By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dark Souls Producer says Wii U audience doesn't care about Dark Souls.

Drakrami said:
Your title twists his quotes. It is not exactly what he said.

Enough said.

Glad i'm not the only who noticed this.

Around the Network

A moderator should change the misleading thread title.

Soundwave said:
Ah yes, the old "only Nintendo fans know a quality game! Keep your third party game! I didn't want it anyway!" line of reasoning. Been seeing that card played once and awhile for about 15 years now.

If you're referring to my post... that wasn't what I said. I said that the audience doesn't tolerate lower quality, on the whole, and that third parties that complain about their sales on Nintendo systems are almost always the same third parties that put out inferior products on Nintendo consoles. Meanwhile, when third parties put in the effort and make quality games on Nintendo systems, they typically get stronger sales as a result, compared with sales on other platforms, as described at the start of my post.

Examples of third party franchises getting strong results on Nintendo platforms include Resident Evil, LEGO Star Wars, Monster Hunter, Sonic, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, SoulCalibur, and Dragon Quest, to name a few. What I'm saying is, you bring the quality to a Nintendo platform, and you'll get the sales. The third parties that complain about Nintendo console owners only buying Nintendo games are the same ones that don't bring quality games to Nintendo consoles. You never hear Ubisoft Montpellier complain about Nintendo console owners only buying Nintendo games. You don't hear Sega complaining about it. You don't hear Warner Bros complaining about it.

It's not "only Nintendo fans know a quality game", it's "Nintendo fans are spoiled for choice in terms of quality games, thanks to Nintendo, so why would they bother buying your crappy game?"

BasilZero said:
Saying an audience is different isnt the same as the audience doesnt care.

Because different audiences could possibly care about the same subject.

No. Everyone must stay in their neatly segregated checkboxes. Marketers confuse easily. We have to think of them.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

oniyide said:
@Aielyn im not going to quote your thing its too long, but AC4 adn COD ghosts for Wii U sales make it all a moot point, there is CLEARLY a different audience on WIi U/ Wii than the others. and bringing up PS4/xone makes it worst as those versions of the games did much better despite being launch games. People can whine all they want, all the guy saying was the audience was different its always been like that people were just lying to themselves, now its getting harder to do that.

And BTW just cause 3rd parties didnt put the games on Wii YOU wanted to play doesnt mean it didnt get plenty of support from 3rd parties, that is factual wrong.

CoD Ghosts and AC4 both lack DLC, which are major selling points for both games. And as I've pointed out with regards to Ghosts, third parties seem to think that the Wii or Wii U version should sell without any mention in any of their advertising, with features missing, with almost zero support post-release, and with the game not even confirmed to exist on Wii/WiiU until something like 4-5 months after confirmation of other versions.

As for PS4/XBO, I only brought up the fact that they point to lack of install base for Wii U, but didn't have any qualms about install base on PS4/XBO despite them having a zero install base at the time - like I said, hypocrisy. And when you consider that both ACIII and CoD:BO2 were inferior on Wii U compared with other versions despite being on a more powerful system, while the PS4 and XBO versions were clearly superior in their respective case, plus the fact that Wii U owners had better games to choose from, means that you shouldn't be surprised.

And I'm sorry, but you seem to have confused what I was talking about, regarding support. I'm not saying third parties didn't put a lot of games on the Wii. What I'm saying is that they didn't put a lot of quality games on the Wii. The only third parties that really tried to put quality games on the Wii were Sega, Ubisoft (Montpellier and Paris, mostly), LucasArts, and a few specific studios from other publishers (such as the team behind Tiger Woods PGA Tour). And these are the ones that sold well. The amount of actual shovelware pumped out by what should have been the best publishers, that then sold miniscule amounts on the Wii, is astounding - and yet, they kept at it, because those shovelware games cost so little to develop (you get what you pay for) that they were profitable when they sold under 50k. Meanwhile, Nintendo produced quality game after quality game, and sales of Nintendo games reflect that.

