By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dark Souls Producer says Wii U audience doesn't care about Dark Souls.

Aielyn said:
Torillian said:
ugh.....can't believe you want to agree with this self indulgent masturbatory drivel.  The idea that any fanbase has higher flipping standards than another is the stupidest thing I've heard in a while.  Particularly when your proof is just "that's how I feel" and a single example of a well selling poorly reviewed game.  Here's a check of a couple of the games that topped the Wii charts and their metas.

Wii Play 28.75 million sales Meta score: 58

Mario Party 8      7.97m sales Meta score: 62

Michael Jackson: The Experience  4.24m sales Meta Score 56

You're a mod, you should NOT be making that sort of statement. If you can't be respectful when posting, perhaps you should give up your mod-ship, or have a second account for that sort of talk.

Anyway, I like how you use meta scores, which are averages across a group of hardcore gamers who rated games, to show that pick-up-and-play games are low quality. I have both Wii Play and Mario Party 8 - both are very good games. And you can see the effect of "this is casual, therefore it's not as good" by looking at the distribution of ratings. Mario Party 8 averages 63% on Gamerankings... but GamePro gave it 9/10, and JIVEMagazine gave it 5/5.

On the flipside, IGN gave it 5.2/10... and here's the first line of their verdict: "Hudson and Nintendo really need to rethink the Mario Party formula, but will they?". And here's the last line: "In spite of our issues with the game, people who loved Mario Party 7 will probably enjoy Mario Party 8, too, but we've chosen not to reward Nintendo with an undeserved high score for a copy/paste sequel."

In the case of Michael Jackson: The Experience, a look at what reviewers actually said is rather revealing. For instance, in the Destructoid review (5/10), the main complaints are the difficulty (it's too hard), the lack of unlockables (everything is available from the start), and the fact that it uses the Wii Remote rather than doing full-body tracking a la Kinect. IGN's review (3.5/10) said "The biggest problem with Michael Jackson: The Experience is obvious when you consider the Wii's control setup. This platform wasn't designed to read a player's entire body, so a dance game that tasks players with moving their entire body presents an inherent disconnect."

So you tell me - are these reviews reasonable? Are they being evaluated from the perspective of a fan of these types of games? Or are they being evaluated according to "hardcore" sensibilities, and thus being given relatively low scores as a result?

People need to realize the difference between something said about a post and something said about a person.  I can't call you stupid that's against the rules, but if I have good reasoning I can call your post stupid without any issue.  Can't go crazy with it but it's reasonable to toss out there for a particularly repugnant post/stance (aka yours)

Why can't I use metacritic?  That's exactly what you used in your own analysis.  Pretty convenient stance you're taking that all those high selling Wii games were actually just misunderstood while Haze is a pile of crap that Sony fans bought because they don't know what a good game is.  

Around the Network

Sony/Microsoft fanboys on this site needs to learn how to shut up when it comes to Nintendo if they are unable to think beyond cliches. If you need to let some steam out, get a punching bag and stop lowering this forum to a IGN comments section.

That being said, Namco made a good financial decision.

DevilRising said:
In short: He's a moron. If they made a Wii U exclusive version of Dark Souls, it'd sell.

I disagree with you.

curl-6 said:
As a Wii U owner, I certainly don't care for cheap deaths and tedious repetition.

Every death in the souls games is the players fault, if you're dying then your not good enough. the repetition is also only there if you suck, I've never found either game very hard.

Gotta love the blame shifting. Do people actually think quotes like these cause bad sales? Look, i guarentee you 99% of people who will buy a console never seen this and wont even know about this game till close to release time

Around the Network
Torillian said:
People need to realize the difference between something said about a post and something said about a person.  I can't call you stupid that's against the rules, but if I have good reasoning I can call your post stupid without any issue.  Can't go crazy with it but it's reasonable to toss out there for a particularly repugnant post/stance (aka yours)

Why can't I use metacritic?  That's exactly what you used in your own analysis.  Pretty convenient stance you're taking that all those high selling Wii games were actually just misunderstood while Haze is a pile of crap that Sony fans bought because they don't know what a good game is.

