By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is completely out of touch with reality.

ICStats said:
Nem said:
ICStats said:
Nem said:

Nah, a review score doesn't make a game superior to all other games.  For example to someone who likes driving games Forza, or Need For Speed Rivals, will do the job more nicely than any of Nintendo's top rated games.

Then what entitles them to say Nintendo is "out of touch with reality"? When in the end its up to personal preferance.

Majority rule.

Sadly while Wii U is shining in platformers, it is lacking in other core genres like sports, driving, shoters and action adventure.  It's also mostly ports from last gen but generally without improvement.

Honestly I want SM3DW, but that's about it for now, so I keep looking for more reasons to get a Wii U.  Cranky Kong is not the one.  X might be the one.

So, if the majority says we jump down a well, we all should cause its the "in touch" thing to do.

When majority applies, individuality disappears. Again its contradictory in essence. It boils down to peer pressure. Its not the games, its wether its deemed acceptable by the society you live in. The individuality is in not caving in to it and choose what you choose because its what you want. Wether its Wii U, PS4 or X1. The dumb part is when people try to tell you what to do in an atempt to legitimate their choice and have social acceptance while trying to chase out the others choices. In short, a plea for acceptance by rejection of other options.

Society... its always the same. The invisible and often irrational laws that bind us.

You're being over dramatic.  1st nobody is telling you what to do.  2nd if a business doesn't make products that catch on with consumers, it's not the consumer's fault.  Blaming consumers is really in touch (roll eyes).

Arguably part of the rise of PlayStation was thanks to the breadth of games.  Platforming, fighting, action, role playing, sports, rhythm, casual, social, cartoony and realistc, etc.  More people got into gaming because more tastes were covered.  Then Xbox added more FPS and brought in more gamers to consoles that would otherwise be on PC.

There's nothing wrong with making a product that targets a niche - just don't try to make it look like more than what it is.

Personally I play games from most genres, so I like a console that represents them all well.  PS4 still has just a few titles, but the potential is clearly there.  Pretty much all the developers that aren't under contract to make exclusives for other platforms are signed on and developing for PS4.  Most of them have written off the Wii U, so a lot of the potential is not there.

Here is your problem. Each system has it's market. Platformers don't sell no where near nintendo a or even mircosoft on Sony platform.

ninetendo tends to sell best when platformers, casual, and action-adventure games. Horrible at shooters.

sony are shooters,rpg, jrpg. Horrible at casual.

mircosoft shooters, adventure, and somewhat casual games. Not good at jrpg.

making games for every genre has never worked. As much as Sony tried with platforms most have bombed. Just like there desire to get that casual market.

ninetendo fault was lack of games to support the fan base they sell best to. Wii sports U and mario U at launch would have been killer. But they still would have problems because of the name.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Around the Network
ICStats said:
Nem said:

But, they are. Look at this thread. If i like Nintendo games and nintendo consoles im "out of touch" with reality. Thats what this thread is saying. What makes you think that the consumers on group 1 are more legitimate than the consumers on group 2? Yes, there it is again rearing its ugly head. :P

Nah, I thought people were talking about "Nintendo" being in touch with reality, not about Nintendo players being in touch.  There's a difference :P

I'd say they're kind of out of touch with the market as a whole, and a little bit even with their own fans.  Haven't you been disappointed at all?

Isnt that the same? If you are satisfied with the situation, then you arent in touch with reality either.

Suprisingly, im not a Nintendo fan. The GC was the only Nintendo home console i bought. I do find the Wii U interesting despite all the hate though. I dont see all the doom and gloom. I see some interesting games and i see some uninteresting games. Personally i still need one or two more games i'd like to have like F-zero and the Zelda U game to please me with its style. Presently i only see X as a game i'd like to have. Wich is more interesting exclusives than i see on the PS4 and X1 atm, mind you.

ninetailschris said:
ICStats said:

You're being over dramatic.  1st nobody is telling you what to do.  2nd if a business doesn't make products that catch on with consumers, it's not the consumer's fault.  Blaming consumers is really in touch (roll eyes).

Arguably part of the rise of PlayStation was thanks to the breadth of games.  Platforming, fighting, action, role playing, sports, rhythm, casual, social, cartoony and realistc, etc.  More people got into gaming because more tastes were covered.  Then Xbox added more FPS and brought in more gamers to consoles that would otherwise be on PC.

There's nothing wrong with making a product that targets a niche - just don't try to make it look like more than what it is.

Personally I play games from most genres, so I like a console that represents them all well.  PS4 still has just a few titles, but the potential is clearly there.  Pretty much all the developers that aren't under contract to make exclusives for other platforms are signed on and developing for PS4.  Most of them have written off the Wii U, so a lot of the potential is not there.

Here is your problem. Each system has it's market. Platformers don't sell no where near nintendo a or even mircosoft on Sony platform.

ninetendo tends to sell best when platformers, casual, and action-adventure games. Horrible at shooters.

making games for every genre has never worked. As much as Sony tried with platforms most have bombed. Just like there desire to get that casual market.

ninetendo fault was lack of games to support the fan base they sell best to. Wii sports U and mario U at launch would have been killer. But they still would have problems because of the name.

I don't know if Sony bombed at casual games.  PS2 casual games had a lot of success in Europe.  These days casual is equated to motion controls, which Nintendo & MS have been more successful with - but right now that's not all that successful either.  Let's see what will be the next casual boom.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
ninetailschris said:
ICStats said:

I don't know if Sony bombed at casual games.  PS2 casual games had a lot of success in Europe.  These days casual is equated to motion controls, which Nintendo & MS have been more successful with - but right now that's not all that successful either.  Let's see what will be the next casual boom.

