By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why was Sonic Lost World reviewed so poorly??

The reason for the poor reviews was because the reviewers didn't know how to play the game.

I thought the demo was poor for the same reason, then a die hard sonic nutter actually showed me how to play the game properly and suddenly I found it one of the more enjoyable games of the year. You need to hold RZ pretty much the entire time on most stages. You also need to learn the levels, which to be fair, was what Sonic was always about.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

On a side note people are looking too much into reviews and not looking at reviews enough.

The OP claims nobody should have rated it lower than 6/10 and I agree to an extent, Ironically most people DIDNT review it lower than that. out of 64 reviews only 21 of those were below 60 and out of those 21 only 9 were negative. With that being said i cant understand why it should be in the 7s the math doesnt add up.

MikeRox said:
The reason for the poor reviews was because the reviewers didn't know how to play the game.

I thought the demo was poor for the same reason, then a die hard sonic nutter actually showed me how to play the game properly and suddenly I found it one of the more enjoyable games of the year. You need to hold RZ pretty much the entire time on most stages. You also need to learn the levels, which to be fair, was what Sonic was always about.

since when has Sonic been about holding down a button besides the directional pad? Dont you think the fact that someone had to SHOW you how to play indicates poor design or at the very least and unbalanced learning curve?

the game is good to me, nothing bad to say. best 3d sonic game easily, the levels actually get better and harder.

oniyide said:
MikeRox said:

since when has Sonic been about holding down a button besides the directional pad? Dont you think the fact that someone had to SHOW you how to play indicates poor design or at the very least and unbalanced learning curve?

So you're saying it's an existing franchise so it can't change the control scheme. Herein is exactly why it was poorly reviewed. That shows a lack of professionalism given that a reviewer should have read the control scheme before playing the game. Something I didn't bother doing for the demo because it was a demo.

My mate brought the full game around, so that was actually the first time I played the full game. It might have been better to introduce the run mechanic a bit more obviously, but at the end of the day, if it was a new game, people would take the time to learn it. Because it's an existing IP doesn't mean a reviewer should just assume they know how to play it.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Average should be like 7.2.