By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Xbox lose every advantage it had?

Maybe. Bad for them too as most consumers are not as "loyal" as many think.

Around the Network

Maybe not every advantage but certainly the most significant ones, to be fair they didn't really gain any huge disadvantages though, other than price.

I'm getting a strange sense of deja vu, like I had a similar discussion a couple years back, and some of the posts in this thread make it even more interesting.

Eddie_Raja said:

It's ok keep your head in the clouds (You were good for a laugh with a few people around me):

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/analyst-microsoft-2-billion-android-royalties-hide-xbox-losses/

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-11-07-huge-xbox-losses-hidden-by-patent-royalties-says-analyst

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/8/5080192/microsoft-ceo-candidate-stephen-elop-bing-xbox-rumors

Gee golly, another swing and a miss. Also, you have people around you reading this thread with you? That's bizarre.

Link 1 even confirms exactly what I just told you. There is no "Xbox division". Hell, earlier in this thread you listed Windows Phones as one of MS's failures. Your own link tells you Windows Phones is in the same division as Xbox and the analyst speculates MS would be losing money in that division without royalties. Do you really need someone to connect the dots for you?

That's not even mentioning the fact that all 3 links you posted are nothing but guesswork and speculation (2 from the same analyst). Allow me to help you out some more. We know Xbox is in a division with products that lose money. We know there are rumors that MS will sell the Xbox brand. We know MS makes truckloads of cash from Android royalties. Of course what we don't know, is what that has to do the topic at hand. Sony lost billions this last gen. I guess they don't know shit about the game market?

DonFerrari said:
9087 said:

When you look at the advantages 360 had over PS3 for much of the generation:

Superior Multiplats

Lower Price

Better controller

Faster Installs

Party Chat

Now this generation with PS4 and Xbox One.... 

PS4 has superior multiplats, equal if not better controller, way faster installs than Xbox One, and a better Party Chat as well. 

Oh, and this time around it's actually cheaper than Xbox, which was never the case with PS3 and 360.

You forgot the year head start.

Xbox controller is no push over, This is clearly opinion. I can't stand Sony controllers.

DJEVOLVE said:
DonFerrari said:
9087 said:

When you look at the advantages 360 had over PS3 for much of the generation:

Superior Multiplats

Lower Price

Better controller

Faster Installs

Party Chat

PS4 has superior multiplats, equal if not better controller, way faster installs than Xbox One, and a better Party Chat as well. 

Oh, and this time around it's actually cheaper than Xbox, which was never the case with PS3 and 360.

Xbox controller is no push over, This is clearly opinion. I can't stand Sony controllers.

The DS4 fixed all the issues with the PS3 controller. Much better for shooters and racers. Essentially the perfect controller if you're into Playstation gaming with the analogs being where they are placed (which I've been using for over a decade now so I am kind of used to it). The Xbox One controller fixed the directional pad for fighters, but the Trigger and bumpers are too close together. Because of that personally I believe the DS4 wins, but the Xbox One controller feels great regardless. I love that curving boomerang feel. You can't go wrong with the controllers this gen on any console. I say the Wii U has the worst controller in terms to ergonomics this gen. The pro that is. Feels weird after you hold the DS4 and the Xbone controller.

Around the Network
XboneWins said:
As far as I am concerned, PS4 has no advantages over One.

Controller is better on Xbox
Live > PSN
Xbox UI > PS4 UI
Xbox exclusives > PS4 exclusives

Before someone comes here whining about price or a bit better graphics, I do have a gaming pc which costs more than PS4&One combined. It has best graphics on multiplat titles and that 100$ is not an issue.

No one is going to take you seriously with that stupid name

S.T.A.G.E. said:
J_Allard said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
J_Allard said:
think-man said:

Yeah but you said "still has dat Titanfall" and I'm saying don't need a xbone for it so its not really an advantage to me. Making it relevant to your post, and thus relevant to this thread.

Still an advantage for Xbox One over the PS4, which is what this thread is about.