Around the Network

Every time I read this thread title, it's like I'm being stabbed in the heart. I would buy Dark Souls on Wii U. I would buy it twice. I would buy the first game at full price and all of the DLC, I would buy the second game at full price and all of the DLC, I would buy them on Wii U even if I already owned them for PC, I would buy them on Wii U even if I didn't own a Wii U yet, I would buy them in a box, on a train, in a house, anywhere. I need more Dark Souls in my life and the suggestion that I don't care about the series makes me very sad.

Torillian said:
ugh.....can't believe you want to agree with this self indulgent masturbatory drivel.  The idea that any fanbase has higher flipping standards than another is the stupidest thing I've heard in a while.  Particularly when your proof is just "that's how I feel" and a single example of a well selling poorly reviewed game.  Here's a check of a couple of the games that topped the Wii charts and their metas.

Wii Play 28.75 million sales Meta score: 58

Mario Party 8      7.97m sales Meta score: 62

Michael Jackson: The Experience  4.24m sales Meta Score 56

You're a mod, you should NOT be making that sort of statement. If you can't be respectful when posting, perhaps you should give up your mod-ship, or have a second account for that sort of talk.

Anyway, I like how you use meta scores, which are averages across a group of hardcore gamers who rated games, to show that pick-up-and-play games are low quality. I have both Wii Play and Mario Party 8 - both are very good games. And you can see the effect of "this is casual, therefore it's not as good" by looking at the distribution of ratings. Mario Party 8 averages 63% on Gamerankings... but GamePro gave it 9/10, and JIVEMagazine gave it 5/5.

On the flipside, IGN gave it 5.2/10... and here's the first line of their verdict: "Hudson and Nintendo really need to rethink the Mario Party formula, but will they?". And here's the last line: "In spite of our issues with the game, people who loved Mario Party 7 will probably enjoy Mario Party 8, too, but we've chosen not to reward Nintendo with an undeserved high score for a copy/paste sequel."

In the case of Michael Jackson: The Experience, a look at what reviewers actually said is rather revealing. For instance, in the Destructoid review (5/10), the main complaints are the difficulty (it's too hard), the lack of unlockables (everything is available from the start), and the fact that it uses the Wii Remote rather than doing full-body tracking a la Kinect. IGN's review (3.5/10) said "The biggest problem with Michael Jackson: The Experience is obvious when you consider the Wii's control setup. This platform wasn't designed to read a player's entire body, so a dance game that tasks players with moving their entire body presents an inherent disconnect."

So you tell me - are these reviews reasonable? Are they being evaluated from the perspective of a fan of these types of games? Or are they being evaluated according to "hardcore" sensibilities, and thus being given relatively low scores as a result?

LurkerJ said:
Boutros said:
LurkerJ said:
It's not like Dark Souls has SO MANY FANS on the HD consoles. It sold 2 millions combined on both, PS3 and X360.

160 million install base and it only managed 2 millions despite being a critical hit. Why was there no Wii version? The game is ugly and it fits the Wii controls. I would've tested the waters with a Wii version at least.

Is this really a question?

Yes, it is. Wii U is an unmatched failure, don't make games for it. What about the Wii?

The late PC BROKEN version port sold 300k and it's getting the Dark Souls 2. I would've made it for the Wii if 300k copies on PC were enough to guarantee a sequel.

Blighttown ran way below 30fps on the PS3, do you really want it to see it running at 2 frames per second on a Wii?

The other option would be to dumb down the whole DS experience to make it even playable on a console where most third party games don't matter anyway.

As a Wii U owner, I certainly don't care for cheap deaths and tedious repetition.

Lol someone in the thread already nailed it. 160 million install base and it only sold 2 million.
Was a decent game but nothing even close to some of the games that Nintendo produces....that ignorant 3rd party dev should have been taking notes from Nintendo