By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is completely out of touch with reality.

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
ninetailschris said:

Not going to lie him trying to compare great movies to those game in the story department really hurt his point.

last of us is only considered good because on average all video game stories are sub-par. Last of Us wouldn't get a 70 on metacritic in the movie department.

Of course. Because you say so. As usual. ¬_¬

The story in The Last of Us isn't the most original of all time. Not unlike most stories in the movie industry in recent years. Its storytelling on the other hand, holds its own very well against even the best from the movie industry. 

I'd have to strongly disagree.

For a game, TLOU has stellar storytelling. But next to the likes of Citizen Kane, or Schindler's List? Not even the same ballpark.

Those 2 movies are a borefest to me, but they are indeed praised quite a lot left and right. If anything, you're bringing the exceptions to the discussion, not the rules.

I could name hundreds of movies with better storytelling than TLOU. That's not a knock on LTOU, just a reflection of the vast gulf between gaming and cinema in terms of storytelling.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

THats a bunch of crap and you know it. LMAO your not even trying. PS4 AND Xbone had much better launches than Wii U. They cant even keep these systems on the shelves. THe preorder numbers speak for themselves, theres like one or two Wii U games in the charts. Unless you have some other reason why people are rushing out to buy these systems im going to call BS

dynamic environments? you mean being launched into the background? that doesnt change anything you just went from one platform to another, hell you barely have any control with the barrel parts.

It's not crap. Ryse, Killzone et al are not exactly being held up as instant classics. Your argument was we should expect better games than the pre-existing all-time greats of the genre before we buy. Where are the PS4/Xbone games that are the new absolute best in history within their genre?

No, I mean the way the environment shifts, breaks apart, morphs as you travel through it. The SNES games did not have this. It changes things significantly..

Please the systems JUST came out. We already know that launch games are not going to be great, and no im not expecting them to be better but that cant be noticible worst and thats the vibe im getting from NSMB series, so why waste my money?

No it doesnt, thats more of an aesthitic thing and simply moving platforms around that has been done in numerous games before. Its not like the player has direct control over those elements.

Your argument that only the best games in a genre are worth buying doesn't make sense though; that restricts buyers to about 30 games EVER.

And the breaking, shifting levels are absolutely not just aesthetic as it is the traversible parts that transform, and very often in response to the player's movement and interaction.

No that was never my argument, you are trying to put words in my month. My argument was about the 2d Mario SERIES not the whole damn genre that makes little sense as not every game in the genre plays the same. Sonic is different from Rayman from LBP from Kirby and so on.  The NSMB series is not as good as the older Mario games which is why i skipped them. THere is no point for me to buy new games in a SERIES when said games are getting worst. Its no different than someone skipping say COD.

But since World and Bros 3 are still among the genre's absolute best, a game can fall short of them and still be an excellent game well worth playing.

You keep trying to throw genre in their and missing the point. Sonic is within the same genre but not the same series. So even if its not as good as Mario 3 it is different enough to be worth the play. I cant say the same for the NSMB series because it is in the same series so essentially you are playing a lesser version of a game youve already played. Now that doesnt make it bad, there still good. But to each their own. IMHO if i know its at least not going to be close or at the very least try to be different then they are not worth playing. ANother example Mario Land 2 is not as good as Mario 3 either, but it was so different in tone, aesthitics, worlds items, etc. that IMHO it was worth playing becasue it still kept the core Mario element while still doing its own thing.

oniyide said:

You keep trying to throw genre in their and missing the point. Sonic is within the same genre but not the same series. So even if its not as good as Mario 3 it is different enough to be worth the play. I cant say the same for the NSMB series because it is in the same series so essentially you are playing a lesser version of a game youve already played. Now that doesnt make it bad, there still good. But to each their own. IMHO if i know its at least not going to be close or at the very least try to be different then they are not worth playing. ANother example Mario Land 2 is not as good as Mario 3 either, but it was so different in tone, aesthitics, worlds items, etc. that IMHO it was worth playing becasue it still kept the core Mario element while still doing its own thing.

