By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - KZ > ryze and dead ryzing, KZ > Forza NPD

theprof00 said:

I know I answered my own question, I was leading you to water.

2. Vgking requested to be permabanned and insulted every prominent member here. Are you sure you want to be just like him? That says a lot about your character if you choose to follow in the footsteps of a member who many commented in response with "won't be missed", and more importantly follow the misguided analysis simply because it was presented to you by misguided users and now you're too butthurt to accept the truth.

Really says a lot, mohansie.

In the valley of the blind the one eyed man is king. Don't poke your own eyes out because of spite.

Who said I want to be like him?! We're going off topic now. 

Just cause he was a rude person, doesn't mean his statements were wrong or false. His comments and predictions were usually correct. And why would I be butthurt? I could care less about the sales of ryse, dead rising, and Killzone. I'm not interested in the sales of those games, I just think your comparison between the sales of those games is pointless and as I said that in my very first post in this thread, its not fair comparison. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
theprof00 said:

I know I answered my own question, I was leading you to water.

2. Vgking requested to be permabanned and insulted every prominent member here. Are you sure you want to be just like him? That says a lot about your character if you choose to follow in the footsteps of a member who many commented in response with "won't be missed", and more importantly follow the misguided analysis simply because it was presented to you by misguided users and now you're too butthurt to accept the truth.

Really says a lot, mohansie.

In the valley of the blind the one eyed man is king. Don't poke your own eyes out because of spite.

Who said I want to be like him?! We're going off topic now. 

Just cause he was a rude person, doesn't mean his statements were wrong or false. His comments and predictions were usually correct. And why would I be butthurt? I could care less about the sales of ryse, dead rising, and Killzone. I'm not interested in the sales of those games, I just think your comparison between the sales of those games is pointless and as I said that in my very first post in this thread, its not fair comparison. 

What's so hard to understand about good games selling well?

DO you refute this idea??

theprof00 said:

What's so hard to understand about good games selling well?

DO you refute this idea??

But when did I ever disagree with that statement? Good games should sell well. KZ, Forza, ryse, and even Knack are probably all good fun games. I never said KZ was a bad game. I've actually never even played any of those games. I said the reason why Killzone was selling better was because it was selling on a console with a bigger userbase, and then supported that claim with the fact that few PS4 launch exclusives were helping its sales since it was less competition for it. I think we've argued too long about this now.  

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

theprof00 said:

That's wishful thinking on your part.

People buy new gen consoles because the graphical difference is substantial.

Don't pretend like there isn't a reason to get a ps4. Not only is it HOT to have a new console, especially the ps4 with all the word of mouth and difficulty in getting one. YOu don't need an exclusive to buy the console, as you can plainly see by loooking what the top sellers are.

Guess what the best selling game early in 360's life was? call of duty 2. People upgraded in order to play a multiplat.

Title North America Europe Japan
Amped 3 Yes Yes No
Call of Duty 2 Yes Yes No
Condemned: Criminal Origins Yes Yes Yes
Every Party No No Yes
FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup Yes Yes Yes
Gun Yes Yes No
Kameo: Elements of Power Yes Yes No
Madden NFL 06 Yes Yes No
NBA 2K6 Yes No No
NBA Live 06 Yes Yes No
Need for Speed: Most Wanted Yes Yes Yes
NHL 2K6 Yes No No
Perfect Dark Zero Yes Yes Yes
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie Yes Yes No
Project Gotham Racing 3 Yes Yes No
Quake 4 Yes Yes No
Ridge Racer 6 Yes No Yes
Tetris: The Grandmaster ACE No No Yes
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 Yes Yes No
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland Yes Yes No

The only exclusives here were perfect dark zero, kameo, and pgr, yet neither of them managed to exceed 220k in the first week, and the very best was 300k in a month.

Only three exclusives out of that list.

You see, it's not exclusivity that sells. It's the games. Perfect Dark Zero was an 81 metacritic, PGR was 88, and kameo was 79, yet the best selling was not pgr, it was perfect dark. Why? Because it was made by the same people that made goldeneye. So you see, it's not about exclusivity. It's about desirability. PGR was the highest rated game in that whole group.

