By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - You can't buy a Wii U gamepad in stores!?

Vikki said:
WTF. I never even noticed this before. Is there a reason for this? :S

Probably to avoid even more confusion (and initially to put all manufacturing resources into complete consoles). You can't use more than 1 gamepad per console yet, the only reason to need another one is if yours breaks. If this happens, contact Nintendo for another one.

When games are developed that use 2 gamepads, Nintendo will sell them separately through retailers.

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Izo said:

For reasons I can't begin to understand, buying a second or even a replacement Wii U gamepad at retail is not possible. This is completely insane. Now before people jump in and say "just send it to Nintendo for repair" or w/e save yourself some trouble. I want another Wii U gamepad and sending it to them is not an option.

If your Wii U gamepad is lost or you just don't want to send it for repairs you pretty much lose 50% of your functionality unless you buy one on Ebay for 1/2 to 2/3rds of the consoles entire cost. 

The system is set up for 2 concurrent GamePads at the moment so there is no reason to sell it in stores.  It would eat up shelf space, manufacturing costs beyond the volume of Wii U consoles manufactured, etc...all costing way more than what would make it valid for general distribution.

If you need a replacement, contact Nintendo for direct sales.

If it was to much trouble to sell them at retail, Nintendo should've made 100% of the functionality and games doable via a regular remote. 

Izo said:
Viper1 said:
Izo said:

For reasons I can't begin to understand, buying a second or even a replacement Wii U gamepad at retail is not possible. This is completely insane. Now before people jump in and say "just send it to Nintendo for repair" or w/e save yourself some trouble. I want another Wii U gamepad and sending it to them is not an option.

If your Wii U gamepad is lost or you just don't want to send it for repairs you pretty much lose 50% of your functionality unless you buy one on Ebay for 1/2 to 2/3rds of the consoles entire cost. 

The system is set up for 2 concurrent GamePads at the moment so there is no reason to sell it in stores.  It would eat up shelf space, manufacturing costs beyond the volume of Wii U consoles manufactured, etc...all costing way more than what would make it valid for general distribution.

If you need a replacement, contact Nintendo for direct sales.

If it was to much trouble to sell them at retail, Nintendo should've made 100% of the functionality and games doable via a regular remote. 

If everything went according to Nintendos plan we would probably have them in stores. But at the moment people hardly buy Wii U's, the chance of people actually buying a gamepad is next to zero.

Basicly what I'm saying is that no matter if Nintendo wanted it in stores or not, retailers wouldn't put it there. Also, it would ad to the confusion (people thinking the Wii U is just the tablet, an add on to the Wii).

IsawYoshi said:
Izo said:
Viper1 said:
Izo said:

If everything went according to Nintendos plan we would probably have them in stores. But at the moment people hardly buy Wii U's, the chance of people actually buying a gamepad is next to zero.

That is Nintendo's problem though. Not being able to buy the main controller to a console I paid for is not my burden to share. It seems very short sighted to make the most valueable piece of the console unavailable should anything happen.

are you prepared to pay 100-150 for one?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
mysteryman said:
Vikki said:

Probably to avoid even more confusion (and initially to put all manufacturing resources into complete consoles). You can't use more than 1 gamepad per console yet, the only reason to need another one is if yours breaks. If this happens, contact Nintendo for another one.

When games are developed that use 2 gamepads, Nintendo will sell them separately through retailers.

That's actually a really good point now that I think about it. But back ups would be nice

Incubi said:
Vikki said:

It prolly wouldnt look good if people went into a store and saw a gamepad for sale at 129 USD ? XD

That too would be offputting now that I think about it xD

]

Roma said:
are you prepared to pay 100-150 for one?

Not prepared to spend $60 dollars on retail Playstation controllers either. I buy them used from friends or family because it's a rip off. I have that option because of the vast number of options and the fact that the PS3 controller itself is at retail. 

Izo said:
IsawYoshi said:
Izo said:
Viper1 said:
Izo said:

That is Nintendo's problem though. Not being able to buy the main controller to a console I paid for is not my burden to share. It seems very short sighted to make the most valueable piece of the console unavailable should anything happen.

I'm pretty sure you can still buy it directly from Nintendo.

Maybe they'll drop the Gamepade altogether.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Shortiloe said:
Just wait, I think Games, which support 2 GamePads, will be announced in the next direct or at least some new information.

Will never happen.  While the wii u can technically function with two gamepads, performance takes a huge hit, supposedly cutting frame rate by at least half, with large amounts of jutter and skipping.  

Not to mention releasing any game with functionality for two gamepads would not sell well because people would have to pay 80 bucks for a new gamepad, on top of the price of the game.

if anything, I see nintendo cutting back on gamepad functions and focusing more on their pro controller.