By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Gay marriage in... Utah? Update: on hold for now

ninetailschris said:
Zappykins said:

Um, no, Marriage is many thousands of rights provided to a couple by the US Government at the State.  Church can do what they want, but the government can not discrimatate against someone because of their gender.  And not giving someone the right to vote, hold a job, or marry the person they love is against the values of the USA.

Government doesn't make laws on love. First of all love is chemical reaction in the brain that is predetermined to happen just like everything you do. Don't use words that don't exist in reality because it will be emotional debate instead of a rational one.

How is marriage a right? Who makes it a right? Isn't that just your subjective opinion?

Marriage for love is both a novel and relatively modern concept, and the Christian aversion to divorce is an oddity even compared to the other Abrahammic religions.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Dogi said:
Zappykins said:
Spazzy_D said:

But how many gay husbands will Utah let you have?

I've asked several Mormons this and none have answered.  They usually just scowl.  I saw one lady with a sign that said, "My grandpa had 4 wives, I just want one!"

But it's a genuine question!  I'd like an aswer two please.

PS The one Mormon that did answer said he just wanted the one he was married to.   Then his husband said, "That's the right answer."

Mormons do not have multiple partners. Not since the 1800's. Been illegal since then and made illegal by the mormons themselves. It's an old misconception.

Actually 'plural marriages' as they call are still a core tenate of their religoun.  They official gave up the practice to allow Utah to become a state, but it is still pratice and still a core value.  But it's only the only man many woman kind.

But they seem to be trying to bring it back if you look at some other cases.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Kane1389 said:
Zappykins said:
Kane1389 said:
Zappykins said:
Kane1389 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Nice. Did not see that coming.

Hopefully this will speed things up in the more resistant states.

Uh, they havent actually legalized gay marrige in Utah

True, but yet again, a same sex marriage ban has been found unconstutional.  It was like withholding the right to vote from women.  Stated with a few states and spread till it was every where.

The states still have the right to defend traditional marrige and the voters can decide on most of the laws. And honestly, I dont think Mormons favour queer marrige very much

What? What is 'traditional marriage' where a women is property of the husband?  One were a family sells off a daughter? Or one with many wives?  or one with man husbands? (those area all Traditions.  You agenda is showing when you try to spin denying civil rights a defending somethingh that never was what you are claiming.)

I use the word traditional as ''standard marrige''   in this context between a man and a woman.  Traditional in this sense means the christian (not jewsih) marrige - you know, the religion on which the entire western morals and laws are based on. 

In the USA Churches will have no say in their ability to keep citizens from their civil rights. It's called the separation of Church and State.  It's one of the founding principals of the US Construction.  Just like how slavery is 100% supported by the Bible, it is not allowed because it violates state and federal laws.

I never said anything about civil rights, did I?  I also never mentioned any churches or any religious institutions at all. You are trying to spin this into anther agonazing gay marrige debate. Do you get a boner by attacking church and religion? I was simply stating that  A STATE has a right to defend a traditional marrige and its laws, federal goverment has no say in Utah's laws regarding gay marrige.

I would hope that the Mormons should spend more of the time and the hundreds of millions of dollars they have spent trying to destroy same sex families on something good and meaningful.  The ironic thing is, with their large families, Mormons they produce more gay kids by percentage than all other families in the USA.  (The number of brothers a male child has directly increased the chances of said child being gay.)  Makes me wonder why they are attacking their own familes.

You do know that LDS church donated almost 1 billion dollars in over 180 countries around the world, right? How much did your beloved LGBT lobby spend on helping innocent, poor and sick people around the world instead of promoting their agenda?

It seems that two men or two women getting married makes you uncomfortable.  May I ask why?

It seems as if you got that impression simply for the sake of arguing? I never stated my stance on gay marrige issue, you just want to use your classic liberal progressive ad hominem and jabs against me because i used the word ''traditional'' in my post. 

It seems that the word traditional makes you uncomfortable. May I ask why?