Well, NSMBU doesn't quite have the same mechanics, aesthetics, etc as World and Bros 3, (it ertainly doesn't handle the same) but like you say, to each their own.

curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
ninetailschris said:

Not going to lie him trying to compare great movies to those game in the story department really hurt his point.

last of us is only considered good because on average all video game stories are sub-par. Last of Us wouldn't get a 70 on metacritic in the movie department.

The story in The Last of Us isn't the most original of all time. Not unlike most stories in the movie industry in recent years. Its storytelling on the other hand, holds its own very well against even the best from the movie industry. 

For a game, TLOU has stellar storytelling. But next to the likes of Citizen Kane, or Schindler's List? Not even the same ballpark.

Those 2 movies are a borefest to me, but they are indeed praised quite a lot left and right. If anything, you're bringing the exceptions to the discussion, not the rules.

I could name hundreds of movies with better storytelling than TLOU. That's not a knock on LTOU, just a reflection of the vast gulf between gaming and cinema in terms of storytelling.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. The Last of Us is the first game I've ever played that managed to get things right when it comes to mature storytelling.
It uses everything that videogame allows to blend everything in a cohesive manner. Story isn't only told through cut-scenes. It's everywhere, in the action, the in-gamaplay comversation and events, cut-scenes, music, everywhere. And all the way till the end, it makes you think, wonder, and gives one hell of an emotional ride.

Sorry, but again, we'll have to agree to disagree on this. Maybe I'm the one oddball who isn't attached to the overly praised relics from the 40s and other greats from the movie industry as if things hadn't progressed since then... But that's the way I see it.

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:

We'll have to agree to disagree here. The Last of Us is the first game I've ever played that managed to get things right when it comes to mature storytelling.
It uses everything that videogame allows to blend everything in a cohesive manner. Story isn't only told through cut-scenes. It's everywhere, in the action, the in-gamaplay comversation and events, cut-scenes, music, everywhere. And all the way till the end, it makes you think, wonder, and gives one hell of an emotional ride.

Sorry, but again, we'll have to agree to disagree on this. Maybe I'm the one oddball who isn't attached to the overly praised relics from the 40s and other greats from the movie industry as if things hadn't progressed since then... But that's the way I see it.

Fair enough, to each their own.

Around the Network
ICStats said:
Nem said:

Nah, a review score doesn't make a game superior to all other games.  For example to someone who likes driving games Forza, or Need For Speed Rivals, will do the job more nicely than any of Nintendo's top rated games.

Then what entitles them to say Nintendo is "out of touch with reality"? When in the end its up to personal preferance.

Majority rule.

Sadly while Wii U is shining in platformers, it is lacking in other core genres like sports, driving, shoters and action adventure.  It's also mostly ports from last gen but generally without improvement.

Honestly I want SM3DW, but that's about it for now, so I keep looking for more reasons to get a Wii U.  Cranky Kong is not the one.  X might be the one.

So, if the majority says we jump down a well, we all should cause its the "in touch" thing to do.

When majority applies, individuality disappears. Again its contradictory in essence. It boils down to peer pressure. Its not the games, its wether its deemed acceptable by the society you live in. The individuality is in not caving in to it and choose what you choose because its what you want. Wether its Wii U, PS4 or X1. The dumb part is when people try to tell you what to do in an atempt to legitimate their choice and have social acceptance while trying to chase out the others choices. In short, a plea for acceptance by rejection of other options.

Society... its always the same. The invisible and often irrational laws that bind us.

Nem said:
ICStats said:
Nem said:

Nah, a review score doesn't make a game superior to all other games.  For example to someone who likes driving games Forza, or Need For Speed Rivals, will do the job more nicely than any of Nintendo's top rated games.

Then what entitles them to say Nintendo is "out of touch with reality"? When in the end its up to personal preferance.

Majority rule.

Sadly while Wii U is shining in platformers, it is lacking in other core genres like sports, driving, shoters and action adventure.  It's also mostly ports from last gen but generally without improvement.

Honestly I want SM3DW, but that's about it for now, so I keep looking for more reasons to get a Wii U.  Cranky Kong is not the one.  X might be the one.

