By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dark Souls Producer says Wii U audience doesn't care about Dark Souls.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
JazzB1987 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JazzB1987 said:
I own a WiiU I own Dark Souls on PC hmmmm

I think you just proved him right. Think about it....if you bought Dark Souls on PC would the Wii U be your console of choice to play it on?

I buy every multiplatform game on PC  why would I limit myself to inferior stuff?   (sure owning Dark Souls on PC is everything but better than the console version but thats like the first game ever xD. Well mods make it the better version)

If it would have cool gamepad functionality like lets say 2 player mode   1 on TV and 1 on gamepad (does not matter if its real coop or the pseudo "ghost" coop Dark Souls has)  I would buy it.

Gimme a reason to buy a console version instead of complaining that I wont buy it anyways.  I own Demon Souls on PS3 because there is no PC version.  If there would be no PC version of Dakr Souls2 I would def buy it on WiiU.

Doing stuff like Darksiders   (being console only just to come out on PC half a year later) results in me not buying the console version unless I am 100% sure there is no PC version coming (by then the game is like 10 -15 bucks)

I felt cheated by the Devs/THQ when I bought the 360 version just to find out a better PC version comes out.  Same happend with  TombRaider PC and then the better PS4 and X1 version. (seriously what is their excuse for not having the X1 PS4 features on PC rofl....)   I will not buy the next TombRaider game unless it is 5 bucks because of what they did.

Just saying...you proved him right that Dark Souls on the Wii U wouldn't be your first choice. It's either HD Twins or PC for a lot of people. Nintendo products are not on the radar. The majority of people are going to play it on the main  two consoles regardless of how 'superior' the PC experience is. Games are meant to be played, if you want to screw with them mods are always there on PC. No problem with that, I am just saying that the guy isn't wrong.

For me it would be PC or Wiiu not PS4 or X1 because in terms of gameplay PS4 and X1 dont really offer that much  Wiiu with its gamepad does.

And since neither X1 or PS4 seem to have mod support  WiiU (for the gamepad) and PC (for the modability) are no brainers.

Graphics is not important. And as you said games are ment to be played (not looked at) and you can play EVERY SINGLE GAME so much better on PC because of the freedom the platform offers you. Its just that people dont get it because of marketing and well maybe ignorance?

Well the guy is technically wrong because the devs decide what people are going to buy.  If there would be a FIFA with 1 single team on PS4 and X1  and the complete game will only be available on WiiU for the next 3 years then the Fifa fanbase would move to WiiU. Like the jRPG fanbase moved from N64 to PS1. Or like half of the "mainstream fanbase" moved from PS2 to 360. But instead of working to make Wiiu a platform thats worth developing for  they just go  NAAH IM TO LAZY FUCK THAT.

Devs made an effort to make the Playstation brand huge. They did so with the xbox brand.  They have no interest in bulding a new userbase because its easier to just be lazy  and thats why we have that N64 GC Wii WiiU problem with third parties.     Making a game and then giving up does not work. COD3 on Wii sold great almost identical to the 360 version even tho the 360 came out a year earlier. Then the biggest COD game ever  skipped Wii (MW1) and activision fucked up. Bringing a reflex edition to Wii 1 year to late put the nail into the COD userbase on Nintendo platforms. 

Around the Network

I doubt it would do well on the Wii U. It certainly won't help the system sales.
People shouldn't really be upset - wii u owners will eventually have to accept the reality that we will be missing out on many 3rd party games

Jay520 said:
LurkerJ said:
2. I am not changing the title. It's not literal but it carries the same meaning.

If it carried the same meaning, then there would be no reason to change the original quote.

True :-p

Boutros said:
The question is more why would you only own a Wii U if you like games like Dark Souls?

Because people can like Dark Souls and Mario at the same time.

The gamepad is very useful in any game that never pauses. However it's dark souls, which I like to play in a completely dark room. The light from the gamepad would be distracting. The gamepad has a camera, it would be cool if it auto turned off when you're not looking at it. Tilt would also work.