Ok, So you couldn't answer my quetions. 

But I'll will answer yours:  Because it is a complete and deceptive lie.  It is not suported by Biblical teachings, it's only made up by people against civil rights as some attempt to spin that other people have their families recogized is somehow an attack on them.   (I points out lying is a sin.)

As far at the LGBT lobies spending monies, do you think people should not be allowed to defend themselves when disturbed people try to control others and go after eleminating and removing their rights?  What should women do if someone wanted to remove their right to vote, work or own property?  Just sit there?

The Morman spend million promotion their own agenda, pretty fancy to call it 'charity.'  Do you realize how many cultures they have wipped out to incorporate into their own?

They have even converted Ann Frank something like 9 times to try to make her Mormon, thus attempting to erase her Jewish herritage. 

Also, you don't seem to understand US law.  Federal law, as it was in this case, trumps state law.  A state can not make a law that says women do not have the right to vote - but could have a 'domestic recomendation' because Federal laws guarantee the right of women to vote.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Tell me a funny joke!

ninetailschris said:
curl-6 said:
ninetailschris said:

Do you honestly feel people scared of homosexuals? The idea is to protect marriage not because we want gays dead or hate gays.

Marriage doesn't need protection. Homosexuality does not threaten it.

I would beg to differ. What you are doing is re-defining marriage and rights to whatever someone personally feels. Why not allow multiple wives and husbands? Why not allow marriage between animals and humans? Why not with children under the age of 13? Why not with anything. If you re-define basic rights as anyone could do whatever they like because it's right than you have to question why can't just create my own rights. Why are your rights more true than mine?  Why is anything not a right. Your left with everything relative and nothing meanings anything because it's meaningless like Nietzsche would say. 

Is human rights a man made idea in which is completely subjective and if so why not just say your opinion is as neutral as the opposite opinion? Example, did the nazi do anything wrong because they believe humans rights were for there specific people oppose to you who felt the opposite? Is it just a difference in moral opinions on human rights?

Oh, the old 'the world is ending if we allow this' arguement.

Same Sex Marriage does nothing to address multiple marriages or children, etc.  I have no idea why any resonsable person would think it would. 

All that it does address is the gender of the person to whom one can marry.  It is a just another step to do with gender equality, just like removing gender restrictions on the right to vote.  Did you know women served as elected officals in the US goverment before they even had to vote?

Same sex couples have always been here.  Legal same sex marriage makes stronger couples and a better society in general.

Tell me a funny joke!

Ssenkahdavic said:
I still do not like the idea of "Marriage" of any kind being part of the governments purview. They should not be involved in this.

I know many people who refuse to get married, but want to be considered "Civil Unions" for things like child rearing, visitation rights, etc. They refuse to get married because of the religious context, but still want to tax breaks and other things that come with it. I agree with this.

Interestingly France is the only country that has allowed all genders to chose between a marrige and a domestic partnership. What they found is the number of oppisite sex couples getting married went down in favor of Civil Unions.

Marriage is so ingranded in US Law it's just easier to include same sex couples, rather than change all the books, and Marriage in the USA doesn't have to be a religous thing.

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
ninetailschris said:
Zappykins said:

Um, no, Marriage is many thousands of rights provided to a couple by the US Government at the State.  Church can do what they want, but the government can not discrimatate against someone because of their gender.  And not giving someone the right to vote, hold a job, or marry the person they love is against the values of the USA.

Government doesn't make laws on love. First of all love is chemical reaction in the brain that is predetermined to happen just like everything you do. Don't use words that don't exist in reality because it will be emotional debate instead of a rational one.

How is marriage a right? Who makes it a right? Isn't that just your subjective opinion?

In this case Marriage is a right as it is defined by US Law.  It's not just my opion. 

It is in the US constution and has much to do with how a family is defined.  I think children of same sex parents should have the same rights as any other children.

