By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft claims Xbox One sold out worldwide; Retailers beg to differ

Microsoft claims Xbox One sold out worldwide; Retailers beg to differ

6:18 PM, Dec 4, 2013   |    0  comments
Gamers line up indoors in anticipation of the midnight release of Microsoft's Xbox One home entertainment system.

Recently, Sony (maker of the PlayStation 4 video game console) announced that more than 2.1 million PS4 units have sold worldwide.

In response, Microsoft's Xbox VP Yusuf Mehdi told website Ars Technica that their Xbox One is "sold out at retailers around the world."

A quick over-the-phone check at a six randomly-selected retailers found that isn't quite the case.

"We have a Day One edition in stock," said Megan, who works at the Arden Way Toys-R-Us location in Sacramento.  "Actually, I just looked in our back room and we have two."

A quick phone call to GameStop yeilded a similar result.

"We have one in stock," said employee Joseph Justice of the Truxel Road location.  "It was just returned."

Likewise when contacting a Target store in Folsom, California.  While a store employee said he sold his store's last Xbox One earlier in the day, he was able to confirm that no fewer than two other Northern California Target locations had them in stock with the El Dorado Hills store showing eight units in stock and the store in Lincoln, California, with ten.

Only one retailer, Sears, was able to confirm being sold out.  Online retailers such as Rakuten.com (formerly Buy.com), for example, also show as being sold out of the console.

Smaller retailer, however, report having simply never received any shipments.

"We're a small business so we haven't been able to order any," stated Paul, an employee at a Sacramento-area Game N Trade.

Dimple Records, another small business that deals in new and used music and video game also confirms not receiving any as of yet.

"We might get some by the holidays and we might get some next year," a store employee said over the telephone.

Stock checks for PlayStation 4 came up empty every time.

Shortly after its launch November 22, Microsoft announced that more than 1 million Xbox One units were sold within the console's first 24 hours.  Since that date, however, no information from the company has been provided to update that number.

Microsoft's Xbox One retails for $499, which is $100 more than PlayStation 4 and $200 more than Nintendo's Wii U.

News10/KXTV

Source: http://www.news10.net/entertainment/gameguys/article/264786/243/Microsoft-claims-Xbox-One-sold-out-worldwide-Retailers-beg-to-differ

Around the Network

I mean, the author and people realise nothing is ever truly sold out right??? I don't know what metrics these companies use but all this anecdotal evidence is a joke.

It's pretty obvious they're all low on stock, only having 1 or 2 in stock. But again, anecdotal.

ms said that xbox ones are "sold out at retailers around the world," not "sold out at ALL retailers around the world."
besides, you ever think that this is just anecdotal evidence?

It's hard to belive that so many people are up in arms about ms's statement.  

Heck, even majornelson's website was updated to acknowledge that xbox one's are still in stock at some retailers, provide advice on how to find one, and states that retailers are replenished with xbox one stock on a weekly basis.  

its not as sold out as the ps4 but ps4 i dont think as much were made..

but lets me real Microsoft has been lying befour the console was out and they still are after about a few things its what they do.. its what all the companies do. just microsoft always gets caught... *caugh* playing watch dogs on ps4 and calling it xbox one gameplay *cough*

Around the Network
theleaguegame said:
its not as sold out as the ps4 but ps4 i dont think as much were made..

but lets me real Microsoft has been lying befour the console was out and they still are after about a few things its what they do.. its what all the companies do.

tell me, how on earth is ms lying when they say that xbox one units are "sold out at retailers around the world?"  

Do they say that xbox one units are sold out at all retailers?  No, they don't.  People who are getting upset over ms's statement just have poor comprehension skills. 

edit:  and that ps4 watchdogs thing- ubisoft was at fault on that one.  they confirmed that a while ago.  

Lot of spin in this article. Have a feeling a lot of it is made up. one part claims a small store never got units, then quotes an employee who never made that claim.

IF something really is so wrong, why resort to it in order to make it look like MS is the one doing it?

Looks pretty sold out to me. http://www.zoolert.com/videoconsoles/xbox-one-console/trackers/

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Seece said:

I mean, the author and people realise nothing is ever truly sold out right??? I don't know what metrics these companies use but all this anecdotal evidence is a joke.

It's pretty obvious they're all low on stock, only having 1 or 2 in stock. But again, anecdotal.

True. Here's some more anecdotal evidence:

What are you trying to achieve with this kind of threads? What are you trying to prove? Does this make you more secure?

Ex Graphics Whore.