I mean, if you're harping on PC, where is your response to the OP where most of what he gave to PS4 could actually go to PC?

Its only an advantage for the first two years. Titanfall is coming to the PS4 after the first one amasses its profit. Microsoft just wants Titanfalls name to be associated to it so they are just spending massive amounts of marketing dollars to make people believe thats the case right now.

Sounds like a long winded way of saying advantage: Xbone.

It is an advantage, but Sony has plenty of other exclusives happening.

Yes, I agree. But exclusive doesn't mean good or excellent. Yes, there were great exclusives in the past and I am not doubting the hype for ND will get lower with PS4 but really, just being an exclusive doesn't tell you anything about quality.

walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
J_Allard said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
J_Allard said:
think-man said:

Yeah but you said "still has dat Titanfall" and I'm saying don't need a xbone for it so its not really an advantage to me. Making it relevant to your post, and thus relevant to this thread.

Still an advantage for Xbox One over the PS4, which is what this thread is about.

I mean, if you're harping on PC, where is your response to the OP where most of what he gave to PS4 could actually go to PC?

Its only an advantage for the first two years. Titanfall is coming to the PS4 after the first one amasses its profit. Microsoft just wants Titanfalls name to be associated to it so they are just spending massive amounts of marketing dollars to make people believe thats the case right now.

Sounds like a long winded way of saying advantage: Xbone.

It is an advantage, but Sony has plenty of other exclusives happening.

Yes, I agree. But exclusive doesn't mean good or excellent. Yes, there were great exclusives in the past and I am not doubting the hype for ND will get lower with PS4 but really, just being an exclusive doesn't tell you anything about quality.

True, but when people judge first party quality from both guess who 9/10 wins out? Not subjectively speaking. Sony has a much high list of high rated exclusives and yes the exclusive list is higher which causes a more varied fail/success rate. Microsofts most successful games are either Forza, Halo, Fable and then someone elses games. Being that Sony has the advantage in sales now the sales will be higher this gen than last gen for sure on exclusives. Microsofts exclusives will sell well as well but Sonys will experience a boost. Hell Killzone even sold very well compared to the other launch titles. Killzone and Rising were both the top two AAA launch titles. Killer Instinct wasnt AAA but its a big game for me so i'll try to keep my bias out of it.

DJEVOLVE said:
DonFerrari said:
9087 said:

When you look os de the advantages 360 had ovê r PS3 for much of the generation:

Superior Multiplats

Lower Price

Better controller

Faster Installs

Party Chat

You can't stand Sony period. But the controler advantage depend on the user so can't be listed (I like DS3). but x360 controler being better than DS3 for a great number of people i agree.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Eddie_Raja said:
J_Allard said:
Eddie_Raja said:

LOL I never said I was a market visionary, but I do know that MS is NOT.  I use Windows 8.1 and love it, but it was not what the basic consumer wants (Engineers love it!).  They are wasting their time in other markets which significantly weakening the one thing they do right.  Now Balmer is stepping down so I'm sure things will improve from here...

They're going to sell well over 80,000,000 360 consoles, have an extremely lucrative business model with Live (one that Sony is now emulating), and have a great selling successor on the market now. I think they know more about the gaming market than the guy I was responding to. I am afraid I cannot make it any simpler for you.

LOL and your argument just fell apart like a house of cards.  The Xbox division has been losing 2 Billion dollars a year (covered up by patent money).  In fact investors have been telling them to drop Xbox practically since it launched. No, they have no clue what they are doing.  Just go watch their Xbox One reveal to see their most recent blunder...

And Sony burned all the money they made with PS1 and 2 combined with the PS3, you do realize that Sony make significant loss across the last +10 years and that they was quite close to bankruptcy? You do realize that Sonys major Investors Daniel Loeb wanted the same thing multipletimes from Sony like some want from Microsoft now? You do realize that opposed to Sony Microsoft makes every  year a huge profit and the Xbox 360 opposed to the ps3 made too a huge profit the last years?