By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New bar for all 3rd party??? THQ Wii's Exclusive Game: Deadly Creatures

I find it strange that quite a lot of Wii owners are jumping on almost every game that gets announced for their favored platform and they always seem to defend it with their lives (figure of speech). Graphics are also a factor that gets brought up quite a lot of times.

I don't get it. Are those people so insecure about their console of choice? Since when were graphics a factor for Wii owners in the age of HD-consoles and media?

It's a nice thing to see the line-up grow but as of right now, I really can't see anything about this game that makes it worth paying attention to. There are far too many other games that deserve it more.

One positive thing I can extract from this announcement is that THQ is at least claiming to be dedicated to increase the quality of their future titles.

Around the Network

if those are in game graphics then finally a 3rd party is taking advantage of the wii's graphical capabilities. i feel like this will be a tough get to have good controls and gameplay on. but i hope it works out cuz if they do this game well it could be awesome.

@ tendou:
why do you think its weird that wii owners want good graphics in their games instead of the ps2-level graphical crap that most 3rd parties have been putting out? its not like suddenly for the first time ever gamers don't care about graphics. wii owners just realize that graphics aren't everything. but its not like they are less important than they were in any other generation. games on the wii should still push its limits graphically just like games on any other system should.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

Onyxmeth said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
You're really taking this game's existence as a personal offense. And all we have are screens and a teaser trailer. I'm not sure there's that much there to get this worked up about.

Thank you. My point exactly. You're all getting so hyped and worked up over a teaser trailer and a press release involving a tarantula and a scorpion vs. gila monsters and insects. It wasn't me who claimed this was of 360 and PS3 quality, or that it looked like it was using the Unreal 3 Engine, or that it was setting a new bar for Wii third party games, it was the topic maker. I'll give you guys another way to look at it. If this we're coinciding with some Pixar movie, you wouldn't have given it a second look. That's all this game really looks like is some Disney manufactured animal vs. animal vs. man movie which is what THQ builds it's mediocre lineup around. I'm calling it like I see it. PS3 is getting Metal Gear Solid 4, 360 is getting Ninja Gaiden 2, and Wii is getting Deadly Creatures. Wow!

So what if people do think this is PS360 quality? Why is this hurting you? The fact of the matter is that there's nothignsubstantial to judge off of anyway, you take good looking pictures and say it turns out great but that's no less valid than taking a list of licensed games the teamhas done and trying to "prove" the status or quality of the game that way either. Simply put it's their perogative, if the game turns out bad then people will forget about it (unless it reaches Lair's epicness) but if it turns out good, all the kicking and the bashing from the first 5 or 6 screens is going to look really bad and really pointless in the face of one of the few original efforts to come out on the Wii from a 3rd party.

I find it strange that quite a lot of Wii owners are jumping on almost every game that gets announced for their favored platform and they always seem to defend it with their lives (figure of speech). Graphics are also a factor that gets brought up quite a lot of times.

I don't get it. Are those people so insecure about their console of choice? Since when were graphics a factor for Wii owners in the age of HD-consoles and media?

Your logic is flawed. There is no doubt that this game's graphical achievements so far are beyond most, if not all of the 3rd party efforts from 2007. I find it strange that people are pretending like a Wii game actually looking good for a change is somehow this huge sin because the platform itself is not about the graphics. Are people so insecure about their HD console purchase that the second a Wii game gets praised in the graphics department, everyone must be upon it with a blunt object? No, this isn't threatening the best of the PS360 but I don't see why it's a crime to comment on or even be impressed by a good looking game like this when basically all we have to judge it on are looks from the 5 or 6 screens and trailer.  

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Honestly, it looks like they put a lot of work into the model details, but not as much with animation and the backgrounds...if they can make those better, I think this could be a very entertaining game...especially since I'm scared to death of tarantulas and scorpions hehe.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I think this is taking the route of Godzila Unleashed.

WiiPC

Around the Network

Onyxmeth is going a little nuts, but still, this is not a killer app. Not sure why someone would right away hype this as "a new bar for third parties." For graphics? If these deliver. But we have to find out if the combat system, environments, overall structure, etc, of the game hold up. It could be that the strange premise is a cover for 1999 game design.

It would be cool to play an insect and take down a human if the fundamentals of the game are solid and fun. But until we know if they are, there's nothing to get excited about here yet.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Meh, could be interesting, but I don't have a tremendous amount of faith in this one. It's going to have to work hard to get my dollar.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

I'm going to ignore the rest of this thread and comment as if I'm the first post.

I've seen the video (which is rendered) and the in game screenshots. The screenshots are impressive for the model work. The game itself intrigues me. We still know very little about how it plays (the info suggests it's adventureish? Maybe a beatemup? But to me at least, the game just seems to have an old school feel to it. Something about a game that advertises itself so seriously when there isn't an armed human in sight is definitely a throw back to an older time. The thought of playing such a game as insects and lizards could be a lot of fun.

Colour me interested, though I of course await more news before drawing a conclusion on this one.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

As a proud owner of tarantulas, I am going to have to at least rent this game regardless of review score.

Onyxmeth said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
You're really taking this game's existence as a personal offense. And all we have are screens and a teaser trailer. I'm not sure there's that much there to get this worked up about.

Thank you. My point exactly. You're all getting so hyped and worked up over a teaser trailer and a press release involving a tarantula and a scorpion vs. gila monsters and insects. It wasn't me who claimed this was of 360 and PS3 quality, or that it looked like it was using the Unreal 3 Engine, or that it was setting a new bar for Wii third party games, it was the topic maker. I'll give you guys another way to look at it. If this we're coinciding with some Pixar movie, you wouldn't have given it a second look. That's all this game really looks like is some Disney manufactured animal vs. animal vs. man movie which is what THQ builds it's mediocre lineup around. I'm calling it like I see it. PS3 is getting Metal Gear Solid 4, 360 is getting Ninja Gaiden 2, and Wii is getting Deadly Creatures. Wow!

Dude, you're getting more excited about this than anybody else here.

We get it. You're not interested. That's okay. You're the most aggressively non-interested person I've seen in a long time. Maybe you should channel that energy into something constructive.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.