By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only one not impressed by graphics anymore?

When 2005 rolled around and Xbox 360 and PS3 were starting to be talked about I was excited. I downloaded endless trailers of Motorstorm, Gears of War, Call of Duty, etc and was literally blown away. I moved from PS2 to Xbox 360 and day one the first time I popped in COD2 my jaw hit the floor. I was finally playing HD games on my new television.

I continued to be amazed by games such as Gears of War (first true next gen experience of those consoles imo), Gears of War 3, COD4:MW, MW2, Halo:Reach, Halo 4 andRDR. I also was blown away by God of War 3, Uncharted 2,3, Killzone2 & 3 after i purchased my PS3 a few years later. Starting in 2012 I was getting burnt out on last gen and got the itch to build a PC. I also needed a PC for my college major so it was a good excuse to spend some extra money so I could build a decent gaming rig. I finally built one earlier this year and I was blown away by BF3 Ultra settings, Absolute:Hitman, Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider. I literally couldn't believe what I was missing playing on consoles for so long. These cross gen games were so far ahead of consoles it was insane. Then I download Crysis 3 and contined to be blown away by what I was seeing.

Fast forward 8-9 months and I have seen direct feed videos of Witcher 3, The Division and direct feed screenshots of The Order:1886. Witcher 3 and Division footage is obviously PC and I'm just not feeling that same amazement I did almost a year ago when I jumped to PC. I have an Xbox One now and I didn't buy it for the graphics, but I bought it for Killer Instinct, Halo, Quantum Break, Black Tusk's new IP and being able to play Titanfall and BF4 with my friends. I will eventually get a PS4 but even on that platform I don't think Uncharted or future IPs will be able to blow my mind like PC did a year ago.

I feel that jumping from PS2 -> HD gen was a huge leap, and then jumping from 360/PS3 -> PC was again another huge leap but at this point I feel that graphics have plateaued. While Witcher 3 & The Division are beautiful they don't look any better than Crysis 3 and some other PC games I have played. I feel that even a few years from now games aren't going to make another huge jump.

It always has been more about gameplay than graphics but the jump in visual fidelity was fun in past gens.  I believe this gen and future gens that gameplay is more important than ever. If this gen becomes a battle of resolution and fps I'm going to be severely disappointed.

Around the Network

Nope, you are not the only one, my friend, and that's all I'll say

You surely aren't the only one.The biggest shock in my videogame life graphics wise was the jump from 2d mario to super mario 64.It was really something breathtaking at the time.But i believe i felt that cause it was married with truly new and inovative gameplay too.I don't believe I'll witness something similar again.

Busted said:
Nope, you are not the only one, my friend, and that's all I'll say

1 up!

Damn, someone beat me... 2 up, I guess..

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

All I can say is that Killzone keeps taking my breath away when I play it

Trailers don't do much for me most of the time, I've become too cynical to believe much of what I'm shown. But when I'm playing graphics can certainly wow me

Around the Network

Well graphics are cool but the eyes get used to them and its the gameplay that has you hooked. Although i like something in the terms of graphics:
Nowadays developers tend to show you the graphics in such a way that with every hour spend you get wowed. And in conclusion levels you get to see the best it has to offer. I like that!

So buy a Ouya.

or the console with more game games and cheaper

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Nope.

I'll be amazed when Avatar like graphics hit gaming. Till then I'll guess I'll be amazed by stuff like portal and wii sports, which did so much with average graphics.

Well, I gotta say that back in the day FMVs were something to make you fall off your seat compared to the in-game graphics. Years passed and the difference was almost null.

Still.... playing Super Mario 3D World with some friends made us wonder how it was possible that we could now count every single one of the Cat Suit's hairs. Although the moustache is a stiff one indeed.

But who knows? Maybe we reached an impasse? They are improving facial expressions instead?

....I'm getting my eyes checked soon, anyway. Maybe that will clear up some things. Or not.

Gameplay >>>>> Graphics anyday. I still go back and play older game like FFIX,Command & Conquer Generals and others.

Crysis franchise is a proof that better graphics doesn't make the gameplay better when the innovation is lacking.

Beside the graphic jump in PS3 to PS4 is not large at all compared to PS1 to PS2