolitude said:
ganoncrotch said:
disolitude said:

I did not have this issue myself on the WiiU version. Could it be a combination of a small screen + 3D that makes or breaks it on the 3DS?

Dunno have an XL which is almost the same as the Vita screen size but nope just was a combination of the rounded world and speed. Maybe I'm getting old lol. I 100%'d the Sonic Generations game on the 3ds sunk about 35hours into that.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
oniyide said:
zippy said:
disolitude said:

Fully agree, i think it is a super game that is harshly reviewd. It plays like old school Sonic with a focus on exploration, but can also be played at speed too. Call mr cynical but would it have scored better if it wasnt a Wii U exclusive? I find it to be much better than the ok Sonic generations.

I find it to be at least on par with the games you mentioned gameplay wise, but has more polish better graphics etc..the whole package is decent. The review scores range from 7or 8/10 to as low as 4/10, these inconsistencies are what lead me to be a little cynical. 

oniyide said:
MegaDrive08 said:

I'm a fan of the original Sonic games and i really like Lost World, it not perfect but a step in the right direction if you ask me and prefer it to colours.
I think people dont like it because it looks more cartoony and didn't give the time to get used to the controls and the game does take a bit of practice to become good, i also think people think it's trying to be a Mario Galaxy which is not a bad thing.

Sonic games were about platforming more than speed which this game brings back to the series, and allows three different speeds to allow exploration or to speed through the level in spin dash which feels good once you master it, i believe before it came out IGN praised the game then when released did a complete u-turn.

it isnt anymore cartoony than past games so that is a ridiculous statement, the fact that you have to get used to the controls probably means the controls arent good, especially considering this game is in a genre and a series thats supposed to be pick up and play. 

This isn't my statement, i have been on the Sega Sonic forums and this was one of the complaints from the Sonic die hards.

disolitude said:
So to sum up this thread...

- Most people that have played it are saying it is better than reviews indicate, with a sliding scale of how much better it is.

- Few people didn't like the demo and didn't bother playing it hence they think the reviews are accurate.

- Few people didn't specify if they played the game but are calling for a Nintendo conspiracy in my OP and are saying reviews are accurate.

To sum it up, listen to the people who have actually played the game, im sure if it was a poor game people would be honest and tell you that. I have put a lot of hours into it and can honestly say its a good game.

zippy said:
oniyide said:
zippy said:
disolitude said:

I find it to be at least on par with the games you mentioned gameplay wise, but has more polish better graphics etc..the whole package is decent. The review scores range from 7or 8/10 to as low as 4/10, these inconsistencies are what lead me to be a little cynical. 

I find it to be not on par with the games i mentioned, nowhere near as polished as Colors or Generations but not as frustrating or flat out bad like 06 or Unleashed. Id give it a decent, but not good. Its called opinions thats how they work. The reviews score ranges because its a divisive game, its really that simple if you want to get cynical thats on you, you either like the game or you dont. I happen to fall in the latter category.

And you missed the point of my post. You had seemed to be suggesting some kind of anti Ninty agenda with the reviews of the game, which is false considering past Ninty exclusive Sonics have received good scores, me personally that makes me less cynical as we can rule out foul play.

MegaDrive08 said:
oniyide said:
MegaDrive08 said:

This isn't my statement, i have been on the Sega Sonic forums and this was one of the complaints from the Sonic die hards.

fair enough. Gonna have to check that out, becasue that is a ridiculous thing to complain about, and this is coming from a die hard Sonic fan comic reader and all. Maybe they were referencing the new villians which i do hate from a design purpose.