I didn't say you were attacking me. I said that, as a mod, you should be exercising more restraint, and using more respectful language. Calling a post or argument stupid (or, better yet, misguided) is one thing, calling it "self indulgent masturbatory drivel" is quite another. And for the record, the phrase "Self indulgent" *does* refer to me, and not to the post or the argument.

And when did I use metacritic in my analysis? I used Gamerankings, for one thing. For another, Haze was panned for, and I'm going to quote IGN directly here, "a horrible plot, weak gameplay mechanics and visuals that are truly underwhelming". Its explanation for receiving a 4.5 for gameplay was "A creative concept hampered by gimmicks, a weak story and poor AI, Haze is a disappointment from a developer well versed in shooter mechanics". Now compare with the examples I gave from Michael Jackson: The Experience and Mario Party 8, and tell me which ones you think are rated lower because of problems with the game, and which are rated lower because the game wasn't the reviewer's proverbial cup of tea.

I referred to Haze's Gamerankings ranking for one simple reason - it's a game within a genre that most reviewers like, with a style of play intended for those reviewers, and thus comparing it to, say, the reviews for Call of Duty is a reasonable thing to do.

The value of game reviews depends on the type of game, you see. This is best demonstrated by the fact that one of the most important games of the last generation, Wii Sports, was rated 76%, placing it below games like Red Steel 2, Rayman Raving Rabbids, and LEGO Rock Band.

think-man said:
curl-6 said:
As a Wii U owner, I certainly don't care for cheap deaths and tedious repetition.

Every death in the souls games is the players fault, if you're dying then your not good enough. the repetition is also only there if you suck, I've never found either game very hard.

A friend and I beat the tutorial and got halfway through Undead Burgh without dying... while each of us was holding half the controller. Yes, I used my left hand to control movement, shielding/parrying, and item selection, while he used his right hand to dodge, attack, use items, etc. We'll finish that playthrough eventually, I hope.

I remember when I used to be bad at Dark Souls. Then I played Monster Hunter. Haven't had a problem with it since.

Aielyn said:
Torillian said:
ugh.....can't believe you want to agree with this self indulgent masturbatory drivel.  The idea that any fanbase has higher flipping standards than another is the stupidest thing I've heard in a while.  Particularly when your proof is just "that's how I feel" and a single example of a well selling poorly reviewed game.  Here's a check of a couple of the games that topped the Wii charts and their metas.

Wii Play 28.75 million sales Meta score: 58

Mario Party 8      7.97m sales Meta score: 62

Michael Jackson: The Experience  4.24m sales Meta Score 56

You're a mod, you should NOT be making that sort of statement. If you can't be respectful when posting, perhaps you should give up your mod-ship, or have a second account for that sort of talk.

Anyway, I like how you use meta scores, which are averages across a group of hardcore gamers who rated games, to show that pick-up-and-play games are low quality. I have both Wii Play and Mario Party 8 - both are very good games. And you can see the effect of "this is casual, therefore it's not as good" by looking at the distribution of ratings. Mario Party 8 averages 63% on Gamerankings... but GamePro gave it 9/10, and JIVEMagazine gave it 5/5.

On the flipside, IGN gave it 5.2/10... and here's the first line of their verdict: "Hudson and Nintendo really need to rethink the Mario Party formula, but will they?". And here's the last line: "In spite of our issues with the game, people who loved Mario Party 7 will probably enjoy Mario Party 8, too, but we've chosen not to reward Nintendo with an undeserved high score for a copy/paste sequel."

