By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft claims Xbox One sold out worldwide; Retailers beg to differ

if they sold out for 99% world wide, that means some retailers indeed have units available!

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

then again FUCK logic

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

theprof00 said:
walsufnir said:
theprof00 said:

You are using basic demand formula. Percentage of price increase is also relative to demand.

But only in a limited way. Take a look again to the example I gave you with a more expensive PS4. And there is no "formula", you are making the percentage point way too important to strengthen your message which doesn't make it more true.

have you taken economics?

EDIT: Difference in price variation literally means that demand is higher. I would even argue that ps4 price would be higher! But the substitue item is priced at 600. This, according to price elasticity of demand, means that at 600$ the price becomes inelastic, and demand drops.

You've got your terminology all wrong.

Price Elasticity of demand is a formula meant to be used for a single product, to see if it's prices are elastic.  (Which they pretty much never are.)

Additionally, for the formula you need to have number sold.   

That there is higher demand on secondary sites does suggest there is more demand though.  

HOWEVER, there are MANY caveats... 

1) Supply for one, since more supply is going to make the multiplier lower.  I haven't been paying attention to sales, and don't plan to until supply constraints are over, so i don't know which one has sold more.  One factor that may affect this though is that the Xone has launched in less territories correct?

So demand from those countries might end up lower due to supply being in those countries only.   If you split up 1,000 consoles between Japan in the US.   Japan demand is going to be higher then if you put all 1,000 in Japan. 

2)Since we're talking about internet pricing, a big one is internet savy of the consumer bases.

3) Inherent price ceiling - Both are at 600+ maybe that's just what the price ceiling is.    No matter how in demand gum is, at some point it's got an absolute cap on the secondary market.  This holds true for all items.

4) Other demographic differences.  Enthusiasm is a big part of it.  If you had two equal groups, but one had a more "extreme" base, or even a richer base, that would effect the price difference.

Rychussnik said:
theprof00 said:
Hmm I live in Boston, I should grab one and sell it on the ebay

you live in boston? nice, i live in brockton, GO PATS!!!

on topic: i think MS really allocated a lot of stock for NA, and mosot of the ones shipped here probably did sell out. Europe might be a different story though.

rych we're going to hang out at PAX, I hope you know that.

Anyways, found out at the BB that they're getting a shipment Sunday, 11am, so I need to be there when doors open lol.

kirby007 said:
if they sold out for 99% world wide, that means some retailers indeed have units available!

Then why don't they just say that? They know what retailers they shipped their consoles to. I mean.....they are the ones that shipped them. Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc report their numbers back to MS, so MS knows who has available units.

Just say it's sold out at Walmart, Gamestop, Best Buy, etc. if that's where it's sold out. Don't feign unavailability of the console by being vague. If there are retailers that do have units, how about spilling the beans so consumers can buy them. Maybe then they can be open and honest when they say "we're sold out worldwide".

And no, I don't mean that they demand the numbers from each and every single retail store. But if a store has 5 or 6 units in stock, it will show up when you search for it online (yea, it may be for that one store, but if that one store is a Walmart, for example, and they post online that 5 or 6 are available, it was show up as "Available at Walmart.com" if only for a few minutes.)

Then they can say "it's sold out at X, Y, and Z, but if you check out A, B, or C you may find some".

Around the Network

The question is, if PS4 was in stock, how many more sales would that generate?

MS accuratly predicted how well XBO would do, and managed to ship just enough to supply the demand. Maybe some sales were obtained from people wanting a PS4, only to find it sold out, but still.

Unless we know how well PS4 could have done, with stock, this article means nothing. Maybe PS4 just barely managed to sell the stock, and with another shipment, we would find PS4's on shelves. Or maybe PS4 would continue to sell out, even if inventory was twice as high.

----

However I hope PS4 blows XBO out of the water, my 360 broke so many times and MS customer service was just terrible. Sick of MS, sticking to quality Japanese products from now on.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

theprof00 said:
Rychussnik said:
theprof00 said:

on topic: i think MS really allocated a lot of stock for NA, and mosot of the ones shipped here probably did sell out. Europe might be a different story though.

Anyways, found out at the BB that they're getting a shipment Sunday, 11am, so I need to be there when doors open lol.

lol, when is pax?

Me gusta queso 

psn id: rychussnik

Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
walsufnir said:
theprof00 said:

You are using basic demand formula. Percentage of price increase is also relative to demand.

But only in a limited way. Take a look again to the example I gave you with a more expensive PS4. And there is no "formula", you are making the percentage point way too important to strengthen your message which doesn't make it more true.

have you taken economics?

EDIT: Difference in price variation literally means that demand is higher. I would even argue that ps4 price would be higher! But the substitue item is priced at 600. This, according to price elasticity of demand, means that at 600$ the price becomes inelastic, and demand drops.

You've got your terminology all wrong.

Price Elasticity of demand is a formula meant to be used for a single product, to see if it's prices are elastic.  (Which they pretty much never are.)

Additionally, for the formula you need to have number sold.   

That there is higher demand on secondary sites does suggest there is more demand though.  

HOWEVER, there are MANY caveats... 

1) Supply for one, since more supply is going to make the multiplier lower.  I haven't been paying attention to sales, and don't plan to until supply constraints are over, so i don't know which one has sold more.  One factor that may affect this though is that the Xone has launched in less territories correct?

So demand from those countries might end up lower due to supply being in those countries only.   If you split up 1,000 consoles between Japan in the US.   Japan demand is going to be higher then if you put all 1,000 in Japan. 

2)Since we're talking about internet pricing, a big one is internet savy of the consumer bases.

3) Inherent price ceiling - Both are at 600+ maybe that's just what the price ceiling is.    No matter how in demand gum is, at some point it's got an absolute cap on the secondary market.  This holds true for all items.

4) Other demographic differences.  Enthusiasm is a big part of it.  If you had two equal groups, but one had a more "extreme" base, or even a richer base, that would effect the price difference.

yeah, I mentioned those caveats but using different words.
Price ceiling, I called purchasing power.....and

..Oops at least that's what I was going to post, but erased it because I just really did not appreciate his tone. But yeah, there are lots of unknown variables that affect demand. The point of issue though, is that percentage of price increase relative to another, is relative to demand. But thank you for your post, it's better than me explaining it. I should've just asked you to explain in the first place:D

Michael-5 said:

The question is, if PS4 was in stock, how many more sales would that generate?

MS accuratly predicted how well XBO would do, and managed to ship just enough to supply the demand. Maybe some sales were obtained from people wanting a PS4, only to find it sold out, but still.

Unless we know how well PS4 could have done, with stock, this article means nothing. Maybe PS4 just barely managed to sell the stock, and with another shipment, we would find PS4's on shelves. Or maybe PS4 would continue to sell out, even if inventory was twice as high.

----

However I hope PS4 blows XBO out of the water, my 360 broke so many times and MS customer service was just terrible. Sick of MS, sticking to quality Japanese products from now on.

As much as I've been reaming the XBone in this thread, I will say that I doubt you will have anywhere near the quality issues that 360 had if you bought an XBone. They rushed the 360 out in order to beat the PS3 to the market, because they wouldn't have stood a chance, had they released in 2006. But the XBone wasn't rushed, and you and I know that MS isn't trying to spend $1 billion to fix any issues, or incur anymore negative press (the press for XBone was negative even before the reveal, because we knew about DRM way before we first saw the console.)

Rychussnik said:
theprof00 said:
Rychussnik said:
theprof00 said:

lol, when is pax?

sometime around easter usually