By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I can't understand the Nintendo doom threads/sentiment

I think Nintendo executives are forum members and being called "doomed" turns them on. Those sick fucks. They set themselves up on purpose knowing they aren't doomed at all.

Around the Network

Nintendos cash reserves and incredible IP's currently dont seem to do much good for Wii U do they? I only see 1 more game that can save the Wii U: Mario Kart. Most popular Mario franchise along NSMB but that is already out on the U and wasnt exactly a system seller.

All hopes are on MK8(not Bayonetta, not X, not Donkey Kong not Yoshi, those games dont have the broad appeal of MK), it is the one and only casual/core game that can bring Wii U sales to acceptable levels (aiming at early ps3 sales is very optimistic...).

DevilRising said:
Figgycal said:

I don't know how Nintendo's financials look right now, but it really doesn't matter how much Nintendo made with the Wii if their current system is losing them millions. As a business, you can't rely on past successes to cover up for a present liability -- investors won't be satisfied and using your reserves could mean the inability to pay off debt in the future. Maybe the 3DS will keep them afloat, but until we know how much money they're losing and have lost on the Wii U and how much profit the 3DS is making -- it isn't unreasonable to be unsure about Nintendo's future. Sony's situation is much much much worse than that. Microsoft is the only one truly in a good position.

1. Nintendo has literally billions in their coffers.

2. They have never at any point in their company's history genuinely "been in trouble", they were in fine shape even during the GC era, because the GC still made them money, and GBA and DS sold like fuckin' gangbusters.

3. The only "failure" as a system that Nintendo has ever released, was the Virtual Boy, which was just a bad idea anyway.

4. I think you underestimate JUST how much money DS and Wii have made Nintendo. In certain regions, DSi and Wii are still being produced and released new, and both consoles and their games continue to sell long after they've been "dead".

5. After an initial first few months of slow growth, 3DS has done just fine ever since. In fact it only came out in 2011 and is already up to about 40 million units sold worldwide. Pokemon and Monster Hunter 4 have helped that, especially. Meaning, 3DS is a huge success, and is making them money hand over fist.

6. Wii U had a horrible 2013, for the most part, and it was mainly due to an 7 month drought of no Nintendo-made games released, which was absurd. But they also had a very healthy launch (almost 3 million units sold between late Nov. and the end of Dec. 2012.) And sales have picked up steadily since Oct. of 2013. It'll be close to if not hit 5 million units sold WW by the end of Dec. 2013, and with Mario Kart and Smash Bros. releasing next year, along with other games people are anticipating, it'll have a strong chance of reaching 8-9 million units sold by the end of 2014, IF Nintendo continues to advertise better, and keep a steady flow of games coming from now on.

7. Your comment about MS is hilariously misinformed. Sony and MS as companies, as a whole, make plenty of money and are both fine. But their GAMES divisions do not and for the most part HAVEN'T made them all that much profit, especially MS. Those are facts. Both companies have released consoles the last two generations, easily, whose hardware costs will lose them money for at least the first several years. That is still true with PS4 and Xbone. Anyone thinking overwise is naive.

And you could be right; there are tons of things I didn't consider when making my comment. I don't necessarily agree with 90% of what you wrote, but it's always a possibility.

Hedra42 said:
It's little more than playground bullying, really - waiting for someone to fall before kicking them. The biased ravings of fanboys (regardless of their persuasion) are no better than flies - a small sound in the ear that can be easily swatted away.

What bothers me more are the poor excuses for journalists you find around the net, with their sensational headlines, misreporting of sources and biased articles.

Well they actually have a good excuse they just never talk about it.

The excuse is  gaming today is mostly done by idiots (thats why shit games get 20m+ sales and good games dont. Latest example TearAway)  people that believe a Citreon car can really turn into a transformer that skates around the streets just because the commercial says so. And all those gaming sites want money  so they write stuff for idiots and therefore they generate click revenue.

