By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Cinemablend: Wii U Is Winning Next-Gen Gaming, Not Xbox One Or PS4

fatslob-:O said:
archbrix said:

For a mario title that's pretty pathetic in comparison to other 3D marios. Galaxy 2 was able to pull off a million copies easily at it's first week aligned and that was the seccond lowest selling 3D mario so SM3DW was truly a low quality title. BTW it's first week aligned sales were around 400K so yea it's low quality. 

Or before you keep making more crappy points for me to rip apart. Your done here. Just admit that SALES = QUALITY and leave it at that because you clearly ran out of garbage to throw at. 

So, you're determining that 3D World is low quality by comparing its debut sales on a console with around a 4m install base to Galaxy 2's debut sales on a console with a then 70m install base?  And you accuse his points of being crappy?  That's rich.

Install base excuse, eh ? The point of a game is supposed to make you buy the god damned console not the other way around. 

Oh, I'll admit that 3D World isn't moving consoles in abundance but that doesn't change the fact that your comparison is complete folly.

However, I believe (or hope anyway) that you're not really trying to be taken seriously with most of the things you say, so, carry on.

Around the Network

Its very hard to predict the future, but it looks almost inevitable that PS4 will lead sales of the 3 current gen consoles by this time next year. However, currently Nintendo have the leading current gen home console and are destroying the Vita in the handheld market. This comes on the back of incredible sales for the DS in the last generation and the Wii selling over 100 million units. The company is frankly on fire. Remember traditionally Nintendo have a 5-6 year lifespan for their consoles whereas Sony/Microsoft tend to look for longer. This, combined with the fact that Wii U was a year old prior to XBone/PS4 could mean that the next Nintendo console might be out 2-3 years before the competition is ready to upgrade. If this occurs they might find themselves well placed with the most powerful hardware and 30-40 million Wii U sales under their belt. Talk on these threads of Nintendo doom is frankly laughable.

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

You didn't refute anything. You just babbled and diverge from the actual topic and start going on about something else when you cannot refute my statements. It seems to be a trend in your posts. I provided you data with the impulse shopping, and showed you that besides the Wii, low rated games match sales. You were not able to provided one single refernce whatsoever to any of your claims. $4 Billion (approx 6 Billion today) 15 years ago was significant and yes I assume it probably has increased dramtically Some sources claim 50% https://uwspace.uwaterloo.ca/handle/10012/912, others estimate $38 Billion yearly http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/impulse/201312/splurchase and this is not on a global aspect.Unlike you I can see here all day and provide you with references. You obviously read the article incorrectly as no where did it say "impulse buying accounts for very little" Lying does not make your argument credible! Also you state you have data to back up your claims? Well where the hell is it?

Your the one babbling here. 40 bilion dollars upon the whole population of roughly 300 million is actually small. That's like $120 and you don't even know if it's attributed to game purchases either so your total point is null and void for the most part and while looking idiotic at the same time. DO THE MATH. Using worthless points do not make your arguments strong. As for me backing up my data you can clearly go look at the game sales. GTA V and the TLOU have the same reviewer quality but guess what ? Game sales paint a different picture as to who sees quality in the game. The market in general sees the experienced gamer and the masses the same thing so you really can't count them out because all votes are essentially the same. Why did TLOU not get equally close sales to GTA V ? It's really clear that the masses just think that GTA V is the vastly superior game. It's obvious that your idea of the masses impulse buying is really stupid. 

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Again please thoroughly read my responses. I did challenge your response and called out where I believe you were innacurate. Instead of properly answering any of my questions you attempt to drown it out with questions of your own. Your reasoning about the market makes absolutely no sense and I am beggining to think your account is either purely for trolling or else you truly have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about. You want data for my argument regarding reviews and there relation to sales, well go look through metacritic or IGN and then go into the VGC database and look through sales. Majority of the time with the odd instance) reviews reflect sales.  Never did I state a purchase is greater than the other ( a sale is a sale) , you decided to add that on your own and make those claims however as I advised earlier the opinion to review a game and recommend is greater than that of a casual/soccer mom and I'm not going to regurgitate the reasoning as you can go back through my previous arguments.  Your incredibly naive if you believe "the market" decided that Carnival Games was of better quality than New Carnival games. The fact of the matter is which the majority will agree or as you call "the masses" that Wii began to fall from grace after 2010. As I stated the hype was gone and the impulse shovel ware buys died like the Dinosaurs. Due to the fact that the "masses" would agree with me, if we once again go by your logic, that means your wrong! Plain and simple. You have also yet to provide a game on any different console with a universal low rating that managed to sell in the same fashion as carnival games. Just so you know.....BOLDING WITH CAPS MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT! YOUR ARGUMENT HAS BEEN RENDERED MOOT!!!!

