By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I can't understand the Nintendo doom threads/sentiment

MikeRox said:
Nintendo failures? Given I frequently read the PSP was a failure because it "only" sold 80m vs the DS's 140+m.

Surely the fact that no Nintendo console has ever outsold the PS2 means every one is a failure?

Actually if Wii U was currently doing as it is in most other console generations, it'd be a massively successful console.

you mean selling worse then gamecube and dreamcast after the same time frame, in a generation where game development is way more expensive then any generation your talking about.

Around the Network

You have all that's needed to understand it, OP. It's because Nintendo are a bunch of dirty traitors for winning last gen without focusing in games with explosions, gratuitous violence, uber graphics or deep stories. How dare they to entertain people with games not aimed to hardcore gamers.

drake4 said:
MikeRox said:
Nintendo failures? Given I frequently read the PSP was a failure because it "only" sold 80m vs the DS's 140+m.

Surely the fact that no Nintendo console has ever outsold the PS2 means every one is a failure?

Actually if Wii U was currently doing as it is in most other console generations, it'd be a massively successful console.

you mean selling worse then gamecube and dreamcast after the same time frame, in a generation where game development is way more expensive then any generation your talking about.

Dreamcast wasn't actually an epic failure of a console. SEGA ran out of money to be able to support it further due to their previous misdemeaners, however it still outsold their previous consoles other than the Mega Drive/Genesis.

When you then factor in it only had a shelflife of about 14 months in the West, suddenly it was a much more successful proposition,

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

What? I thought everybody loved doomed threads.
not really. My personal opinion is that people just want attention, whether they are aware of that or not; it is the driving force behind these doomed threads.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

1 person is responsible for like half the threads and we all know who it is...

Around the Network

Now you know how it feels to be a Vita lover or how Sony fans had it when the ps3 was failing. This happens to every fan group.

chapset said:
half the doom threads are made by Nintendo fans but are blamed on the Sony fans because you know, that's the cool thing to do nowadays and the other half are made by toastboy

Yeah and toastboy is a MS fan.

I've never seen anyone on this site claim that Nintendo is doomed. I'll happily make the claim that Nintendo should pull out of the home console business (not handhelds) and go third party because the WiiU is bleeding them money than I can ever dream of. But financially they have something like 8 billion in the bank and the profits from the 3DS prevent them from going too far into the red due to the WiiU. I repeat, Nintendo is not doomed, but the WiiU is some serious dead weight for them right now and Mario is a great franchise that actually deserves a decent userbase to sell to.

For the record, I also think Sony should ditch its TV and VITA products. Sony is not doomed either btw but it's sad to see games like Uncharted GA, Gravity Rush and Killzone Mercs only get a fraction of they sales they should get because they are being released on a dead end platform with a tiny userbase.

It's more so that the WiiU is doomed (It is in some respects, no third party support) rather than Nintendo themselves.

drake4 said:
marley said:
drake4 said:
marley said:
drake4 said:
really? you can't understand why there are so much doom threads, when its selling worse then dreamcast and third party support for the console is a about to go the way of the dinosaur, and after a year of being on the market, it already saw a 30% price drop. wal-mart is selling the wiiu delux with nintendoland for 249.00, thats almost the same price as the ps3 in only one year in the market.

The WiiU will pass the Dreamcast next year.  Nintendo hasn't had third party support since the SNES.  The ps3 had multiple hardware revisions and major price cuts during it's first year on the market.  What is your point exactly?

3 out 4 of those consoles have been failures. and still all of those consoles that failed had much better third party support then wiiu.

Why were they failures exactly?  Because they didn't sell the most?  I'm pretty sure they still made Nintendo money, which is the point after all. 

I've owned every system Nintendo has made, and everything after the snes had terrible 3rd party support.  It doesn't matter what sort of metric you want to judge it by, none of them had good 3rd party support.  I'm not sure why you think it matters now.  It's not an unusual situation for Nintendo.  The Wii-u actually started out with pretty good 3rd party support (not that it made any difference).

I don't think anyone buys a Nintendo console for 3rd party games.

no they are failures by nintendo standards, thats why nintendo changed  to the blue ocean  strategy with the wii, thats why the wii was a generation behind in terms of power, if the wii failed like the wiiu is currently doing you can be assured that they would have dropped the console race.

Seeing more profit with a different strategy does not necessarily mean that the previous strategy was a failure.  It just wasn't as successful.  Being less successful is not the same thing as being unsuccessful.  They made a profit either way, and I think it's highly unlikely that they'd stop doing something that makes them money and grows their franchises.