Every multiplat on there was also on ps2 and xbox. Yet multiplats outsold the exclusives on xbox360.

Just listen to the facts: Every multiplat that outsold exclusives were on average rated lower than the exclusives. That should tell you something.

People upgrade because they want to. Not because of exclusive games. Perfect Dark just so happened to be an exclusive. Even had it not been exclusive, people would have still bought it because it would have looked infinitely better than the other consoles. That's not to say they would have outsold the other console's sales, but that they would have sold well, and sold systems, which they did, like call of duty 2, need for speed most wanted, and madden. Funny how those three games represent 3 of the biggest franchises in gaming. It's not a coincidence they sold better.

Uh, the Call of Duty 2 on Xbox 360 was not the Call of Duty 2 people could play on older consoles. It was an entirely different game made by entirely different people.

I don't see what is so hard to understand about people with 2 options for exclusives on one console, picking the flashy FPS over a poorly reviewed kids game. Of course it played a part in Killzone's sales. Just like you are saying, people upgrade consoles to play better looking games. What is better looking and more of a showoff game for a brand new system, Killzone or Knack? It's an easy choice.

Not to mention, the "more to choose from thus lower sales" has been an argument from Playstation 3 enthusiasts on this site for years when it comes to why PS3 exclusives sell a lot less than they probably should.

But in the end, who cares. Here is a simple breakdown of why it outsold the games laid out in the thread title:

1. PS4 sold more. The most logical reasoning. More consoles on the market = more people buying games.
2. Genre. Almost as logical as #1. A FPS, especially at launch, should outsell the other games.
3. Choice. More to choose from on one console = sales slightly more spread out. Also 2 of the games pretty much directly compete with one another based on their genre.

J_Allard said:

Uh, the Call of Duty 2 on Xbox 360 was not the Call of Duty 2 people could play on older consoles. It was an entirely different game made by entirely different people.

I don't see what is so hard to understand about people with 2 options for exclusives on one console, picking the flashy FPS over a poorly reviewed kids game. Of course it played a part in Killzone's sales. Just like you are saying, people upgrade consoles to play better looking games. What is better looking and more of a showoff game for a brand new system, Killzone or Knack? It's an easy choice.

Not to mention, the "more to choose from thus lower sales" has been an argument from Playstation 3 enthusiasts on this site for years when it comes to why PS3 exclusives sell a lot less than they probably should.

But in the end, who cares. Here is a simple breakdown of why it outsold the games laid out in the thread title:

1. PS4 sold more. The most logical reasoning. More consoles on the market = more people buying games.
2. Genre. Almost as logical as #1. A FPS, especially at launch, should outsell the other games.
3. Choice. More to choose from on one console = sales slightly more spread out. Also 2 of the games pretty much directly compete with one another based on their genre.

But it's not killzone or knack. It's killzone or cod or bf4. What I'm not getting here, is why people insist that exclusives exist in a vacuum. Nobody MUST buy an exclusive.

Secondly, if "more to choose from" was an accepted logic, then why is it argued? Why is it suddenly being accepted now? Yet everytime it comes up, guess who comes knocking? It's usually xbox fans, and I'm not saying that as an insult, I'm saying the topic usually comes up in reference to sales vs xbox exclusives. Many of those same xbox fans would agree. It's quality that sells, and it has little to do with being an exclusive. The only thing exclusivity does for sales is generate hype. This does lead to increased sales, but it doesn't suddenly make people buy an exclusive over a much better multiplat. They do compete with the same wallets youknow.

As far as "ps4 sold more". Could it not also be said that it sold more because of killzone? Hey maybe launching with a major franchise helped sales. If x1 had launched Halo don't you think x1 sales would be higher too? A lot of people tend to wait for those big exclusive franchises because, "there's no reason to get one now". Maybe launching with one helped. I'm sure you can see the validity in that argument.

But sure, I totally agree that higher install base would directly relate to higher game sales.

Around the Network

PS4 sold more because it launched sooner. Look at the past Killzone sales, it is not a system seller. But at launch, every exclusive game becomes bigger.

