By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was Sony's focus on late last gen triple A a failure?

It was a good decision, PS4 was going to sell no matter what and Sony is actually making a profit in each PS3 sold so new software always help, we all know there will be a GT6 bundle for every region down the line.

Around the Network

Hm no
It shows Sony stands for variety and support of different Genres.
Limelight this year was insanely big on Sony and they showed their "good guy attitude" on as many ways as possible.
They are the good guys right now - They did the right thing for the gamers interested in NextGen while still supporting and pumping out new projects that aren't the "usual" things for their old system.
Even GT6 is feeling somehow new cause we didn't get Gran Turismo Games every damn year.
And the big numbers of Cars and Tracks you see in TV and other ways of advertisement make their round too.

People right now see Sony is supporting their consoles especially compared to the competitor.
Not to be mean but what did Microsoft do?2013 nothing from them and everyone said they are preparing an insane Launch Lineup for NextGen...yeah not so much right?
Sony had the same amount of quality for the launch lineup,for some better or worse(taste) but in 2013 you got a lot of great games for the PS3,even the game of the generation with The Last of Us and the time till the PS4 came out was used well for the PR and general presence.
Those people who couldn't get or still didn't see the need to go for the PS4 have still a lot of stuff coming up next year.You don't get that mentality of losing out cause you didn't upgrade to the NextGen and won't be able for whatever the reason might be for the near future.

Cj2i3 said:
fallen said:

while MS parades a better initial XBO lineup around.

That gave me a big laugh.

Forza great game, lacks content 82 metacritic.

25 Metacritic-Fighter Within

48 Metacritic-Lococycle

56 Metacritic-Crimson Dragon

god I can go on, but I won't.

That "better" launch lineup is filled with games that are objectively mediocre to just utterly bad and is composed of only 2 good games.

for the fact Sony's first party studios have been able to compose a Game of The Year contender for the last 4 years in a row is amazing 

God of War 3, Uncharted 3, Journey, The Last of Us.

5 years, don't forget Uncharted 2 which won overall game of the year awards.

I would gladly take a worse launch for exclusives, If it means I get an overall better gen.

Just like Super Mario Bros 3D World, GT6 will be fine. Not every game has to sell 1m in a week. And has GT6 numbers even been released yet?

Oh and Beyond is 2nd Party developer, not 1st party though it is owned by Sony.  

Around the Network
veritaz said:
Cj2i3 said:
fallen said:

48 Metacritic-Lococycle

That "better" launch lineup is filled with games that are objectively mediocre to just utterly bad and is composed of only 2 good games.

for the fact Sony's first party studios have been able to compose a Game of The Year contender for the last 4 years in a row is amazing 

Smh. For some reason I was thinking Killzone 2 was the only notable release that year. And LBP in 08'.

Sony just pounds out great games like its no big deal.

Cj2i3 said:
veritaz said:
Cj2i3 said:
fallen said:

48 Metacritic-Lococycle

Smh. For some reason I was thinking Killzone 2 was the only notable release that year. And LBP in 08'.

Sony just pounds out great games like its no big deal.

Killer Instinct is being considered one of the best fighters now regardless of the lack of launch content, Dead Rising 3, and Forza 5 was still able to manage to do great with lack of "launch" content.

Then you have an upcoming library of Project Spark, TitanFall, Kinect Sports Rivals, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare, Peggle 2, Halo Spartan Assault, and Max: The Curse of Brotherhood in the next 3-5 months.

That isn't considering the bigger heavy hitters coming later in the year. 

While this thread is borderline over the top with jumping the gun Microsoft does have a very game centric lineup.  

And yes Sony has produced amazing games this generation and in my opinion was the best of the big 3 giving exclusive content but until I see them in this generation it is hard to say that their lineup looks lack luster at this very moment.  

I will buy it when Uncharted comes out though :)

TheEspionage said:
Cj2i3 said:

Killer Instinct is being considered one of the best fighters now regardless of the lack of launch content, Dead Rising 3, and Forza 5 was still able to manage to do great with lack of "launch" content.

Then you have an upcoming library of Project Spark, TitanFall, Kinect Sports Rivals, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare, Peggle 2, Halo Spartan Assault, and Max: The Curse of Brotherhood in the next 3-5 months.

That isn't considering the bigger heavy hitters coming later in the year. 

While this thread is borderline over the top with jumping the gun Microsoft does have a very game centric lineup.  

And yes Sony has produced amazing games this generation and in my opinion was the best of the big 3 giving exclusive content but until I see them in this generation it is hard to say that their lineup looks lack luster at this very moment.  

I will buy it when Uncharted comes out though :)

That's what I stated or perhaps meant to state about Forza great game despite lack of content it's a trade off which I like. Just like GT6 is a trade off great game despite numerous issues offset by large amounts of content. DR3 too is  sick as hell, if Xbox One wasn't sold out I would of got one just for that.

and maybe one could make the case for KI, though I am upset it would launch with such a lack of characters. Undoubtedly gameplay looks great though. But in no means Microsoft is parading around with its better launch lineup, definately parading around with a larger number and more variety no question.

Though Sony had only 2 triple A games that performed probably below expectations critically and commercially in Beyond and GOW A. Puppeteer, LBP K, PSASBR, Starhawk, Sly 4 were all low budget(not triple a) experiments that Sony wanted to test the waters. Jury is still out on GT6 critically it's good, sales need to come in and at the end of the day microtransactions will be huge too. Just OP has me a little ???? as to what the heck his point is.

Double post.

they just give more reasons to pick up a ps3 for years to come,as it continues its climb to 100M+