Need I remind you that half life or SM3DW comes nowhere NEAR close to GTA V in sales despite the fact that they pretty much have the same quality for the most part. Reviews do not reflect sales and that is reflected by the fact that they don't scale well in comparison to the market. So there goes your other crappy point that review scores = sales. 

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Honest to god I'm suprised you were not beaten as a child. Seriously, did I ever argue that games do not sell consoles? No. However, in the case of the Wii, the console itself CONTRIBUTED to the success of it's games due to it's unique style. There were quality games that propelled it to 100mill sales but like I've stated numerous times already, due to the unique style of the console, shovelware for the first time was able to sell at the level it did those first few years. 
500,000 sales since Mario's release on a console that had sold 800-900K or so since Janaury is significant therefore destroys your argument of SM3DW being a low quality title.

@Bold That's so stupid I'm not even gonna answer to this. 

For a mario title that's pretty pathetic in comparison to other 3D marios. Galaxy 2 was able to pull off a million copies easily at it's first week aligned and that was the seccond lowest selling 3D mario so SM3DW was truly a low quality title. BTW it's first week aligned sales were around 400K so yea it's low quality. 

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Yes you should be done, before you further embarass yourself.

Or before you keep making more crappy points for me to rip apart. Your done here. Just admit that SALES = QUALITY and leave it at that because you clearly ran out of garbage to throw at. 

You must be joking! You do realize that there are not 300 million consumers in the U.S right? If that was the case, the gross revenue reported for holiday sales would be almost 3x higher than it currently is. Please try and think before hastly replying as it makes you look utterly foolish. Interesting how you've picked an established game series to claim a similar comparision in a shoddy attempt to prove I am wrong.  You also have not provided any statistics regarding impulse buying or really anything intelligent for that matter. First of all, and I don't know times I have to say this until it gets through your thick skull but like I stated, reviews are a major contributing factor to sales and there are the exceptions. You've seem to have provided an excellent example without realizing. GTAV has a meta of 97 vs TLOU at 95. GTAV is the highest reviewed game this year and outsold ever other game released. See, I don't have to debate you because eventually you end up refuting yourself due to your own stupidity!

Your not getting the point. Were you dropped on your head numerous times in your youth??? Again, I'll repeat myself because you simply can't quite comprehend. FOR THE MOST PART REVIEWS "CONTRIBUTE" TO SALES!!! Your argument claiming it is not is absolutely absurd.  Also, please stop talking about the market because you obviouly (and it's very apparent)do not have a damn clue about about how the market actually operates. Your argument can be easily flipped and you fail to include the userbase on each console. High rated game like GTAV on consoles with 80Mill userbases will have signifcantly more sales than a game that came out 2 weeks ago with a userbase of now 4.5 mill.

I have refuted as well as pointed out the lack of "quality" in your absurd posts and misunderstanding of game sales. Every time you are proven false and I bring up a new point, you continue to regurgitate the same "as you Brits would call it" poppycock that has already been renedered moot. But, by all means keep going. I enjoy refuting your impared logic! 

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

You must be joking! You do realize that there are not 300 million consumers in the U.S right? If that was the case, the gross revenue reported for holiday sales would be almost 3x higher than it currently is. Please try and think before hastly replying as it makes you look utterly foolish. Interesting how you've picked an established game series to claim a similar comparision in a shoddy attempt to prove I am wrong.  You also have not provided any statistics regarding impulse buying or really anything intelligent for that matter. First of all, and I don't know times I have to say this until it gets through your thick skull but like I stated, reviews are a major contributing factor to sales and there are the exceptions. You've seem to have provided an excellent example without realizing. GTAV has a meta of 97 vs TLOU at 95. GTAV is the highest reviewed game this year and outsold ever other game released. See, I don't have to debate you because eventually you end up refuting yourself due to your own stupidity!

