By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - To ALL those who say GT6 flopped....

Global Weekly Chart

Week Ending 07th Dec 2013

Pos Game Weekly Total Week #
Gran Turismo 6 (PS3)
Sony Computer Entertainment, Racing
803,714 803,714 1

Since when is a game debuting at #1 with sales of 800k a flop??? I think people are scewing what the definition of a "flop" actually is. This is for two reasons for this. 

• People are trolling
  • People are stupid

It seems to be pretty much a 50/50 split with all the threads that I've seen so far. Although I can respect a good troll every now and then, let me explain to the other 50 that are just stupid what a flop really is. 

This is Puppeteer.  A fairly hyped Ps3 exclusive that was very well critically reveived. It's up to 100k after a couple months of sales. Widely considered a flop.

This is The Wonderful 101.  Another hyped exclusive, this time for the Wii U. Also up to 100k after a couple months. Widely considered a flop. 

This is the entire PsVita software lineup. Another hyped item, this time an actual console. As you can see, besides the top 2 titles, nothing has sold over a million. Widely considered a flop.

Those my friends, are definitions of flop. Just for an added touch, here is the official definition. 

flop - a complete failure; "the play was a dismal flop"

bustfizzle
failure - an event that does not accomplish its intended purpose; "the surprise party was a complete failure"
bombdudturkey - an event that fails badly or is totally ineffectual; "the first experiment was a real turkey"; "the meeting was a dud as far as new business was concerned"

In conclusion, Gran Turismo 6 is NOT a flop. It is in fact, a mere disappointment. The game sold much lower than it's predecessor, GT5. The reasons for this being:

• the launch of a new console (Ps4)
  • not being hyped commericially as much as the first "next gen" Gt as GT5 was
  • and the fact that GT6 just isn't that much better than GT5, according to critic reviews

So next time you say a game is a flop, make sure it doesn't debut at #1 in the chartz with 800k AFTER it's next gen console it's released. I'd say that's pretty impressive. 

**DISCLAIMER** I hate sim racers

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network

800k is impressive but unfortunately it's quite a bit of a drop from the 2.4 million that GT5 achieved on it's first week. I recognize GT2 and GT4 didn't sell as much as GT1 and GT3 respectively but I don't think the difference was this dramatic. But anyone calling 800k a flop is clearly trolling.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

I think you should add, people desperately trying to prove an agenda no matter how desperate it may be. Quite sad actually.

well all of the 3 games you listed as an example were only hyped on forums liek this, ask an average customer in the store and he doesn't even know what they are. He probably knows what the vita is, but his knowledge of it will be small.

But thanks, GT6 is not a flop. All second GT games in a gen sell less than its predecessors.

Note: GT5 also had 2 more days of sales in its FW than GT6. NA and EU launched at 6th and this is week ending of 7th.

Isn't it the same as calling 3D world a flop? Yes it's not a flop by industry standards but by GT and Mario's standards they're considered flops

Around the Network

Very well said.
And lets not forget that GT6 is also on sale on PSN and we cant see that numbers.

theshonen8899 said:
800k is impressive but unfortunately it's quite a bit of a drop from the 2.4 million that GT5 achieved on it's first week. I recognize GT2 and GT4 didn't sell as much as GT1 and GT3 respectively but I don't think the difference was this dramatic. But anyone calling 800k a flop is clearly trolling.

1 day of sale's vs 3 to 4 depending on the counrty. In one day in japan its  already Sold 1/4 of what gt5 sold in japan life time. 

I would like to politely add that never once have I ever considered "I hate sim racers" to be proper evidence for lacking an agenda. If anything, the fact that you are so desperately trying to defend Gran Turismo despite hating the genre seems like more proof that you actually have an agenda.

**DISCLAIMER** I hate analytical thinking

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

theshonen8899 said:

I would like to politely add that never once have I ever considered "I hate sim racers" to be proper evidence for lacking an agenda. If anything, the fact that you are so desperately trying to defend Gran Turismo despite hating the genre seems like more proof that you actually have an agenda.

**DISCLAIMER** I hate analytical thinking

I remember when a million seller actually meant something in the gaming industry and was a goal that developers and publishers strive to meet, sadly in today's industry not so much. Are games really becoming so expensive to make that a million copies sold is considered bad/flop or is it the people who's expectations are just too high, I guess it widely depends on the developer and game.

I just can't get used to the idea of a game that sold 800k in a single week being a flop, won't this game go on to sell 2 to 3 million+ in it's lifetime?