By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Xbox lose every advantage it had?

TheBlackNaruto said:

Just wanted to point out that the "losses" were not all because of the PS3 though. PS3 has been "profitting" for a while now they just have not recovered the lossess that they sustained AS A COMPANY. But I do get your point though!

While I agree they didn't have recovered the looses I think they are half-way to do that because it is depends if and how much the Game Division profited in FY2009, FY2010 and FY2013 (not ended yet)...

FY2006 - FY2018 = ~3.5b loss
FY2009 - FY2010 = unknown profit
FY2011 - FY2012 = ~0.4b profit
FY2013 = Not posted yet

I think hard FY2009 profited the FY2010 profited 0.43b even covering the losses of the NPS division... so I'm sure they did over 1b profit in FY2010... FY2009 they looses  0.89b covering the NPS looses too... so I guess the Game Division posted loss too but little loss like 0.1-0.3b.

So if we assume Game Division posted 0.3b loss in FY2009 and 1b profit in FY2010.

FY2006 - FY2018 = ~3.5b loss
FY2009 - FY2010 = 0.7b profit
FY2011 - FY2012 = ~0.4b profit
FY2013 = Not posted yet

Well that's give us ~2.4b loss without the FY2013 results.

Around the Network

It lost some, but gained the advantage of having more loyal followers then before. that probably wipes out the negatives. That and the advertising for it is still through the roof in the USA. They spend the money to target Americans in all the right places. Cannot say how they perform advertising wise in other countries.

9087 said:

When you look at the advantages 360 had over PS3 for much of the generation:

Superior Multiplats

Lower Price

Better controller

Faster InstallsParty Chat

Now this generation with PS4 and Xbox One.... 

PS4 has superior multiplats, equal if not better controller, way faster installs than Xbox One, and a better Party Chat as well. 

Oh, and this time around it's actually cheaper than Xbox, which was never the case with PS3 and 360.

X1 still has it's advantages - Kinect, though many dont' like it, is a huge benefit to those who fully use it.

It currently has a lot more features enabled than the PS4 - though those should come soon.

X1 has more exclusives coming over the first year or two, just like last gen.

NFL integration - for huge NFL fans like me, being able to stream out of market games, and have custom stat trackers going... that's awesome.

But I think it will be a lot like this gen where the systems will have little to differentiate them, outside of exclusives, after the first 2 years

Raistline said:
ethomaz said:

BTW some guys confuses the NPS divisavailable.th Game Division... in FY 2009, FY2010 and FY2011 Sony posted the results for the NPS division but when they removed the Game Division from the NPS again in FY2012 they showed the FY2011 data for comparison.

So you can see that the NPS have a loss of 20.2 billion yen in FY2011...

But the Game Division profited 29.3 billion yen...

PS3 is profiting since 2009 but the other parts of the NPS division was so bad that make the Division post loss.

My table shows a * in the FY2010 and FY2009 because it used the NPS data... the issue is that the Game Division alone did profited a lot these years but the NPS got loss in FY2009 and low profit in FY2010.

The reallity is that if you get only Game Division in these years the number cam be even better for Sony and maybe cover the first year loses.

Thanks for the additional insight. I was taking my number entirely from news reports, which are not nearly as reliable as Sony's own reports. I had no idea it was that easily accessible. 

Companies with stocks must have annual financial reports publicly available.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

9087 said:

Superior Multiplats

Lower Price

Better controller

Faster Installs

Party Chat

PS4 has superior multiplats, equal if not better controller, way faster installs than Xbox One, and a better Party Chat as well. 

Oh, and this time around it's actually cheaper than Xbox, which was never the case with PS3 and 360.

Also don't forget its the more powerful of the two!

Around the Network
chocolsaw  said:

Cannot say how they perform advertising wise in other countries.

Never saw a ps4 ad, seldom ps3 ads... Xbone and fm5
 all the time, even on sony cable tv.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Jereel Hunter said:
9087 said:

Superior Multiplats

Lower Price

Better controller

X1 still has it's advantages - Kinect, though many dont' like it, is a huge benefit to those who fully use it.

It currently has a lot more features enabled than the PS4 - though those should come soon.

NFL integration - for huge NFL fans like me, being able to stream out of market games, and have custom stat trackers going... that's awesome.

But I think it will be a lot like this gen where the systems will have little to differentiate them, outside of exclusives, after the first 2 years

Which exclusives are those????? I don't see MS having more exclusives in the first two years than Sony. Also games like Titanfall and Project Spark don't need an X1 to play them so how wxclusive are they???? Can the same be said of say Infamous or Drive Club????

DonFerrari said:

Never saw a ps4 ad, seldom ps3 ads... Xbone and fm5
 all the time, even on sony cable tv.

The Vila Olimpia station have the corridor with a big Xbone + Ryse ad in both sides.

That's the only I saw live here.

d2wi said:
Yes, but Xbox One still has other advantages, Kinect is better than PS Eye, more multimedia features, better launch titles.

No, PS4 had the better launch titles, with 1080P COD and 1080P AC4, and the higher resolution Battlefield 4. Not to mention Killzone: Shadowfall....

Ashadian said:
Jereel Hunter said:
9087 said:

Superior Multiplats

Lower Price

Better controller

Which exclusives are those????? I don't see MS having more exclusives in the first two years than Sony. Also games like Titanfall and Project Spark don't need an X1 to play them so how wxclusive are they???? Can the same be said of say Infamous or Drive Club????

Well ignoring the being on PC part. I do have to say it is to early to make the exclusive claim. Sony has a better track record but I like that MS has a game focus now as well. While I still prefer the Sony exclusives I don't count MS out.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23