Define "consumer" because if we look up at the dictionary it means "a person who aquires goods and services for his or her own personal needs" and by using that definition it clearly means that everyone is a consumer because they need basic resources such as food and shelter so they are essentially "consuming" in this sense. Your the one who looks foolish now. It's better than bringing up dumb fallacies such as the "impulse buy" excuse. Yet your clearly grasping at straws here because I asked why sales were not "comparable". Can you explain to me why there is over a "20 million" game sales difference between these titles despite having almost the scores? I thought so and you probably can't explain why the rest of the shit is different ... Start by properly reading somone's post or you'll only keep giving dumb replies. 

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Your not getting the point. Were you dropped on your head numerous times in your youth??? Again, I'll repeat myself because you simply can't quite comprehend. FOR THE MOST PART REVIEWS "CONTRIBUTE" TO SALES!!! Your argument claiming it is not is absolutely absurd.  Also, please stop talking about the market because you obviouly (and it's very apparent)do not have a damn clue about about how the market actually operates. Your argument can be easily flipped and you fail to include the userbase on each console. High rated game like GTAV on consoles with 80Mill userbases will have signifcantly more sales than a game that came out 2 weeks ago with a userbase of now 4.5 mill.

Well gee if that's true then why are there soo many inconsistencies ? The highest rated game in 2008 which was GTA 4 got beaten by mario kart WII. Can you explain the same for 2009 when uncharted 2 got shitted on by COD WAW in terms of sales ? Or how about in 2010 when super mario galaxy 2 got it's ass handed to Red Dead Redemption ? You probably couldn't do the same in 2011 for why Batman got destroyed by the likes of battlefield 3. 

If I don't know how the market operates then you obviously don't know shit about the market. The masses clearly do not operate on game scores. Guess what ? These are all games different from each other so no excuses. 

Don't give more "it's on smaller install base" crap. The point of the game is that it's supposed to make you buy the god damned console.

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

I have refuted as well as pointed out the lack of "quality" in your absurd posts and misunderstanding of game sales. Every time you are proven false and I bring up a new point, you continue to regurgitate the same "as you Brits would call it" poppycock that has already been renedered moot. But, by all means keep going. I enjoy refuting your impared logic! 

The one with impaired logic is you cause you clearly can't explain all these distortions between the game sales and metacritic scores. Give up dude, it's obvious that review scores =/= sales. 

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Define "consumer" because if we look up at the dictionary it means "a person who aquires goods and services for his or her own personal needs" and by using that definition it clearly means that everyone is a consumer because they need basic resources such as food and shelter so they are essentially "consuming" in this sense. Your the one who looks foolish now. It's better than bringing up dumb fallacies such as the "impulse buy" excuse. Yet your clearly grasping at straws here because I asked why sales were not "comparable". Can you explain to me why there is over a "20 million" game sales difference between these titles despite having almost the scores? I thought so and you probably can't explain why the rest of the shit is different ... Start by properly reading somone's post or you'll only keep giving dumb replies. 

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Well gee if that's true then why are there soo many inconsistencies ? The highest rated game in 2008 which was GTA 4 got beaten by mario kart WII. Can you explain the same for 2009 when uncharted 2 got shitted on by COD WAW in terms of sales ? Or how about in 2010 when super mario galaxy 2 got it's ass handed to Red Dead Redemption ? You probably couldn't do the same in 2011 for why Batman got destroyed by the likes of battlefield 3. 

If I don't know how the market operates then you obviously don't know shit about the market. The masses clearly do not operate on game scores. Guess what ? These are all games different from each other so no excuses. 

Don't give more "it's on smaller install base" crap. The point of the game is that it's supposed to make you buy the god damned console.

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

The one with impaired logic is you cause you clearly can't explain all these distortions between the game sales and metacritic scores. Give up dude, it's obvious that review scores =/= sales. 

Yes, please, add more  filler to the conversation because we are well aware at this point that you have nothing intelligent to contribute. Unless things work differently in the the UK "Not every single person has the ability to make purchases" . To assume that is to make an ass out of your self, which you have clearly done agian. Oh and now due to your inability to intelligently debate you basically copy and paste my comments directed at you "properly reading and straw man".  So for the thousandth time, THOROUGHLY READ MY RESPONSE. I gave you a clear explanation as to the difference in sales between the two games. You need to go back to highschool if you cannot understand why 160 million consoles combined would have substantially larger sales for a game released several months ago than SMW3D which was released 3 weeks ago. Do you need further explanation?

