SM3DWorld sales are bad

Where's Metroid? 91 30.74%

Outsold by Knack 95 32.09%

I want Galaxy 3 49 16.55%

I want 64-2 38 12.84%

I want Sunshine 2 22 7.43%

Total:295

I think this is simple to understand:
launching 3d Mario along with PS4 and Xbone was a mistake. We all knew it would be.

This game should have come earlier, I´d say that Nintendo should have released it two or three weeks before GTA V, so it would get both press and retailers attention.

There´s too much going on on this industry right now for people to pay attention to Mario 3D World. Now, Nintendo only can hope it have great legs.

Around the Network
ninetailschris said:
Pavolink said:
PlatformN. AmericaEuropeJapanGlobal
197,597 39,253 28,338 274,179

One of the biggest weeks of the year, near christmas, and well, not even 300k hw sales for Wii U.

3D Flop literally flopped in Japan with a lame 100k FW (lowest 3D Mario debut ever) and in USA didn't set the charts on fire. We know that it is good, reviews, legs and blah blah. The point is, that this "3D" Mario is not generating hype and it's not moving consoles, not even in the holidays. While 3DLand+MK+Price cut helped the 3DS, SM3DWorld is even outsold by Knack in the UK. Now what?

Reality is, that Wii U will sell around GC numbers (22M) so hardware sales won't make Nintendo proud, but software can, and to do that they need games to be hyped for and gamers are willing to buy. Maybe a proper 3D Mario where we can collect stars ala 64/Sunshine/Galaxy's  can generate more hype than a mixture of 3D/2D Multiplayer Mario.

Considering Koizumi hinted another game and a soon announcement, can we expect a real 64/Sunshine/Galaxy succesor? Are we allowed to dream with it? And when DK proves it's not a system seller, can we have a new Metroid for Retro? Can we ask for it, even when we already know it will flop? Please?

Is it bad if, as a Nintendo fan, I ask for games I'm willing to buy?

Wiiu was selling 20,000 week and now 190,000. People don't understand that consoles don't just go from 20,000 to 300,000. You need momentum it needs to sell and increase over time. Maybe you live in a fantasy world where everything goes from bad to amazing in one week but anyone in business knows this is not possible. Nintendo if they keep around 100,000 week then they done a good job so far because it's progess. 

"Is it bad if, as a Nintendo fan, I ask for games I'm willing to buy?"

i put you in the f-zero club. Where they don't realize there opinions don't reflect actual sales and good business decisions.

I agree. These bad sales numbers reflect bad bussiness decisions.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Frequency said:
Zero999 said:
Soundwave said:
Mario 3D World would've outsold either Galaxy game on the original Wii.

Multiplayer + more classic styled Mario levels would've sold a gigaton on the Wii.

The Wii U is just a dud of a console, and Nintendo is reaping their results for an incredibly poorly thought out hardware strategy now by having a game like Mario 3D World suffer.

They've oversaturated the Mario brand recently too, way too many games.

The big thing that sucks is I can see the next 3D Mario being moved to the 3DS now instead of Wii U. Why sell 4-5 million copies of a Mario game when on the 3DS they could probably double that easily?

absolutely. 4 games (2 3d and 2 2d) for two systems, with one year apart the two of each console. that's totally oversaturating.

dude, EA, ACTIVISION and UBISOFT releasing AC, call of retrocess, skylanders and EA sports every year, THAT is oversaturating.

the only nintendo console since nes that had 2 marios of the same style was the wii, with galaxy and galaxy 2. end even then, they were 3 years apart.

These are staple third party publishers, delivering cross platform franchises, feel free to find a first party microsoft or sony game milked as hard as mario.

Mario is not a milked franchise. you presented no argument to excuse third parties milking franchises. sony/ms don't have enough franchises or resources to milk them. but sony did milk uncharted with 3 iterations on the same console.

ninetailschris said:
Pavolink said:
PlatformN. AmericaEuropeJapanGlobal
197,597 39,253 28,338 274,179

One of the biggest weeks of the year, near christmas, and well, not even 300k hw sales for Wii U.

3D Flop literally flopped in Japan with a lame 100k FW (lowest 3D Mario debut ever) and in USA didn't set the charts on fire. We know that it is good, reviews, legs and blah blah. The point is, that this "3D" Mario is not generating hype and it's not moving consoles, not even in the holidays. While 3DLand+MK+Price cut helped the 3DS, SM3DWorld is even outsold by Knack in the UK. Now what?

Reality is, that Wii U will sell around GC numbers (22M) so hardware sales won't make Nintendo proud, but software can, and to do that they need games to be hyped for and gamers are willing to buy. Maybe a proper 3D Mario where we can collect stars ala 64/Sunshine/Galaxy's  can generate more hype than a mixture of 3D/2D Multiplayer Mario.

Considering Koizumi hinted another game and a soon announcement, can we expect a real 64/Sunshine/Galaxy succesor? Are we allowed to dream with it? And when DK proves it's not a system seller, can we have a new Metroid for Retro? Can we ask for it, even when we already know it will flop? Please?

Is it bad if, as a Nintendo fan, I ask for games I'm willing to buy?

