By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I can't understand the Nintendo doom threads/sentiment

VGhippy said:
I've never seen anyone on this site claim that Nintendo is doomed. I'll happily make the claim that Nintendo should pull out of the home console business (not handhelds) and go third party because the WiiU is bleeding them money than I can ever dream of. But financially they have something like 8 billion in the bank and the profits from the 3DS prevent them from going too far into the red due to the WiiU. I repeat, Nintendo is not doomed, but the WiiU is some serious dead weight for them right now and Mario is a great franchise that actually deserves a decent userbase to sell to.

For the record, I also think Sony should ditch its TV and VITA products. Sony is not doomed either btw but it's sad to see games like Uncharted GA, Gravity Rush and Killzone Mercs only get a fraction of they sales they should get because they are being released on a dead end platform with a tiny userbase.

The problem with your conclusion is the 'right now' part.  If every console maker decided to stop, simply because they were losing money on a console at some point, then no one would be making consoles.  It seems 'strange' to hold Nintendo to this standard, yet ignoring that both Sony and MS have incurred losses on their consoles during each generation. 

Any company that creates a console (handheld or home) has a responsibility to support it.  If they don't, they will jeapordize any chance at securing a solid userbase on any other consoles or software that they release. 

Around the Network
think-man said:
Now you know how it feels to be a Vita lover or how Sony fans had it when the ps3 was failing. This happens to every fan group.

Good point you make but at this moment in time Nintendo are leading this generation in home and handheld consoles (albeit maybe not for much longer) so the speed in which some people have written them off is wierd to me. PS3 and Vita were struggling against their rivals at the time of most of the critisism. I will be interested to see how Sony and Microsoft go from January to March when sales traditionally slow and there isnt alot of releases on the new consoles.

Being "doomed" is only important if it affects the type and quality of games available on that console. Since the Wii U has plenty of quality games, both existing and forthcoming, its "doomed" status is largely a non sequitur.

marley said:
VGhippy said:
I've never seen anyone on this site claim that Nintendo is doomed. I'll happily make the claim that Nintendo should pull out of the home console business (not handhelds) and go third party because the WiiU is bleeding them money than I can ever dream of. But financially they have something like 8 billion in the bank and the profits from the 3DS prevent them from going too far into the red due to the WiiU. I repeat, Nintendo is not doomed, but the WiiU is some serious dead weight for them right now and Mario is a great franchise that actually deserves a decent userbase to sell to.

For the record, I also think Sony should ditch its TV and VITA products. Sony is not doomed either btw but it's sad to see games like Uncharted GA, Gravity Rush and Killzone Mercs only get a fraction of they sales they should get because they are being released on a dead end platform with a tiny userbase.

The problem with your conclusion is the 'right now' part.  If every console maker decided to stop, simply because they were losing money on a console at some point, then no one would be making consoles.  It seems 'strange' to hold Nintendo to this standard, yet ignoring that both Sony and MS have incurred losses on their consoles during each generation. 

That's a fair point. I am holding Nintendo to a different standard but I do have a reason for this. I think outside of Halo, Gran Turismo, Uncharted and maybe a few others, Microsoft and Sony simply don't have IP's that are anywhere near as valuable as Nintendo's IP's. They simply don't have anything else other than control of the platforms to barter with. I genuinely believe that if SMB3DW had released on PS3/4/xbox360/X1 Nintendo would be looking at lifetime sales of at least 20mil. As it stands I think it will be lucky to do 3mil lifetime on the WiiU due to the small userbase. I do think the world wants to play Mario games on their TV screens, but $300 is a big sum just to play Nintendo games, and that's just the part the consumers pay. If the consoles are being sold at a loss then Nintendo has to fork out as well.

If I can just sum it up, I'd say it's a tragedy that such as small amount of people will be able to play Nintendo games, and that Nintendo had to bleed money to allow them to do that. It just seems wrong.

yeah what I find most "ironic" about these Doomed threads, is when it comes from "Sony fanboys"
 if there ever was a video game company that would stop making games first it would be Sony

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network
drake4 said:
007BondAgent said:

Nintendo is far from doomed, anyone who thinks so, must be stupid

nintendo is far from doomed but there days of being relevant in the console market are pretty much over with imo.

Can I have your crystal ball please?

Just remember, EVERY new console generation is a completely clean slate. The past 8 or so years should have taught you that.

I do not want or think they are doomed I just think they would better service the populace by being third party. And never making hardware. That is neither hating,nor calling doom.

Being doomed means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

drake4 said:
marley said:
drake4 said:
really? you can't understand why there are so much doom threads, when its selling worse then dreamcast and third party support for the console is a about to go the way of the dinosaur, and after a year of being on the market, it already saw a 30% price drop. wal-mart is selling the wiiu delux with nintendoland for 249.00, thats almost the same price as the ps3 in only one year in the market.

The WiiU will pass the Dreamcast next year.  Nintendo hasn't had third party support since the SNES.  The ps3 had multiple hardware revisions and major price cuts during it's first year on the market.  What is your point exactly?

3 out 4 of those consoles have been failures. and still all of those consoles that failed had much better third party support then wiiu.

And yet despite 3 out of 4 of those consoles being so called "failures" Nintendo is still around and kicking. The original X-Box entered the console arena with only a small margin between it and the Gamecube and Microsoft soldiered on with a more successful 360. The Wii U won't doom Nintendo. I think Nintendo will seriously only bow out of the hardware market if they release multiple consoles in a row that sell sub 15 million. On third party support: The PS Vita gets more third party support than the 3DS, but the 3DS still outsells it because it has a large amount of high quality first party titles.

As for Japanese sales in the last year, which was mentioned earlier this thread. The Wii U is very comparable to the first year of the PS3 and PS Vita, so things could go either way still in Japan. I highly doubt that (and will be highly surprised if) X-Box One is going to make a mark in Japan, so I think the home console market is going to be shared by Sony and Nintendo, very much like it was in the Gamecube era.

Hedra42 said:
It's little more than playground bullying, really - waiting for someone to fall before kicking them. The biased ravings of fanboys (regardless of their persuasion) are no better than flies - a small sound in the ear that can be easily swatted away.

What bothers me more are the poor excuses for journalists you find around the net, with their sensational headlines, misreporting of sources and biased articles.

Definitely agree with you, I can understand fanboys around the net on forums and sites raving about the Wii U's doom and every other thing because they have no better things to do, but professional journalists... That is just stupid.

Yep.

drake4 said:
007BondAgent said:

Nintendo is far from doomed, anyone who thinks so, must be stupid

nintendo is far from doomed but there days of being relevant in the console market are pretty much over with imo.

No offense, but there were people like you saying that Nintendo "Wasn't relevant in the console market" even last gen, when the Wii was kicking the other consoles' asses in sales. So..................yup.