And technicaly, while I personally find it immoral, people don't have to be in love to get married.  Some people do it for money for immigration prurposes.  They do try to check those couples with an interview, and you can get in major trouble, like lose your citizenship if caught, but it does happen.

Tell me a funny joke!

ninetailschris said:
curl-6 said:
ninetailschris said:

Do you honestly feel people scared of homosexuals? The idea is to protect marriage not because we want gays dead or hate gays.

Marriage doesn't need protection. Homosexuality does not threaten it.

I would beg to differ. What you are doing is re-defining marriage and rights to whatever someone personally feels. Why not allow multiple wives and husbands? Why not allow marriage between animals and humans? Why not with children under the age of 13? Why not with anything. If you re-define basic rights as anyone could do whatever they like because it's right than you have to question why can't just create my own rights. Why are your rights more true than mine?  Why is anything not a right. Your left with everything relative and nothing meanings anything because it's meaningless like Nietzsche would say. 

Is human rights a man made idea in which is completely subjective and if so why not just say your opinion is as neutral as the opposite opinion? Example, did the nazi do anything wrong because they believe humans rights were for there specific people oppose to you who felt the opposite? Is it just a difference in moral opinions on human rights?

I stopped reading this with an open mind the moment you utilized the slippery slope argument.

You've already redefined marriage. Marriage, in the context of human history, has already allowed for the polygamy and polyandry. These types of marriages have existed for as long as the concept of marriage has existed. By refusing to acknowledge these as legitimately defined marriages, you've already redefined what marriage is to fit within your own personal cultural moorings. So that argument simply doesn't work.

It amazes me how any sensible person can make the slipper slope argument in regards to marriage. Children, animals and "anything" else lack one very important legal qualification that adults have: consent. Children are not old enough to consent to most things legally, especially marriage, which is why they can't get married. Same goes with animals and "anything" else. In order for this to happen, this whole idea of consent in legal matters will have to be removed. But for homosexual marriage? We just have to change (or remove) some language in existing marriage laws.

And regarding your comments on marriage having no secular meaning: no one is forcing churches to marrry anyone. If you truly beleive that marriage has no meaning in a secular government, then absolutely nothing is being lost with these laws: the US government has always been secular, meaning marriage never had any meaning in the United States outside of the Church, which won't be impacted by these laws anyway. So I don't really see the issue.

I'm really surprised that there is so much push back on VGchartz. I never understood why people are worried about gay marriage. It's not like us straight people are very good at marriage anyways.

Oh, and I can't stand the "I don't hate gays, I just don't agree with them" argument. How can you disagree with who someone is? That's insane to me.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

whatever said:
ninetailschris said:

"The ability to read is consent?  What are you talking about?  As for the age of consent, that has certainly been studied scientifically and while it will vary based on the individual, I'd like you to find anyone that would agree that 11 is a valid age of consent."

Who is anyone? In history, in science community, or society?  Historically many societies got married to children in 12-13 range hell even younger. You do realize there was points in society where people died around 22 on average,right? In Jewish tradition you become a man at 13 and believe women it was the same or younger (around 12). Why are they wrong? Because they didn't fit your personal classification? Why is it objectively wrong for men to marry kids at the age of constant at the age if it was perfectly ok then? You're being ageist. 

Scientifically if you can read and write you have ability to make rational decisions regardless of subjective norms. Many mental handicap people are at a lower intellect than a 12 year yet marry people of higher intelligence by far. Unless you want to claim that mental challenged people do not have consent than your arguing in a circle based on personal morals. If want to travel that road than your argument here is discrimination in the sense of intelligence. Children and mentally challenge deserve there basic human rights too. Could go into something deeper here if pushed but I highly doubt, unless will push it.

Let's ask some middle eastern, certain Asian countries, or certain South America countries if they agree with your terms on consent because they don't. Your argument about go ask people in Americas is an argument from society norm. Let's go ask nazis if Hitler was wrong at the time. Using social norms to prove something is wrong can't work because the society is already raised to believe certain things therefor arguing something is true from it is circular.