So, if the majority says we jump down a well, we all should cause its the "in touch" thing to do.

When majority applies, individuality disappears. Again it contradictory in essence. It boils down to peer pressure. Its not the games, its wether its deemed acceptable by the society you live in. The individuality is in not caving in to it and choose what you choose because its what you want. Wether its Wii U, PS4 or X1. The dumb part is when people try to tell you what to do in an atempt to legitimate their choice and have social acceptance while trying to chase out the others choices. In short, a plea for acceptance by rejection of other options.

Society... its always the same. The invisible and often irrational laws that bind us.

That's probably the smartest thing I've read in recent weeks on VGC. Thanks.

green_sky said:
Turkish said:

Geoff himself said yesterday 4 million people were watching while Nintendo Direct streams hover around ~50k viewers, it was a bit more during E3 but then again it was E3.

Bahahah. You've got be kidding me. If they got 4 million concurrent people watching, Spike would have made these their oscars. 

So what you're trying to say is that Nintendo Direct streams have more viewers than a show which is more popular and got shown on tv. Bahahahaha keep believing that.

ninetailschris said:
curl-6 said:
EdHieron said:

Some are but definitely not all or even most.  And even films and books that are considered today to be child friendly were considered edgy and adult in their day eg.  Universal's Classic Horror Movies used to make grown women flee the theater in terror when Bela Lugosi first appeared on the screen or the atheistic books of Mary Shelley, Jules Verne, or H. G. Welles.  On the other hand in their entire library of games Nintendo dosn't have anything that they promote heavily that wouldn't be considered child friendly.

No.  They're really not. The stories and themes in Half-Life,  Fallout 3 and The works of Suda 51 and Hideo Kojima can hold their ground with edgy and adult graphic novels like Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" and Alan Moore's "Watchmen".  The "Tomb Raider" and "Uncharted" games can hold their ground as adult and edgy works with the greatest adventure novels of Michael Crichton and Talbot Mundy, "Alan Wake," "The Last of Us", and "Bioshock" can hold their own with the edgiest and more adult horror novels like those of Stephen King and Clive Barker, and the stories in Grand Theft Auto games are certainly comparable to those in the most adult and edgiest crime fiction ie. the tale of Nico Bellic is certainly comparable to that in the film "Eastern Promises."  

Films like Wizard of Oz, Toy Story, Spirited Away, Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King are no less brilliant for being family friendly.

And with the exception of Bioshock, those games would be laughed at if they were films or literature.

But the bottom line is, gaming isn't film or literature. Nor should it be. Its strength is its differences, not its similarities, to those mediums. When developers  try to be like movies, they diminish what makes gaming unique and great.

Like I said it can crtainly hold its own with the Best Stephen King storis ( and he won the National Book Award ) and probably has a much more complex and mature storyline than most of the movies you see on the SyFy Channel on the weekends. 

Metallicube said:

Yeah, cause we haven't heard this EXACT SAME "hardcore" talking point 2114234435 times.. Do you guys really think you're being original/smart with these arguements? I could litterally prove every one of these points wrong, but you know what? Fuck it. 8 years of tearing this stupid argument to pieces over and over again is enough.

I need to learn to just let it go and let the hardcore believe their bullshit. I'm just burnt out.. I think I'll just play some NSMB U instead.

Calm down, there is no need to be aggressive over a simple argument. Wii sold like crazy and lost steam mid-way exactly when phones grabbed the casuals. Of course it was a casual oriented console, it even doesn't come with a regular controller. Besides Nintendo games, it only got casual games, shovelware and film adaptations (please, don't list the few exceptions, it can't be compared with the number of titles on PS360). That's why Wii U isn't selling, it's Wii's fault not Wii U. They abandoned the market that could buy their products and tried a new one. But then Apple and Google stole it. If they had a hardcore 40M base on the Wii, Wii U would sell well with those guys upgrading (and forget PS4/One. If that hardcore base existed and bought Wii without caring for the graphics on PS360, they would grab Wii Us without caring for PS4 and One).