By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Xbox lose every advantage it had?

Microsoft needed all those advantages last gen because they were going up against the successor to the most successful console of all time, the PS2, which had outsold the Xbox by almost 6 to 1 and held 75% market share. Sony seemed almost unbeatable at that point in time, and it was a combination of all their terrible mistakes with the PS3, and all Microsoft's smart moves that allowed them to tie their biggest competitor in sales and steal all that market share.

They don't need any advantages this time, because the Xbox brand is now just as strong as PlayStation, both coming off an 80 million selling console. They both have a huge fanbase and they are on pretty even ground. It's actually a fair fight this time, except for the PS4's $100 advantage, but prices change.

Around the Network
Pirateogta said:
Microsoft needed all those advantages last gen because they were going up against the successor to the most successful console of all time, the PS2, which had outsold the Xbox by almost 6 to 1 and held 75% market share. Sony seemed almost unbeatable at that point in time, and it was a combination of all their terrible mistakes with the PS3, and all Microsoft's smart moves that allowed them to tie their biggest competitor in sales and steal all that market share.

They don't need any advantages this time, because the Xbox brand is now just as strong as PlayStation, both coming off an 80 million selling console. They both have a huge fanbase and they are on pretty even ground. It's actually a fair fight this time, except for the PS4's $100 advantage, but prices change.

You also have to think...

If they tied last gen (PS3 actually beat them), despite the 1 year head start 360 had in NA and 1.5 head start in Europe.... while ALWAYS being cheaper than PS3.

What's going to happen now that they launched at the same time?

Mandalore76 said:
Metallicube 5 hours ago

- Rare (I know they've been shitty lately, but I'm holding onto hope they can return to the quality of 90s Rare)

@Metallicube - Why? Are they partnering up with Nintendo again?

That would really help them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

TheBlackNaruto said:
tuscaniman99 said:
9087 said:
Jereel Hunter said:

X1 has more exclusives coming over the first year or two, just like last gen.

No it doesn't.

The Order:1886, DriveClub, InFamous:Second Son, Killzone Shadowfall, Uncharted 4, Deep Down, Knack, Planetside 2, Resogun..... and a lot more other exclusive indie titles and Free2play games

Planetside is not an exclusive game and most of those indies are timed exclusives. All of the F2P games are on PC.

I have to add though that the person did say in the next year or two so even if they are timed they will still be on the PS4 and not the XB1 in that time frame which means they can't just not be counted. And we can't throw PC in there because that would get rid of XB1 exclusives as well...such as Titanfall. So yeah in essence the PS4 DOES have more exclusive games coming out in the first year or 2.

No we can throw PC in there but you just dont want to. That gets rid of about 5 PS4 games but only 1 Xbox One game. Funny how all of a sudden the rules change now that its on Playstation and not Xbox. Last gen 360 games didn't count if they were on PC or timed.

tuscaniman99 said:
TheBlackNaruto said:
tuscaniman99 said:

Planetside is not an exclusive game and most of those indies are timed exclusives. All of the F2P games are on PC.

I have to add though that the person did say in the next year or two so even if they are timed they will still be on the PS4 and not the XB1 in that time frame which means they can't just not be counted. And we can't throw PC in there because that would get rid of XB1 exclusives as well...such as Titanfall. So yeah in essence the PS4 DOES have more exclusive games coming out in the first year or 2.

No we can throw PC in there but you just dont want to. That gets rid of about 5 PS4 games but only 1 Xbox One game. Funny how all of a sudden the rules change now that its on Playstation and not Xbox. Last gen 360 games didn't count if they were on PC or timed.

The rules have never changed because I have NEVER thought like that nor have I EVER said that so no the rules did not and have not changed. Exclusive for me when talking about the PS3/360 was being on one platform and not the other THAT made it exclusive. Timed exclusive have been always JUST THAT timed and for the TIME that it is not on the other system it is EXCLUSIVE to the system that it is on just like LAST gen. I don't care what some random other fans said to you or thought becuase I have NEVER said what they said nor felt that way.  But if you must or feel the need go ahead and throw the PC in there as well. As it stands MS has more of a track record of having games both on their system and the PC and also more of a track record for having "timed' exclusives. So hey if that's how you want to do it then that is fine as well. I was actually trying to help your arugment by saying not to throw it in not hurt it but whatever floats your boat

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
d2wi said:
Yes, but Xbox One still has other advantages, Kinect is better than PS Eye, more multimedia features, better launch titles.

Launch titles will never last and its just for three months then PS4 will take the crown with its exclusives and it also has multimedia features. The only thing xbox one has is the power of kinect with controller free which is great only if games makes use of it.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

I've seen this thread popup on the hot topics many many times. Each time I see it come up, I think to myself, "what advantages did Xbox ever have?".

Now, this isn't a troll question, even if it seems like it. Seriously though, wtf advantage has an Xbox every had?

Xbox
It was the most powerful of its gen, yet it had a horrible controller and a lack of a library to truly differentiate that power from the others. Thus the potential advantage simply didn't become reality as PS2 had the primary library and of course the massive one-sided marketshare.

X360
It had no technology, controller or library advantage to anyone. PS3 was on-par with everything plus they offset each other in terms of online features. PS3 had free or paid with tons of free content while X360 had cross chat and a few other small items. Both shared 90+% of the same library and the few great exclusives on one sided were easily matched by others on the other side.

Xbone
Seriously. Nothing here. PS4 is more powerful and cheaper. Both offer generally the same experience again.

So I come back to my original question, likely already asked tho, what advantages?

@superchunk.... Read the OP