Wiiu was selling 20,000 week and now 190,000. People don't understand that consoles don't just go from 20,000 to 300,000. You need momentum it needs to sell and increase over time. Maybe you live in a fantasy world where everything goes from bad to amazing in one week but anyone in business knows this is not possible. Nintendo if they keep around 100,000 week then they done a good job so far because it's progess. 

"Is it bad if, as a Nintendo fan, I ask for games I'm willing to buy?"

i put you in the f-zero club. Where they don't realize there opinions don't reflect actual sales and good business decisions.

Couldn´t have said better.

People need to understand the difference between business decisions and passionate decisions.

The WiiU is not doing good but these three last weeks it´s doing a lot better.  Now that there´s an audience coming, albeit still small, Nintendo must carefully think and take its next steps to keep that audience pleased.

Nintendo oversaturated the market with Mario. They need to give the ole' plumber a rest for a few years. Then work on a reboot similar to how Super Mario 64 reinvigorated the series.

Around the Network

zelda kart...

super smash karting....

the new super smash brothers U.... a platformer where you can choose your charactern from ssb

super smash galaxy

metroid: call of samus

metroid: grand theft spaceship

kirby galaxy

donkey kong: ocarina of banana

yarn metroid

ice climber: tropical freeze

Yoshi Island: Other Y

XYZ (pokemon mmorpg)

Metroid: Assault

Starfox Fusion

Legend of Kirby: Pink Princess

Animal Crossing X
Animal Crossing Y
Animal Crossing Z

Tomodachi Mystery Dungeon

Call of Duck Hunt U

Kid Icarus X God of War (yeah yeah yeah)

Pikmin: Wind Waker

Fire Emblem: Labia Majora's Mask

Donkey and diddy kong: Wet dream team

Ness X Villager

Frequency said:
Zero999 said:
Soundwave said:

Multiplayer + more classic styled Mario levels would've sold a gigaton on the Wii.

The Wii U is just a dud of a console, and Nintendo is reaping their results for an incredibly poorly thought out hardware strategy now by having a game like Mario 3D World suffer.

The big thing that sucks is I can see the next 3D Mario being moved to the 3DS now instead of Wii U. Why sell 4-5 million copies of a Mario game when on the 3DS they could probably double that easily?

absolutely. 4 games (2 3d and 2 2d) for two systems, with one year apart the two of each console. that's totally oversaturating.

dude, EA, ACTIVISION and UBISOFT releasing AC, call of retrocess, skylanders and EA sports every year, THAT is oversaturating.

the only nintendo console since nes that had 2 marios of the same style was the wii, with galaxy and galaxy 2. end even then, they were 3 years apart.

These are staple third party publishers, delivering cross platform franchises, feel free to find a first party microsoft or sony game milked as hard as mario.

Uhh, pretty much every flagship game they have? How many Halos were on the 360, again?

Ratchet and Clank, Gears of War, Uncharted, Forza. We're talking 3 mainline (of the two different main lines) Mario games on Wii, and 2 so far on Wii U, with 2 on 3DS. Now, that does cram together, a fair bit, but its hardly unprecedented.

(I dare you to cite the spinoffs as Mario games).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Zero999 said:
Frequency said:
Zero999 said:
Soundwave said:

Mario is not a milked franchise. you presented no argument to excuse third parties milking franchises. sony/ms don't have enough franchises or resources to milk them. but sony did milk uncharted with 3 iterations on the same console.

Reaaaalyy..

3ds:

Super mario 3d land

Mario kart 7 (Spinoff, separate genre)

Sonic and mario london 2012 olympics (Spinoff, separate genre)

Mario tennis open (Spinoff, minor genre overlap with olympics)

New super mario bros 2

Paper mario sticker star (Spinoff, very separate genre)

Luigis mansion dark moon (Spinoff, somewhat separate genre)

Mario party island tour (Spinoff, separate genre)

Mario luigi dream team (Spinoff, overlaps with Paper)

All of these in a 3 year period on just a handheld, if you count the wii and wiiu then in a 3 year period they released a whopping 19 directly mario related games.

Mario, as a basis for a game, is the most milked franchise of all time, deal with it.

Frequency said:
Zero999 said:
Frequency said:

Reaaaalyy..

3ds:

Super mario 3d land

Mario kart 7 (Spinoff, separate genre)

Sonic and mario london 2012 olympics (Spinoff, separate genre)

Mario tennis open (Spinoff, minor genre overlap with olympics)

New super mario bros 2

Paper mario sticker star (Spinoff, very separate genre)

Luigis mansion dark moon (Spinoff, somewhat separate genre)

Mario party island tour (Spinoff, separate genre)

Mario luigi dream team (Spinoff, overlaps with Paper)

All of these in a 3 year period on just a handheld, if you count the wii and wiiu then in a 3 year period they released a whopping 19 directly mario related games.

Mario, as a basis for a game, is the most milked franchise of all time, deal with it.

Took the liberty of some minor corrections for ya there.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Dont mean to insult the site, but vgchartz is never right with software and hardware guesses. They were a million overtracked for pokemon x and y and GTA V for christ sakes