Around the Network
HintHRO said:
Does he have something to back that up? Of course not. Like all the ignorant third party developers.

Sales of third party M rated software are proof enough.

JazzB1987 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JazzB1987 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JazzB1987 said:

I think you just proved him right. Think about it....if you bought Dark Souls on PC would the Wii U be your console of choice to play it on?

I buy every multiplatform game on PC  why would I limit myself to inferior stuff?   (sure owning Dark Souls on PC is everything but better than the console version but thats like the first game ever xD. Well mods make it the better version)

If it would have cool gamepad functionality like lets say 2 player mode   1 on TV and 1 on gamepad (does not matter if its real coop or the pseudo "ghost" coop Dark Souls has)  I would buy it.

Gimme a reason to buy a console version instead of complaining that I wont buy it anyways.  I own Demon Souls on PS3 because there is no PC version.  If there would be no PC version of Dakr Souls2 I would def buy it on WiiU.

Doing stuff like Darksiders   (being console only just to come out on PC half a year later) results in me not buying the console version unless I am 100% sure there is no PC version coming (by then the game is like 10 -15 bucks)

I felt cheated by the Devs/THQ when I bought the 360 version just to find out a better PC version comes out.  Same happend with  TombRaider PC and then the better PS4 and X1 version. (seriously what is their excuse for not having the X1 PS4 features on PC rofl....)   I will not buy the next TombRaider game unless it is 5 bucks because of what they did.

Just saying...you proved him right that Dark Souls on the Wii U wouldn't be your first choice. It's either HD Twins or PC for a lot of people. Nintendo products are not on the radar. The majority of people are going to play it on the main  two consoles regardless of how 'superior' the PC experience is. Games are meant to be played, if you want to screw with them mods are always there on PC. No problem with that, I am just saying that the guy isn't wrong.

For me it would be PC or Wiiu not PS4 or X1 because in terms of gameplay PS4 and X1 dont really offer that much  Wiiu with its gamepad does.

And since neither X1 or PS4 seem to have mod support  WiiU (for the gamepad) and PC (for the modability) are no brainers.

Graphics is not important. And as you said games are ment to be played (not looked at) and you can play EVERY SINGLE GAME so much better on PC because of the freedom the platform offers you. Its just that people dont get it because of marketing and well maybe ignorance?

Well the guy is technically wrong because the devs decide what people are going to buy.  If there would be a FIFA with 1 single team on PS4 and X1  and the complete game will only be available on WiiU for the next 3 years then the Fifa fanbase would move to WiiU. Like the jRPG fanbase moved from N64 to PS1. Or like half of the "mainstream fanbase" moved from PS2 to 360. But instead of working to make Wiiu a platform thats worth developing for  they just go  NAAH IM TO LAZY FUCK THAT.

Devs made an effort to make the Playstation brand huge. They did so with the xbox brand.  They have no interest in bulding a new userbase because its easier to just be lazy  and thats why we have that N64 GC Wii WiiU problem with third parties.     Making a game and then giving up does not work. COD3 on Wii sold great almost identical to the 360 version even tho the 360 came out a year earlier. Then the biggest COD game ever  skipped Wii (MW1) and activision fucked up. Bringing a reflex edition to Wii 1 year to late put the nail into the COD userbase on Nintendo platforms. 

I am more inclined to believe you would buy the next gen HD twins versions of any multiplat game over the WIi U still because you wrote this: 

"I buy every multiplatform game on PC  why would I limit myself to inferior stuff?   (sure owning Dark Souls on PC is everything but better than the console version but thats like the first game ever xD."

The HD twins versions would be much closer to the PC version than the Wii U version. You said it yourself "why would I limit myself to inferior stuff?"

Luckily enough for your logic the PS3 and 360 versions of multiplats would be inferior but theres still a problem. For some reason they perform on par with the 360 and PS3 which are still by standards last gen tech. So really, it comes down to community if you like screwing with people in those games.

