By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - You can't buy a Wii U gamepad in stores!?

Who say's the Wii-U even supports more than one gamepad?

Around the Network

The OS and Nintendo.

people would be really disappointed when i can't connect to their wii.

Izo said:

For reasons I can't begin to understand, buying a second or even a replacement Wii U gamepad at retail is not possible. This is completely insane. Now before people jump in and say "just send it to Nintendo for repair" or w/e save yourself some trouble. I want another Wii U gamepad and sending it to them is not an option.

If your Wii U gamepad is lost or you just don't want to send it for repairs you pretty much lose 50% of your functionality unless you buy one on Ebay for 1/2 to 2/3rds of the consoles entire cost. 

How is this even suprising over a year after release, anyone with a Wii U should know this already.

Izo said:
IsawYoshi said:
Izo said:
Viper1 said:
Izo said:

If everything went according to Nintendos plan we would probably have them in stores. But at the moment people hardly buy Wii U's, the chance of people actually buying a gamepad is next to zero.

That is Nintendo's problem though. Not being able to buy the main controller to a console I paid for is not my burden to share. It seems very short sighted to make the most valueable piece of the console unavailable should anything happen.

I know you can buy one should something happen, directly from Nintendo, so, there.

Around the Network
Izo said:

That is Nintendo's problem though. Not being able to buy the main controller to a console I paid for is not my burden to share. It seems very short sighted to make the most valueable piece of the console unavailable should anything happen.

It is available directly from Nintendo.   There is no reason to sell GamePad replacements at retail.  If you need a replacement, go to the source.

I suppose you never read the manual or any of the other documentation that came with the console that informed you to contact Nintendo if you need a new GamePad?

You can't buy a Kinect 2.0 at stores for the same reason.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

If it breaks, then it should still be under warranty... call Nintendo.

There is no reason to have a 2nd at this point.

Vikki said:
WTF. I never even noticed this before. Is there a reason for this? :S

Hell yes, they did not want angry parents asking why the new accesory will not work with their old Wii. Remember MANY common people still think that the Wii U is just a Wii with a new control, imagine how many more will be confused if they saw that the gamepad is actually sold as an accesory.

Its the same with the Kinect v2. you cannot buy it in stores.

The gamepad will one day be available at retail, if games which make use of dual-gamepad functionality are released.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

I thought Nintendo said they would not be available at launch but would be available later- seems like I read that in one of their releases around launch time