"I am absolutely not contradicting myself.  I am not forcing my belief on you at all.  You can continue to believe that gay marraige is wrong.  I feel that religion is harmful, but I'm not about to try to ban it."

Yes, you are contradicting yourself.  Anytime you affirm something, you at the same time have decline something. When you say want this to happen than you are saying I don't want this happen. When you say I want gay/beastily/pedophile marriages you are saying you can't ban this things and vise-versea therefor you are forcing your beliefs. Laws are made to force people to accept or reject things. I if I ban rape what am I saying? You must reject raping. If I unban rape I'm saying you must accept rape. Arguing oh it doesn't effect you. Doesn't work because if I made law that said kill every blonde child, well for a fact that will never affect me, but the avoids the more important question is it right? I could also make argument something affecting is a very subjective argument in the sense that you could not fully determine how or what affects based on any law. Secondly, are you claiming we make laws that only affect us personally? Would you like me to name some laws that we should get rid of that don't personally affect you. No because that would be silly. Thirdly, what makes your opinion on not effecting people valid beyond personal opinion. What objective moral law determines it true?

"Killing: lack of consent from the one being killed.

Pedophilia: lack of consent of a child.
Bestiality: lack of consent of an animal.
Slavery: lack of consent of the slave.
War: impact on innocent civilians. collateral damage.  impacts on far more individuals than just those that decide to go to war."

I hate do this because I was hoping not pull out my philosophy class on meta-ethics card, but this has been the elephant in the room. But why is not having constant objective at all and not your personal opinion? Pedophilie feels the child has consent or doesn't care, so why does it matter besides, you not liking it? Bestiality animals themselves don't follow consent laws nor care, why is your opinion objective that it wrong when they don't care. Slavery if the slave owner doesn't care why does your opinion matter more than him? Your opinion verse his, why are you more moral than him beside personal moral ideas in your head. Give proof that your opinion is more than just another opinion. Don't bother using bandwagon fallacy because we already proved why that is incoherent and could justify anything.War can also be highly profitable for certain countries like during the depression the war helped many from being unemployed. Why should I care objectively that others get hurt if I can come out better in the end? Maybe war is good because I can get more land for my people and money. Why is your opinion I'm wrong anymore valid than mine. You live where you because of war unless your going to give your land back to the natives. But you won't because it's not social advantageous,is it? Your home and life so you can play videos games was only possible because of War therefor unless you are willing to give it up,because of all the poor non-consent people who died for it, you are contradicting yourself for your own benefit and hiding behind it by simply by protect yourself and proclaiming it to be moral. Every argument you made is based on personal benefit and you yourself live by that way. So, why not just live in total self-benefit? 

Basically, why is your standard at all the more valid than anyone else? Apparently you have this black and white moral objective laws that I haven't seen but you keep on pushing onto me. If you can't prove that morally your right than what worth is your morals that you made up and why are pushing it on me? Why peach me your morals when you can't prove them true yourself? You can't even prove killing is wrong without contradicting yourself or showing why it is objectively wrong.

"I hate do this because I was hoping not pull out my philosophy class on meta-ethics card..."

So this tells me you will soon follow with incoherent babbling, and you certainly obliged.  I provide you with solid legal and moral reasons for why your scenarios don't apply, and you follow with nothing.  The pedophile "thinks" the child is consenting, that's a rational argument to you?  The slave owner doesn't care?  That's not what I was arguing, so it's irrelevant.  I was arguing that you don't have 2 consenting parties.  I guess that went over your head.

So let's see where we are.  I've argued that I should have no legal or moral say in what 2 consenting adults do in private, whether I agree with it or not.  No personal bias or emotion.  And you've argued, well..., you haven't argued anything.  You didn't answer my question about how 2 consenting adults, that you don't even know, getting married has any negative impact on you whatsoever.  Please don't bother responding unless you intend to answer.  Because if you can't answer this without any personal belief or emotion, then you have no basis for your opinion that gay marriage should be illegal.

