By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone else happy with 3D World commercial failure?

Lyrikalstylez said:

Not interested in this Mario title at all, even if it got rave reviews which I find biased I could care less...

Now a galaxy type game would at least get my attention..

lol any review for any game is biased using that logic.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:
wasnt trying to troll, figured most people who wanted the game, bought it. especially for black friday when there were deals on the system. Im just pessimistic

There were barely any deals on the system for Black Friday. Actually I believe only one major retalier had it under MSRP while basically every major retailer had some type of deal on 360/PS3/3DS. U could get 360 for as low as $99, PS3 for $149 and 2DS/3DS for $99/149 vs Wii U for $249.

fair enough

Rogerioandrade said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Rogerioandrade said:
Lol

it´s funny to notice how some people here really don´t understand - or just pretend to not understand - how the market works, or are simply dumb.

then Super Mario 3d world sold 700k... ok..

how many digital copies did it sold?
how many copies nintendo needs to sell in order to make some profit?
how many copies will it sell lifetime?

Unless we have the answer to these three questions, we can´t say it´s a commercial failure.

Those are not the important questions. The real question is: how much could it already have sold if it hade also launched on other platforms? And the answer is probably 4-5 million at the very least, i think even more.

You can't justify missing out on that many sales forever, i can almost see the Playstation Mario boxart already.

Would PS fans really buy Mario games ? They´re not even buying Knack.....or Rayman.....

yeah, it might sell something on sony consoles... but we are now actually discussing if it is a commercial failure or not the way it is. And it´s still too early too tell.

this makes no sense, you're acting like PS owners dont own a Ninty system as well and vice versa, why do people insist we live in a world where people only buy one system. If Wii/PS360 proved anything is that it is not the case at all. Knack is terrible example as it got mediocore reviews, were SOny fans supposed to buy that mediocore game in droves? hell no. Rayman Origins sold the best on PS3 some forget that. and Origins isnt that far behind the Wii U version which isnt bad considering the Wii U version got most of the ads and attention.

KylieDog said:

Good enough games will sell bad hardware.  3D World isn't selling WiiU hardware so 3D World is not good enough. 

Unrealistic expectations and you're ignoring there was a sales boost. So it did help, "sell bad hardware."

I think the only game that can really push Wii U hardware sales is Grand Theft Auto 6 as an exclusive.

Considering you're Vita owner... well you know it takes more than a few solid games to sell hardware. Vita sales are piss poor because there is little to look forward to.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

KylieDog said:
Mr Puggsly said:
KylieDog said:

...completely ignore WiiU.  3D World, major title, failed to push WiiU hardware above even PS3/360. 

Ignore Wii U... even though Wii U is obviously the problem.

Good enough games will sell bad hardware.  3D World isn't selling WiiU hardware so 3D World is not good enough. 

GTA5 Laughs at you

Around the Network
Salnax said:
The problem is, 3D World seems like a great game that deserves better. Hate EAD Tokyo for Nintendo for not sticking with an older formula, not the game that seems to be a master of what it does.

And since when is a power-up in a Mario game a gimmick?

Since the Tanooki suit, I believe.

Lucas-Rio said:

To me, it's great to the game selling badly, because it mean Nintendo with stop with the 3D Land approach, the cat gimmick and the multiplayer based platformer and we give us back the Mario we love.

A new Galaxy, 64 or Sunshine may come to life now.

Selling badly? How is it selling badly?

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

KylieDog said:

...completely ignore WiiU.  3D World, major title, failed to push WiiU hardware above even PS3/360. 

Hyperbole is hyperbole, and trolling is trolling.

You have to take all facts and factors into account before forming such "informed" opinions.

You actually WANT Nintendo to go back down the Sunshine route?? Lol..

What Nintendo needs to do with Mario is to focus more on the 2D classic stuff, but with NEW content, and not just new powerups. They need new WORLDS, new mechanics, maybe some new characters. Think of the jump from Mario 3 to Mario World. They need THAT kind of a leap to keep people interested.

orniletter said:
prayformojo said:
orniletter said:
prayformojo said:
I am under the belief that Mario should be retired for a few years or more BUT, if and when it happens, console Mario's should always be way more ambitious. Leave the 2D for handhelds where that sort of thing belongs.

Besides, the only reason we got 3D World is because Nintendo, under Iwata, has turned into a cheap company. They were able to use the same assets and design concept with 3D World. Had they developed something revolutionary like Galaxy? The costs would have been insanely higher.

I love how people judge a game without even playing it.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, on all points.

NSMB Wii is a direct result of porting NSMB DS over to their home console. They've done it before with lots of other IP. Iwata just went to the well one too many times.

Yeah...

No !

You make an extremely sound counter argument.