By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was Sony's focus on late last gen triple A a failure?

It's too early to call GT6 a flop. Also I think this focus payed off. This is the reason the PS3 rebound from it's launch.

Around the Network

I guess the move wasn't that bad.
They needed some fast gt6 extra-money to refinance the ps4 start.

gt6 right know would be pretty stupid on ps4 as the demand would even got higher for ps4 + even if 50% of all ps4owners would have bought gt6 the game would barely sell more than 1.5mio copies till the end of the year.

Another thing is:They haven't abandoned the ps3 players.Just the opposite what ms did 3times(when 360 was released with the original xbox,when kinect was released with core gamers,when xbox1 was released with 360)
many consumers realised that their system is still supported while the competition ignored them for four years and know pretend to be the gamers best friend.

let them sell a combined 8-10mio units of tlou/gt6/beyond& puppeteer i guess this could be called a success,especially as they would never reach such sales numbers with the ps4 in the beginning.
I also think that polyphony has already started to work on gt7 for ps4 long time ago (parallel to gt6)

fallen said:

Last of Us did very well, but Beyond and now GT6 have basically flopped completely, they seem like completely forgotten unyped games, while MS parades a better initial XBO lineup around.

Too me it's always been that Sony traded a better late PS3 library where MS focused an a better initial XBOX One ibrary instead ihn the same time period. Which was the better decision?

I believe Beyond and GT6 would have flopped regardless of the console they were released for.

- GT is not the juggernaut it was on PS1 and PS2 days.  GT5 burned the franchise for many people and GT6 just completed the work.

- Beyond feels like HR and Indigo Prophecy to me and marketing for it was poor to say the least.

- The last of us did well because it looked great from the beggining.  It was a new IP in a moment that industry is flooded with yearly releases of the same AAA games (Notably AC and COD).  Even a port of this game for PS4 would do well.

Sony's decision to focus on late AAA games for Ps3 was the best move they've made in a while.

Both the Ps4 and Xbone had very mediocre launch software, with the Xbone being a bit more diverse (Forza, DR3, Ryse) compared to the Ps4 of basically just Killzone and Knack and f2p games.

You look at those lineups, and wonder why the Ps4 is completely outselling the Xbone globally and in the US, where 360 was once king.

Well, the new gen consoles are selling on hype alone. That's pretty much it. You could've released both with just Angry Birds and they still would have sold. Because of Sony realizing this, they are spacing out their AAA Ps4 games (Driveclub, Infamous, The Order) and will have more depth in 2014 and beyond.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

I don't think you are making sense to be honest. And to answer your question no it was not a failure at all. GT6 will see fine, as TLOU did and to be honest supporting your system can never be called a failure that's just silly.

And also the launch line-ups were pretty even(quality wise anyway) if you ask me. And both had plenty of games to play(mostly thanks to 3rd party support on both sides). So it boils down to the games a person prefers and what games that are releasing in the future on both respective systems.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
fallen said:

Last of Us did very well, but Beyond and now GT6 have basically flopped completely, they seem like completely forgotten unyped games, while MS parades a better initial XBO lineup around.

Too me it's always been that Sony traded a better late PS3 library where MS focused an a better initial XBOX One ibrary instead ihn the same time period. Which was the better decision?

No, I think it was a good idea for them.

Last Gen, MS came out with the CLEARLY better library for the first... 2 full years. Sony made up for it later. By the end of the generation, everyone's saying Sony is all about the games and want a PS4. But this generation looks to be shaping up just like the last one. X1 has the better launch lineup, the first upcoming 'must have', and the most upcoming exclusives over the next year - but pre launch buzz was that MS lost their focus on games. Everyone's saying PS3 had better exclusives, so will the PS4.

So in short, I think it was the better decision, because people have a 'what have you done for me lately?' attitude. People remember the recent exclusives, not the past dry spell.

Arcturus said:
fallen said:

The game was released less than a week ago.

This is the age where a game is considered a flop if it doesn't do Black Ops/GTA numbers in it's first week.

I fail to see how TLOU is a flop as it will most likely end at 4 millions units by the end of this year, and is probably under tracked a bit too, we haven't got the GT6 numbers, but even if it doesn't do aswell as prior installments, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will be bundled all year untill a GT6:Epilogue or whatever is released on ps4 with all DLC and some slight improvements something like. You can also bet that will sell at least 7 million copies which is basically pure profit for PD as they did all the donkey work with the first one (which is why they always put 2 of them on the same console, as they do the donkey work with the first one, then just polish+more content for the second), also GT5 just this year has sold 900k... there's no way that GT6 is going to sell as little as people expect. And did people really expect Beyond to pull massive numbers? It's most likely going to end up about 900k by the end of the year, will also be most likely to be bundled next year and is a niche game, I mean come on people.

Perhaps the only game that hasn't done as well as expected is GOW:A but I don't trust VGC's GOW numbers as they chronically under track them

I do think they released the good games too late in the life cycle of the system.

Damn, at least they had games worthy of attention.

Rain, Puppeteer, Beyond...they might all "flop" commercially, but I'd rather a system with them then without. Yes, Sony is a money-grubbing corporation like the rest, but at least there is new, exciting content for their platform. Ni No Kuni, TLOU, GT6 etc.

What did the Xbox 360 and Wii provide their userbases to play with this year?