By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry vs. AC4 PS3/360/WiiU/PS4/XB1/PC

superchunk said:
Rol you win.

I'm done with nearly all 3rd parties.

AC3 I ignored some of the performance stuff as it was easily attributed to rushed porting to make Wii U launch. But this game has had plenty of time to polish a game that is on more powerful hardware and simply should not have these issues.

I recently bought Rayman Legends and its a great experience all around. These will be the only 3rd party games I go after from here on out. It has to be a game that shows some basic effort on Wii U vs straight unoptimized crap from last-gen engine.

AC4 should be on the same engine as PS4/Xbone to correctly handle the basic architecture but at lower resolution. (ps4 1080, xbone 900, wiiu 600~720) That would be acceptable and would have paved way for better end result. This force fitting of a PS360 engine on completely different architectural types is just lazy cost cutting measures. I mean Ubisoft is already using their better engine on Watch_Dogs according to their own information. No reason to not do so here.

I wasn't going to buy AC4 anyways due to the actual game of AC3 (not any Wii U version issues), but now I'm really going to pay attention to Watch_Dogs final product. It better be on next-gen engine.

Rayman Legends looks great on every platform. AC4 is an open world game.

Ubisoft could probably do better with the WiiU version...but to blame them for hardware decisions made by Nintendo is overly harsh.

Atleast Ubisoft gives Nintendo full support. Which is much better than other 3rd parties.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Rol you win.

AC3 I ignored some of the performance stuff as it was easily attributed to rushed porting to make Wii U launch. But this game has had plenty of time to polish a game that is on more powerful hardware and simply should not have these issues.

I recently bought Rayman Legends and its a great experience all around. These will be the only 3rd party games I go after from here on out. It has to be a game that shows some basic effort on Wii U vs straight unoptimized crap from last-gen engine.

AC4 should be on the same engine as PS4/Xbone to correctly handle the basic architecture but at lower resolution. (ps4 1080, xbone 900, wiiu 600~720) That would be acceptable and would have paved way for better end result. This force fitting of a PS360 engine on completely different architectural types is just lazy cost cutting measures. I mean Ubisoft is already using their better engine on Watch_Dogs according to their own information. No reason to not do so here.

I wasn't going to buy AC4 anyways due to the actual game of AC3 (not any Wii U version issues), but now I'm really going to pay attention to Watch_Dogs final product. It better be on next-gen engine.

lolwut. You don't buy an Assasin's Creed game and expect it to be polished. There's yet to be a polished entry in the series.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
superchunk said:
Rol you win.

lolwut. You don't buy an Assasin's Creed gmae and expect polished. There's yet to be a polished entry in the series.

Brotherhood was probably the most polished imo

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

I imagine that the reason why would be that the Wii U version was an afterthought, and the others were where they actually were putting their effort into it. We know the Wii U is capable of more, but I would think that Ubisoft didn't want to spend the extra money into the Wii U version if it wouldn't sell that well anyway.

bananaking21 said:
another case where the PS4 version of a game runs and looks better on the PS4, now who would have guessed that was going to happen?

It is because of the lazy developers. When the SDK's mature Xbone will probably be the leading console.

Around the Network
michael_stutzer said:
bananaking21 said:
another case where the PS4 version of a game runs and looks better on the PS4, now who would have guessed that was going to happen?

It is because of the lazy developers. When the SDK's mature Xbone will probably be the leading console.

LOL, no.

Shinobi-san said:

Ubisoft could probably do better with the WiiU version...but to blame them for hardware decisions made by Nintendo is overly harsh.

Atleast Ubisoft gives Nintendo full support. Which is much better than other 3rd parties.

This isn't the hardware, nor was AC3 or other port issues.

This is the fact that they are using a engine made for completely different architectural types and force-fitting it on a more modern setup.

All current gen consoles use GPGPUs as their main powerhouse with smaller OOO CPUs and more streamlined RAM.

Last gen consoles used powerful CPUs and ordinary GPUs with disconnected RAM.

That is polar opposites.

Ubisoft took their rushed and nonoptimed AC3 engine and simply resused it for AC4. They should have taken their new engine for PS4Xbone and downported to Wii U. Would have cost a little more, but would have made a far better game. This is what they are reportidly doing for Watch_Dogs. Hopefully it pays off with a good game as I am looking forward to this one.

Need for Speed and Pikmin3 prove if you dedicate proper resources you can make a good port.
Mario3DWorld proves it can handle things not possible on PS360. As I'm sure 2014 Nintendo games will continue to show.

This was simply a super cost cutting measure likely due to low sales of Wii U in general. But I don't think the cost of using the new engine would likley have been that much greater than reusing the known defective engine.

Sal.Paradise said:

Don't worry everyone, I have the pics. 

I believe they were going for a Skyward Sword-like art filter for Nintendo fans on the Wii U version :P

..can't think up a joke for the XB1 version.

PS4 is really towering the rest with the PC version. The refined AA is really similar to the 4xMSAA on the PC. I guess the way it smooth edges it must be some morphological AA, like a derivative of MLAA or SMAA.

Too bad the X1 didn't get the same advanced AA (DF noticed it). It has the same AA as old gen level hardware (PS360, Wii U). Or even no AA at all it seems...

Remember of the Ubisoft leaks months ago? They were perfectly spot on.

PS4: 1080p30fps rock solid, (rumors said roughlty first build with no hands/eyes closed/easy as pie)

X1:   900p30fps  (rumor was 900p20fps-ish) with framerate drops in some levels. The devs must have optimized the X1 code cause now it got mainly 30fps locked in fairness.

What bitterness from DF at some point, I even laughed sometimes with stuff like (from memory):

"PC game is cheaper than on PS4"

"PS4 is only second behind PC"

"Buy a new GPU card, it is not so expensive!"

"You'll get 60fps from your new GPU card!"

"You won't need a Titan card to run this game!"

"PS4 version is anyway not even at next gen level!"

I didn't know Digital foundry was sponsored by the PC market!! When at the same time they did dare to tell us that a 900p(16fps-26fps) game was the definition of next gen... Pathetic.

I don't know why they keep settling for awful framerates on the WiiU versions.

That horrible sharpening / contrast filter has popped up in the Xbox One version again. Wonder what that's all about.

superchunk said:
Shinobi-san said:

This isn't the hardware, nor was AC3 or other port issues.

This is the fact that they are using a engine made for completely different architectural types and force-fitting it on a more modern setup.

All current gen consoles use GPGPUs as their main powerhouse with smaller OOO CPUs and more streamlined RAM.

Last gen consoles used powerful CPUs and ordinary GPUs with disconnected RAM.

That is polar opposites.

Ubisoft took their rushed and nonoptimed AC3 engine and simply resused it for AC4. They should have taken their new engine for PS4Xbone and downported to Wii U. Would have cost a little more, but would have made a far better game. This is what they are reportidly doing for Watch_Dogs. Hopefully it pays off with a good game as I am looking forward to this one.

Need for Speed and Pikmin3 prove if you dedicate proper resources you can make a good port.
Mario3DWorld proves it can handle things not possible on PS360. As I'm sure 2014 Nintendo games will continue to show.

This was simply a super cost cutting measure likely due to low sales of Wii U in general. But I don't think the cost of using the new engine would likley have been that much greater than reusing the known defective engine.

mario 3d world doesn't prove anything,  it's not doing any thing above 360/ps3. I  also don't understand how you want ubi to port the xbone/ps4 versions to wii u, when wii u can't even run the currentgen versions. the sad reality is the hardware is only slightly better then current gen and in some ways worse