As for Dark Souls 2 the Wii Version would look better the community would be extremely small compared to other places.

P.S.

You have to admit that 1M+ Plus sales for COD on a 100 million selling platform is pathetic though. ;p

I never reply to these but had to say something here, I grew up in the 80's huge nintendo fan. I loved the kings field series, which is what lead to Demon soul's and now Dark souls. There is talk of another king's field in the future. That said i am a multi console owner most of the time. I do not understand why the battle lines get drawn between systems that are so different. xbox and playstation are very similar and easy to compare, Nintendo on the other hand is usally not, they try to offer more than just the norm. To really get a feel for gaming you have to step out and try all kinds of games. Owning an xbox or playstation, your choice along with owning a nintendo console is the best way to get a feel of what "gaming" should be. I do not yet have the ps4 or xbox one, i will not support xbox simply becouse of the way they tried to control aspects of the industry then changed simply do to fear of driving people to sony. If dark souls was available for the wii-u, i would own it. How do guys like this say that "nintendo" people would not play there games? As if there are no "hardcore" games on nintendo. If a company wants to support a certain console, thats fine I am not going to beg for a port, I will get the console it is on if it means that much to me. But for them to say that thier audience is not among the Nintendo crowd is ingnorant. Bayonetta 2 is coming to the Wii-U, sony and microsoft fanboys have been begging for a port. There was a recent tweet about it, I will buy bayonetta 2 to support the company making it becouse they are one of the few guys who are not just band wagon jumpers and they support nintendo. If you tell those fanboys to buy a wii-u to play bayonetta 2, many of them say " nintendo sucks". Oh yeah, then why are they getting the game you are begging for? ha. I hope bayonetta plays great and has great sales, its one thing to jump on to something that is an instant success, which is what most companies want. Its very admirable to continue to support something from the beginning to help make it a success. My hat goes off to Platinum Games for being that kind of company.

p.s. yeah i know i am kinda all over the place, but i am very tired and just needed to rant. Thanks

hmmm, tough one

TOPIC

While i don't agree with everything the OP said, i do think DS 2 could have good sales on WiiU. But it is risky, all depends of the cost.

I finished Dark Souls on all modes (normal, new game + and ++) on my ps3, and i do think that games like WW:HD / LBW with hero mode, my current LBW challenge run (trying all dungeons on hero mode with 3 hearts, what means IK from anything) or even W101 hardest mode (101%) for platinium trophys (no continues) are on the same level of difficulty.

AS A CONSUMER

If they made good use of the Wii U gamepad, like map, inventory management and maybe displaying HUD there instead of on TV (loving this, great immersion); i would buy DS 2 WiiU over any other version. Otherwise, i would get a PC/PS4 version, but i am not buying a PS4 any time soon.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
JazzB1987 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JazzB1987 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JazzB1987 said:

I am more inclined to believe you would buy the next gen HD twins versions of any multiplat game over the WIi U still because you wrote this: 

"I buy every multiplatform game on PC  why would I limit myself to inferior stuff?   (sure owning Dark Souls on PC is everything but better than the console version but thats like the first game ever xD."

The HD twins versions would be much closer to the PC version than the Wii U version. You said it yourself "why would I limit myself to inferior stuff?"

Luckily enough for your logic the PS3 and 360 versions of multiplats would be inferior but theres still a problem. For some reason they perform on par with the 360 and PS3 which are still by standards last gen tech. So really, it comes down to community if you like screwing with people in those games.

As for Dark Souls 2 the Wii Version would look better the community would be extremely small compared to other places.

P.S.

You have to admit that 1M+ Plus sales for COD on a 100 million selling platform is pathetic though. ;p

to add even more its not like they would get more sales if they made it for WIi U, they wouldnt. As this guy said himself he has a PC, so either way he would get the game WIi U version or not.