In the case of Michael Jackson: The Experience, a look at what reviewers actually said is rather revealing. For instance, in the Destructoid review (5/10), the main complaints are the difficulty (it's too hard), the lack of unlockables (everything is available from the start), and the fact that it uses the Wii Remote rather than doing full-body tracking a la Kinect. IGN's review (3.5/10) said "The biggest problem with Michael Jackson: The Experience is obvious when you consider the Wii's control setup. This platform wasn't designed to read a player's entire body, so a dance game that tasks players with moving their entire body presents an inherent disconnect."

So you tell me - are these reviews reasonable? Are they being evaluated from the perspective of a fan of these types of games? Or are they being evaluated according to "hardcore" sensibilities, and thus being given relatively low scores as a result?

This is one of the most  ridiulous taking things way too serious posts I have ever seen on this site.

Aielyn said:
oniyide said:
@Aielyn im not going to quote your thing its too long, but AC4 adn COD ghosts for Wii U sales make it all a moot point, there is CLEARLY a different audience on WIi U/ Wii than the others. and bringing up PS4/xone makes it worst as those versions of the games did much better despite being launch games. People can whine all they want, all the guy saying was the audience was different its always been like that people were just lying to themselves, now its getting harder to do that.

And BTW just cause 3rd parties didnt put the games on Wii YOU wanted to play doesnt mean it didnt get plenty of support from 3rd parties, that is factual wrong.

CoD Ghosts and AC4 both lack DLC, which are major selling points for both games. And as I've pointed out with regards to Ghosts, third parties seem to think that the Wii or Wii U version should sell without any mention in any of their advertising, with features missing, with almost zero support post-release, and with the game not even confirmed to exist on Wii/WiiU until something like 4-5 months after confirmation of other versions.

As for PS4/XBO, I only brought up the fact that they point to lack of install base for Wii U, but didn't have any qualms about install base on PS4/XBO despite them having a zero install base at the time - like I said, hypocrisy. And when you consider that both ACIII and CoD:BO2 were inferior on Wii U compared with other versions despite being on a more powerful system, while the PS4 and XBO versions were clearly superior in their respective case, plus the fact that Wii U owners had better games to choose from, means that you shouldn't be surprised.

And I'm sorry, but you seem to have confused what I was talking about, regarding support. I'm not saying third parties didn't put a lot of games on the Wii. What I'm saying is that they didn't put a lot of quality games on the Wii. The only third parties that really tried to put quality games on the Wii were Sega, Ubisoft (Montpellier and Paris, mostly), LucasArts, and a few specific studios from other publishers (such as the team behind Tiger Woods PGA Tour). And these are the ones that sold well. The amount of actual shovelware pumped out by what should have been the best publishers, that then sold miniscule amounts on the Wii, is astounding - and yet, they kept at it, because those shovelware games cost so little to develop (you get what you pay for) that they were profitable when they sold under 50k. Meanwhile, Nintendo produced quality game after quality game, and sales of Nintendo games reflect that.

DLC is NOT a major selling point for AC, if it were then the PS3 version would trounce the 360 version since it usually has exclusive stuff. I dont even think you follow that series. COD maybe, but i seriously doubt its stopping that MUCH people from buying it. 

They didnt have any qualms about PS4/Xone cause they knew the audience woudl buy it...Wii U well they tried (some of them) and the sales for the game prove they were right. How were those games inferior? By not having DLC? its not like its free for the other versions. Funny is how some were bragging that the WIi U versions(especially of Blops2) were superior and all of a sudden when they sell like crap the excuses come. From all the reviews ive read they run about the same as the PS360 versions. I seriously doubt you played any of them. AC3>NSMBWiiU see how opinions work? They are not facts.

Quality is subjective. They kept at it for the reasons you've stated but i dont see the problem. Again quality is subjective, what is the difference between JD and Country dance? What is the difference between Zumba and Jillian Micheals workout? Using sales as a barometer for quality has and will always be wrong.

think-man said:
curl-6 said:

I'm no stranger to difficulty. But Dark and Demon's Souls are just plain cheap. Removing what could be hours of progress on dying is unacceptable. Having to redo what you have already done is a textbook example of bad game design. It just isn't fun.