"So this tells me you will soon follow with incoherent babbling, and you certainly obliged."

Let me explain something that everyone seems to not understand. The arguments I make come straight in a sense from scholarly articles I read on meta-ethics. Example: Doing Ethics: Moral Reasoning and Contemporary Issues. A good read for those who don't understand meta-ethics or understand how to frame morality in a coherent way.

Define my terms for those confused or want simple layman understanding.

objective truth: true regardless of personal opinions.

subjective: based on personal opinions.

Meta-ethics: The study of the foundation of morally. Why do we consider certain morals true and why are they true.

Morality: the standard by which we consider what is right or wrong.

Social Norm: something we consider right because of our own society. Not necessarily true for other societies to be considered true.

Circular reasoning: to assume the conclusion into the argument itself.

Bandwagon fallacy: to say something is right because the majority agrees. (I.e God exist because there more who believe than don't)

"I provide you with solid legal"

I will explain my points in simpler terms and in layman format. If you don't understand still please tell me and I will gladly try to further explain in depth for you in a easier way. Ok, let's begin. What is the problem with from arguing from legal stance on why your morality is true? The reason why it is incoherent is that it argues from a social norm which is really a bandwagon fallacy that is circular in reason. Let's explain why. When you argue that x( x being the legal law) is true because of x says it's true, your arguing your conclusion into the arguement. Let me further explain with deductive reasoning:

1. If x is legally wrong than it is morally wrong.

2. X is legally wrong.

3. Therefor, X is morally wrong.

This is your argument. That because in America it is legally wrong( consent) than it is morally wrong. Correct me if I'm wrong, ok? So, that sounds like a logically coherent argument right? Well, no. Why? You haven't answered the question why is the legal law itself true. We are forced to believe that the law itself is objective. But why? Is it because many people agree? Well we know that can't be true because than that would lead to more problems like is anything right because it's agreed with the most. When people change from agreeing to disagreeing on that stance is it both true and false at the time? Obvious not because that go against logic number one law the law of non-contradiction. The idea that nothing can be both true and false. So, is it right because it's right? No, because they would just be arguing in circle were anyone could claim anything true if they proclaim it. But, wait maybe you feel that it is so obvious that it's like self-evident? Here is problem can you really prove that is without a shadow of doubt that isn't based on your own personal morality or random decision based on nothing more than chance. What do I mean by chance? I am saying is, simple is it true because it's actually true (objective) or that the current society just picked and could likely change they morality like most societies do(subjective).

Let's use your own argument. Is consent right because it's legally right or is just difference of opinion. Well to give you the maximum chance of testing this to be true, I will not use other countries. I will use good ole' USA.  Does the USA actually promote the idea of consent is what determines sex or marriage? Wait.. let me do one more thing to further help your claim. I will not use an argument from mentally challenge people. Seem fair? Hopefully I maximized this experiment in your favor. Wait... let's use a issues you claimed to be true about, how about beastlity and consent? Ok, so let's the do the experiment ! What are our factors in this? The issue must be about beastlity and only about beastlity. I can't use societies besides America. No, using animal moral laws only the United States. So, does the United States have a self-evident belief that beastlity is wrong because of consent. Let's see what the results conclude!

-scanning-

Well I have some bad news for you seems the United States failed the test.