"Shakes head" you clearly do no read responses and go off in a nonsensical rant without actually addressing the comment properly. All of those games were reviewed with high scores? Correct. Therefore as I said earlier high scores contribute to sales, which is correct. If you underestimate the average consumers ability to incorporate reviews into their buying decision of a game (Wii was the exception) then your even less intelligent that I thought. Marketing is a big factor as well as previously stated. 

I clearly did explain the differences. Your inability to process information when it's  provided to you is not my fault. Your pathetic attempts at continuing this conversation with nonesense and attempting to put words in my mouth by not looking at every fact I stated (reviews "contribute" , marketing significantly "contributes") once again proves you have absolutley no clue what you are talking about. You've been defeated but by all means keep the comments coming, it's rather amusing.

Around the Network
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Yes, please, add more  filler to the conversation because we are well aware at this point that you have nothing intelligent to contribute. Unless things work differently in the the UK "Not every single person has the ability to make purchases" . To assume that is to make an ass out of your self, which you have clearly done agian. Oh and now due to your inability to intelligently debate you basically copy and paste my comments directed at you "properly reading and straw man".  So for the thousandth time, THOROUGHLY READ MY RESPONSE. I gave you a clear explanation as to the difference in sales between the two games. You need to go back to highschool if you cannot understand why 160 million consoles combined would have substantially larger sales for a game released several months ago than SMW3D which was released 3 weeks ago. Do you need further explanation?

Again with the excuses. We all know that 3D mario has smaller legs in comparison to other mario franchises. The point of of the game is supposed to make you buy the console. It's strange that you keep denying this notion. 

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

"Shakes head" you clearly do no read responses and go off in a nonsensical rant without actually addressing the comment properly. All of those games were reviewed with high scores? Correct. Therefore as I said earlier high scores contribute to sales, which is correct. If you underestimate the average consumers ability to incorporate reviews into their buying decision of a game (Wii was the exception) then your even less intelligent that I thought. Marketing is a big factor as well as previously stated. 

You still don't explain why there is a massive difference in sales despite the fact that there is very little difference in between scores. To say that your correct would simply be a stretch because you still don't give any reasons to my obvious question. You still probably won't be able to explain why the new medal of honor had higher sales than alot of the higher rated games like bayonetta as well as for the rest. Why is the WII an exception when it clearly had the most titles that sold over 5+ million ? It can't be just some coincidence that it happened because otherwise it would make your "you underestimate the average consumers ability to incoporate reviews" point null for the most part. Your the one that's less intelligent if you can't give me a clear relationship between review scores and sales. It's clear that the data you've shown to me only proves my point further as to why review scores don't correlate with sales.

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

I clearly did explain the differences. Your inability to process information when it's  provided to you is not my fault. Your pathetic attempts at continuing this conversation with nonesense and attempting to put words in my mouth by not looking at every fact I stated (reviews "contribute" , marketing significantly "contributes") once again proves you have absolutley no clue what you are talking about. You've been defeated but by all means keep the comments coming, it's rather amusing.

Then how about games like medal of honor where review scores don't contribute to it's sales. Or how about nintendo dogs being able to move 22 millions copies with an average metascore ? The same applies to games like mario party DS. It's clear as day that review scores don't correlate to game sales at all. What's funny is that your trying to back up a dead point by down playing someone's question. Marketing is just another excuse as to why you can't explain the difference in games sales across the board. No matter how good your marketing is it won't save trash like duke nukem forvever. Why did BF4 have lower sales than BF3 despite the fact that it had a bigger marketing campaign ? There's lot's of holes in your points that you can't fix.

radha said:
radha said:

Wii had only a handfull of good games and all were from nintendo, most have their counter part lready on the Wii U and look at sales. That cant compare to the donzens of gems in the PS2.

Just look at Wii u sales, out of the 100 million Wii owners only 5% have cares about the Wii U library, casuals only cared about wii sports, PS2 had a miriad of reason to buy the console.

@Bold I disagree with this. If they truly only cared about wii sports then why does the WII have more 5+ million software sales compared to the PS360 ? 

Exactly, with only few good games, nintendo fans devored the offer, had there been more good options, then there would have been less million sellers

The PS360 has even less so what are you going on about ? 

When the user base is big and you have few good games, those game will easely reach millions since there is little competition for the consumer's budget. If a console with a big used base like PS360 has less million sellers is becuase there were more good options and the competition for the consumer's budget was greater.