J_Allard said:
PS4 sold more because it launched sooner. Look at the past Killzone sales, it is not a system seller. But at launch, every exclusive game becomes bigger.

That is a good reason why exclusives would sell more systems at launch, but it yet doesn't explain why someone would buy killzone over the two biggest fps franchises out.

Be back while I check the facts on that system seller comment.

EDIT: I fact-checked that comment, and actually both killzones pushed an addition ~75k consoles

XxGame4lifexX said:
Kane1389 said:
XxGame4lifexX said:
Kane1389 said:
XxGame4lifexX said:
theprof00 said:
XxGame4lifexX said:

Like i've said before. Ps4 had less launch exclusives
less games = higher chances of higher sales
more games = higher chances of less sales 
xbox gamers have more to choose from so obviously sales would be lower.

I know you're repeating yourself, but the reason it may not be sinking in is because that's a hard argument to make.

What you're implying, is that the exclusives exist outside the scope of the library. Sure, if the exclusives were the only games available, you'd have a point. More sales would get lumped onto the fewer products. But here we can see that the exclusives aren't in a vacuum, as shown by the much higher sales of the multiplats.

My point is, saying KZ got more sales because there is less competition is very hard to argue. If the game couldn't earn sales on its own merit, people would have bought the much more popular multiplat games, not a different exclusive.

The higher sales of multiplat games on ps4 are obvious seeing how ps4 is selling more than the competition. Multiplatform games dont warrant a purchase of a console. Exclusive games sell consoles. IMO killzone is doing bad seeing how over 2 million ps4's have been sold. Killzone wasen't competing with halo or gears.....that would have been a disaster for killzone in terms of sales. Halo games sell millions in a day. Killzone is nowhere near that. 

No, just with Call of Duty (which is 2 times bigger than Halo) and Battlefield (bigger than Gears)...

lol multiplaform vs exclusive LOL

COD is available like in 5-6 platforms and so is Battlefield 

Halo and gears and only in 1. 

Plus COD is not the same anymore. It doesnt get the sales as the past games. Gamers are realizing its the same crap over and over. 

Halo 4 launched along with black ops 2 and other huge 3rd party games and it still managed to sell over 9 million copies. With over 1 million on day 1. 

So what if its a multiplat? If you buy a PS4, you can only get a PS4 copy of COD and BF. 

if you buy a PS4 and a want a next gen shooter, you can only get PS4 ports on it.  Not Xbone or PS3 versions with it

COD is not as strong as it was a year ago, but its still in top 3 franchises easly and still bigger than Halo

Black Ops 2 outsold Halo 4

You said COD and battlefield are bigger than halo and gears. I was saying they are bigger because they are multiplatform. Halo and gears are not. Its obvious why COD and BF have more sales. 

COD = available on multiple platforms = it reaches a bigger audience = more sales

Halo = 1 platform = lower audience = less sales i

I did not say halo 4 outsold black ops 2. I said it launched along with black ops 2 and it still sold over 1 million copies on day one. It is impressive seeing how big COD is. Killzone is nowhere near as big as halo. That was my point as to why killzone sold good (according to you) and why it outsold xbox one exclusives. 

Even on 360 alone, COD games sold better than Halo games. Look at MW2 and MW3 sales, and compare Black Ops with Halo Reach. I thought that this would have been obvious

Kane1389 and XxGame4lifexX are you reading each other posts before you post your replies?

theprof00 said:

It is a shame that Dead Rising 3 hasn't sold better (although it still has time to do so).   It really has been a fun game and better than Ryse in my opinion.  Can't comment on KZ yet, but I've hear much like Ryse it is more "show than go".

Funny thing is, the graphics in DR3 are still great.  I think people who give it a lot of shit haven't actually PLAYED it.  The more I've played the game the more I realize that.  Some of the scenes literally have hundreds and hundreds of zombies on screen at once.  The congestion is unreal and really makes you wonder how you are going to get from point A to B sometimes.  Using cars to get high ground etc. to stay alive.  Flares to move the crowd away from you to clear a path.  To me, it's what they wanted to achieve with DR2 but couldn't because of the hardware (Xbox 360).

Now the inventory system is still rage inducing at times, but I digress.  Overall really fun game.