There is a ton of PS and especially MS fans that have no problem with Nintendo's existence. Just the literally idiots have.

drake4 said:
marley said:
drake4 said:
really? you can't understand why there are so much doom threads, when its selling worse then dreamcast and third party support for the console is a about to go the way of the dinosaur, and after a year of being on the market, it already saw a 30% price drop. wal-mart is selling the wiiu delux with nintendoland for 249.00, thats almost the same price as the ps3 in only one year in the market.

The WiiU will pass the Dreamcast next year.  Nintendo hasn't had third party support since the SNES.  The ps3 had multiple hardware revisions and major price cuts during it's first year on the market.  What is your point exactly?

3 out 4 of those consoles have been failures. and still all of those consoles that failed had much better third party support then wiiu.

Why were they failures exactly?  Because they didn't sell the most?  I'm pretty sure they still made Nintendo money, which is the point after all. 

I've owned every system Nintendo has made, and everything after the snes had terrible 3rd party support.  It doesn't matter what sort of metric you want to judge it by, none of them had good 3rd party support.  I'm not sure why you think it matters now.  It's not an unusual situation for Nintendo.  The Wii-u actually started out with pretty good 3rd party support (not that it made any difference).

I don't think anyone buys a Nintendo console for 3rd party games.

Around the Network

half the doom threads are made by Nintendo fans but are blamed on the Sony fans because you know, that's the cool thing to do nowadays and the other half are made by toastboy

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

sure OP, lets focus on what we know: WiiU outsold by PS3 almost 2:1 just last week.

Turkish said:
Nintendos cash reserves and incredible IP's currently dont seem to do much good for Wii U do they? I only see 1 more game that can save the Wii U: Mario Kart. Most popular Mario franchise along NSMB but that is already out on the U and wasnt exactly a system seller.

All hopes are on MK8(not Bayonetta, not X, not Donkey Kong not Yoshi, those games dont have the broad appeal of MK), it is the one and only casual/core game that can bring Wii U sales to acceptable levels (aiming at early ps3 sales is very optimistic...).

Actually, Smash Bros is missing from your list. It sold silly numbers on the GameCube (in comparison to userbase). Also a new big Zelda and Metroid etc.

I'm not worried about Wii U because I have a PS4 as well. But at the moment I have to say Wii U is winning my home console game time.

However, you miss one significant other alternative in your evaluation. Nintendo release a new IP that catches the game console buying imagination.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

marley said:
drake4 said:
marley said:
drake4 said:
really? you can't understand why there are so much doom threads, when its selling worse then dreamcast and third party support for the console is a about to go the way of the dinosaur, and after a year of being on the market, it already saw a 30% price drop. wal-mart is selling the wiiu delux with nintendoland for 249.00, thats almost the same price as the ps3 in only one year in the market.

The WiiU will pass the Dreamcast next year.  Nintendo hasn't had third party support since the SNES.  The ps3 had multiple hardware revisions and major price cuts during it's first year on the market.  What is your point exactly?

3 out 4 of those consoles have been failures. and still all of those consoles that failed had much better third party support then wiiu.

Why were they failures exactly?  Because they didn't sell the most?  I'm pretty sure they still made Nintendo money, which is the point after all. 

I've owned every system Nintendo has made, and everything after the snes had terrible 3rd party support.  It doesn't matter what sort of metric you want to judge it by, none of them had good 3rd party support.  I'm not sure why you think it matters now.  It's not an unusual situation for Nintendo.  The Wii-u actually started out with pretty good 3rd party support (not that it made any difference).

I don't think anyone buys a Nintendo console for 3rd party games.

no they are failures by nintendo standards, thats why nintendo changed  to the blue ocean  strategy with the wii, thats why the wii was a generation behind in terms of power, if the wii failed like the wiiu is currently doing you can be assured that they would have dropped the console race.

Nintendo failures? Given I frequently read the PSP was a failure because it "only" sold 80m vs the DS's 140+m.

Surely the fact that no Nintendo console has ever outsold the PS2 means every one is a failure?

Actually if Wii U was currently doing as it is in most other console generations, it'd be a massively successful console.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.