Umm casual games like just dance all the way up to Lego. They sell better on other systems beside ps3.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Nem said:

But, they are. Look at this thread. If i like Nintendo games and nintendo consoles im "out of touch" with reality. Thats what this thread is saying. What makes you think that the consumers on group 1 are more legitimate than the consumers on group 2? Yes, there it is again rearing its ugly head. :P

No I did not.

I said Nintendo was out of touch with reality as it was showing the wrong game to that audience.

How many tampon commercials do you see on TV during an NFL game? Zero.

How many hardcare blood fest shooter game commercials do you see on Lifetime network? Zero.

Every situation has a target audience. DKCTF is not appropriate for the VGX target audience. Nintendo has a better, more core oriented set of exclusives coming this year. It has Bayonetta 2 (maybe even port of orig), Super Smash 4 (new trailer would have been great), hell i'd even argue Mario Kart would be a better fit if shown in a more competitive manner.

I love Nintendo's games. I will buy all those I just mentioned plus DKCTF and others. I don't want them to make the next Halo or GTA. I want them to continue to make their "kiddie" games because they are simply better than all the same rehashed crap everyone else does. Even with the same cast, Nintendo makes bigger changes to their games each and every iteration.

But you have to know your audience and appropriately address that audience if you want to realize the potential benefit. That is where they failed to keep in touch with the reality of the show they were presenting.

Around the Network
Nem said:
ICStats said:
Nem said:

Nah, I thought people were talking about "Nintendo" being in touch with reality, not about Nintendo players being in touch.  There's a difference :P

I'd say they're kind of out of touch with the market as a whole, and a little bit even with their own fans.  Haven't you been disappointed at all?

Isnt that the same? If you are satisfied with the situation, then you arent in touch with reality either.

Suprisingly, im not a Nintendo fan. The GC was the only Nintendo home console i bought. I do find the Wii U interesting despite all the hate though. I dont see all the doom and gloom. I see some interesting games and i see some uninteresting games. Personally i still need one or two more games i'd like to have like F-zero and the Zelda U game to please me with its style. Presently i only see X as a game i'd like to have. Wich is more interesting exclusives than i see on the PS4 and X1 atm, mind you.

I've owned N64, GC and Wii.  X is interesting to me too.

The problem is the Wii U might do a Dreamcast.  (I had a Dreamcast too by the way)

My 8th gen collection

Turkish said:
green_sky said:
Turkish said:
green_sky said:
Turkish said:

Geoff himself said yesterday 4 million people were watching while Nintendo Direct streams hover around ~50k viewers, it was a bit more during E3 but then again it was E3.

Bahahah. You've got be kidding me. If they got 4 million concurrent people watching, Spike would have made these their oscars. 

So what you're trying to say is that Nintendo Direct streams have more viewers than a show which is more popular and got shown on tv. Bahahahaha keep believing that.

You have reading comprehension fail and that's just the beggining. I didn't once mention Nintendo Direct as i was refuting your VGX statement and number. Why i even bother...

Thats not the point I was making though, it seems you have reading comprehension fail, my claim is that VGX is much bigger than any nintendo direct, I dont give a fuck how many viewers vgx had, its much bigger than nintendos stream which only caters to nintendo fans while vgx caters to the entire gaming world. if you're only gonna laugh at the claim that vgx has 4 million viewers then go ahead no one is stopping you, you missed the point spectacularly. Is that the only reason you replied to me? "ahahaha Turkish actually believes vgx had so many viewers LMAO". Ha, ha, ha... ? So funny! Yawn. Dont ever reply to me if you dont even know what I'm talking about and I have no time to educate you.

You're treading on very thin ice here. Do not be so contemptuous of others.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

ICStats said:
Nem said:
ICStats said:
Nem said:

I've owned N64, GC and Wii.  X is interesting to me too.

The problem is the Wii U might do a Dreamcast.  (I had a Dreamcast too by the way)

Oh i would hope it does. The Dreamcast was an amazing system.

I dont think it will though. Nintendo would invalidate any further home systems they would try to release.

.. or maybe reality is just out of touch with Nintendo.

superchunk said:
Nem said:

No I did not.

I said Nintendo was out of touch with reality as it was showing the wrong game to that audience.

How many tampon commercials do you see on TV during an NFL game? Zero.

How many hardcare blood fest shooter game commercials do you see on Lifetime network? Zero.

Every situation has a target audience. DKCTF is not appropriate for the VGX target audience. Nintendo has a better, more core oriented set of exclusives coming this year. It has Bayonetta 2 (maybe even port of orig), Super Smash 4 (new trailer would have been great), hell i'd even argue Mario Kart would be a better fit if shown in a more competitive manner.

I love Nintendo's games. I will buy all those I just mentioned plus DKCTF and others. I don't want them to make the next Halo or GTA. I want them to continue to make their "kiddie" games because they are simply better than all the same rehashed crap everyone else does. Even with the same cast, Nintendo makes bigger changes to their games each and every iteration.

But you have to know your audience and appropriately address that audience if you want to realize the potential benefit. That is where they failed to keep in touch with the reality of the show they were presenting.

Hmm... i see you point. Beeing a Marketeer that is very much the case. You have to know who to talk to and how to, but the Wii U was Nintendo's effort to return to the core gamer. It makes some sense to try and promote the system on a hardcore gamer show. Obviously, the choice of games was poor. Had they revealed a Metroid, we would all be playing a different tune. So, i would blame the message here. It might also be that Reggie wanted to reveal something, but wasnt allowed. He did have the metroid pin. That seemed like a hint at something.