This shows that the wii having a big user base but few good games, is more likely they are all million sellers.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Again with the excuses. We all know that 3D mario has smaller legs in comparison to other mario franchises. The point of of the game is supposed to make you buy the console. It's strange that you keep denying this notion. 

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

You still don't explain why there is a massive difference in sales despite the fact that there is very little difference in between scores. To say that your correct would simply be a stretch because you still don't give any reasons to my obvious question. You still probably won't be able to explain why the new medal of honor had higher sales than alot of the higher rated games like bayonetta as well as for the rest. Why is the WII an exception when it clearly had the most titles that sold over 5+ million ? It can't be just some coincidence that it happened because otherwise it would make your "you underestimate the average consumers ability to incoporate reviews" point null for the most part. Your the one that's less intelligent if you can't give me a clear relationship between review scores and sales. It's clear that the data you've shown to me only proves my point further as to why review scores don't correlate with sales.

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Then how about games like medal of honor where review scores don't contribute to it's sales. Or how about nintendo dogs being able to move 22 millions copies with an average metascore ? The same applies to games like mario party DS. It's clear as day that review scores don't correlate to game sales at all. What's funny is that your trying to back up a dead point by down playing someone's question. Marketing is just another excuse as to why you can't explain the difference in games sales across the board. No matter how good your marketing is it won't save trash like duke nukem forvever. Why did BF4 have lower sales than BF3 despite the fact that it had a bigger marketing campaign ? There's lot's of holes in your points that you can't fix.

Yes, let's go ahead and ask that one buddy.

If marketing means nothing to sales, why did it sell less?

If word of mouth from gamers means nothing, why did it sell less? 

If reviews mean nothing, why did it sell less?

How can quality be known to be less, if people don't play it?

How then, is it possible for a sequel to a very hyped and liked game, sell less than it's predecessor?  You can't say it was reviewed less, because that doesn't matter.  You can't say that gamer's didn't enjoy it, because word of mouth doesn't matter.  You also can't say it was marketed poorly, because that doesn't matter.  And, according to you, you also can't say sales are indicative of it's quality, because how would someone know if a game is good if they havent played it without reviews, marketing, or word of mouth?  Why don't you formulate some crazy response to that one.

Well technically WiiU is winning......it got the year head start. Which I totally think is a legit move ;P

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

It’s not an excuse, it is a fact. 3D Worlds was released on an extremely small userbase and has helped contribute to over 500,000 consoles moved in two weeks (sold over 700,000 copies). It increased the user base by 12.5%. Obviously people are “buying the console” due to this.

I’ve already explained it to you thoroughly , maybe you should bring our conversation to the remedial teacher you had in high school and maybe they will have the patience to slowly explain it to you so that it sinks into your head J As for Medal of Honor moving more copies than Bayonetta, that is where the established game/marketing comes into play as I’ve previously explained to you. Which is why I’ve stated reviews CONTRIBUTE TO SALES!!! It does not make my point null and void. The average consumer will incorporate reviews, the soccer mom phenomenon does not. Impulse shopping as previously stated which occurred throughout the Wii’s lifetime which is why shovel ware became predominant. I’ve provided you different factors for each of my points yet you still cannot comprehend.

Medal of honour was a 74/75 on consoles ( to a lot of people still worth a purcahse), Duke Nukem was 49/51 Therefore my logic applies. Nintendogs had 70-80’s on Meta and excellent marketing, the TV ads especially in which multiple ads were released targeting different demographics. Once again you failed to understand that reviews do in fact contribute to sales, as well as marketing, how many times does this has to be beaten over your head under you finally acknowledge it. It’s not an excuse, its fact. Using games like Battlefield, COD and Assasins Creed will not help your argument. I’m not sure if you’re aware but when you release a multigeneration game, it tends to break up the sales. Also Battlefield 3’s reviews were higher than that of 4’s. You claim the market decides what is popular yet you do not explain where it comes to this idea. If it’s not reviews, the media, marketing, then what is it? Word of mouth? And where would this word of mouth come from? Opening sales would not be nearly at the level they are if it was purely word of mouth of the consumer. If that does not explain it then it's impulse. Or maybe, just maybe like I've tried to explain to you, all of these factors CONTRIBUTE  to the overall sales! See your logic is so terribly flawed that it’s hard to believe whether you are being serious, or again if you just really do not have much of a life and the purpose of your account is to live vicariously through it and troll people. I just fixed those apparent holes for you, what’s next?