How? Over ten states have legalized beastlity and there are actually more states that legalized then in previous history. Guess how? Through the courts. Apparently the animals have enough consent for me to have some fun with them. Let's name states. Florida, Hawaii,Iowa,Kectucky,Louisiana,Missouri,Arizona,Colorado, Connecticut,Montana, etc. Shows to me that consent does not stop love. You argued that this things don't exist in the perfect law and consent was so highly viewed. Your own country doesn't agree with your terms on morality, other societies don't, and I don't? Why are you right. What is there left to defend? Nothing exist for you to defend. Bet most of the people reading my reply on my pedophile not caring about consent are not going to reply to this? What are you going to say? The animal has more consent then 11 year old. I can have sex with my horse but that child no way he is highly underdeveloped compared to that horse in intelligence or consent. Consent becomes just a buzzword at this point doesn't. Are we going to pretend that I never wrote this and we truly believe in consent? I live in Florida right now I could invite a cop over my house to have sex with any animal. Maybe a dog I just bought or maybe my beautiful horse. Think about that and read that slowly 3 times. Tell, me you think law is objectivly in any sense. Why don't I invite you over my house and watch a dog have sex with another human and than look me in eyes and tell "well that's the law and they agree it's ok, it has enough consent to ok this." They believe consent doesn't matter. The judge. The person having sex with the animal. The people who believe no matter what the law if it's a law and it was agreed upon, it's right. Doesn't effect you? We have two consenting creatures having sex what's the problem? The problem living by the law as the objective moral it's like the saying of warriors in ancient past "live by sword, die by the sword". You will realize real quick this world does agree on any one issue completely even in your own society and the quicker realize that you accept that the more time you have re-think your beliefs. Who do you have besides yourself to convince that constant matters to anyone. Every law made by humans are in self-interest it's time to drink that morning coffee and wake up.

"Because if you can't answer this without any personal belief or emotion, "

This is my point and my problem with secularism is that you can't get any moral truths. You left either going with flow or whatever or giving up on morals. When look the problem of secularism is we don't know why anything is wrong and we try to speak up for your morals you will be flooded by the voices of "what is right for and what's right for me." There is nothing that transcends any one person opinion because it's all relative. We have to stop and say what do I really believe?

Personal note: I hope you didn't believe I attacked in any of my discussions. I only wanted to attack your arguments. I have no problems with you personally and I actually enjoyed debating you. In philosophy there is a saying "attack the arguments not the man". Anytime I used ignorant or incoherent I am saying your argument is incoherent and ignorant of the facts. People tend to think those words means they think the person is stupid or incompendent. But fact is ignorance is biss with everyone and that includes me. If it seems I pushed to hard it was because I was trying for you see my point of view. When reading your work I tried to see things from your point of view instead of just pushing my points. I'm truly sorry if I offended you or you felt I thought less of you. I want to stress I do not care to attack you as person my desires are to attack your arguments as you know the Internet is hard to show how on truly feels. I hope I am able to convert that message with this post. I had a lot fun debating you. I look forward to your response. Thank you.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Blacksaber said:
gergroy said:
curl-6 said:
ninetailschris said:

Pedophilie feels the child has consent or doesn't care, so why does it matter besides, you not liking it? 

There are no words.

Lol, I think that is one of the worst arguments I have ever seen somebody make on here. Incredible...

Hard to disagree with your statment.

I don't know why a mod is encouraging someone quote-mine and than actually discuss the content of my post. It would be like me quoting an article on why Hitler was a bad person and quoting one part without putting in context what he was actually saying.

My new post further explains my point in respectful matter where I give a even more detail on reasoning why the society itself doesn't following consent. If you disagree with my points then tell me why and let me is it simply a misunderstanding of my point. My arguments themselves are my personal beliefs but arguments that attack arguments. I don't know if you ever watched philosophical debate or read before but this how it usually conducts itself. One person shows some wrong with there point by playing the role of what would contradict the argument. Example, if I argued that abortion was wrong morally, how the extremes of the opposition opens up because of his ideology.

I would greatly appreciate if you fully read my post instead of the drive-by comments. If you have question on what I am saying do so by asking, but to do "1 line" wow that's crazy or does he really believe that?

Is not only disrespectful but goes against the very purpose of moderation which is to promote healthily discussions. If you feel that you can't do this for any reason be that read my post fully or ask questions, then I respectful ask you don't bother responding to me or encouraging such behavior. I would actually like to have discussion that go beyond one-liners. Like the current person I'm debating who is giving a nice discussion.

Thank you and hopefully we can have nice discussion.

(if this a double post. Merge it with some space of my last post)

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max