By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Wii U's YTD numbers the worst ever for a main console?

Those numbers are...

Fine. Shortages 79 43.17%

Good enough 54 29.51%

Excelent 16 8.74%

That's very good 9 4.92%

Indeed, very good 21 11.48%

Total:179
shikamaru317 said:
benji232 said:
STRYKIE said:
softcoregamer82 said:
It's bad no matter how you slice it, but at least compared to the Jaguar, Saturn, Dreamcast, etc. Nintendo has some amazing IPs that can save it. Metroid U, Zelda U, Smash, and Mario Kart should do the trick. The key is getting these games out ASAP as things aren't going to improve on their own.

So did the Dreamcast. I'll admit that the Saturn library was a little too obscure however.

Sega's first party lineup is not even comparable to Nintendo'S first party lineup. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

Sega's first party lineup was quite good. If you look at attach rates instead of total copies sold it was amost as good as Nintendo's 1st party.

That argument is flawed in so many ways. By that logic, any company could make a random console, sell 10 systems and have an attach rate of 8 games per console and say that it's first party lineup is *almost* as good as Nintendo's first party titles. How many iconic characters does Sega have? Sonic? After that? Yea, not even remotely comparable to Mario, Dk, Luigi, Yoshi, Zelda, Smash bros, Kart, etc. Please do not ever compare Sega's first party lineup to Nintendo's, their not even close to being in the same league no matter how you try and spin it with the attach rate. 

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
retroking1981 said:
Does anyone actually have a source for Saturn and Dreamcast numbers?

They're the only 2 that might have done worse.

I'm only counting Nintendo, Sega, Sony and Microsoft though and excluding Mega CD, 32X and Virtual Boy for obvious reasons.

I couldn't find single year sales numbers for either. For Saturn, it was 7.86 million total by the end of fiscal 1996 (March 97), which is 28 months on sale in Japan, 23 months on sale in North America, and 21 months on sale in Europe. For Dreamcast, it was 2.6 million by October 2000, which was 23 months on sale in Japan, 13 months on sale in North America, and 12 months on sale in Europe.

Wait a minute, why are so many people saying that wiiU is selling worst then the DC then?

benji232 said:
shikamaru317 said:
retroking1981 said:

I'm only counting Nintendo, Sega, Sony and Microsoft though and excluding Mega CD, 32X and Virtual Boy for obvious reasons.

I couldn't find single year sales numbers for either. For Saturn, it was 7.86 million total by the end of fiscal 1996 (March 97), which is 28 months on sale in Japan, 23 months on sale in North America, and 21 months on sale in Europe. For Dreamcast, it was 2.6 million by October 2000, which was 23 months on sale in Japan, 13 months on sale in North America, and 12 months on sale in Europe.

Wait a minute, why are so many people saying that wiiU is selling worst then the DC then?

That could either be from Japan, or weekly sales in the first year? Not sure.

Seece said:
benji232 said:
shikamaru317 said:
retroking1981 said:

That could either be from Japan, or weekly sales in the first year? Not sure.

I guess that could be it, but then again, the wiiU still sold 1.8M YTD which is almost as much as 23 months of sale Japan, 13 months in NA and 12months in Europe. I am kinda confused by this. Perhaps these people were talking about Europe?

The Dreamcast comparison is based on NPD/US data, in which the Wii U is behind.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

The Dreamcast comparison is based on NPD/US data, in which the Wii U is behind.

Wow GC and DC had fantastic holidays!!!

Nope, totally read the chart wrong.

Nice poll. Damn shortages! :D

benji232 said:
STRYKIE said:
softcoregamer82 said:
It's bad no matter how you slice it, but at least compared to the Jaguar, Saturn, Dreamcast, etc. Nintendo has some amazing IPs that can save it. Metroid U, Zelda U, Smash, and Mario Kart should do the trick. The key is getting these games out ASAP as things aren't going to improve on their own.

So did the Dreamcast. I'll admit that the Saturn library was a little too obscure however.

Sega's first party lineup is not even comparable to Nintendo'S first party lineup. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

shikamaru317 said:
benji232 said:
shikamaru317 said:
benji232 said:
STRYKIE said:
softcoregamer82 said:

Sega's first party lineup was quite good. If you look at attach rates instead of total copies sold it was amost as good as Nintendo's 1st party.

That argument is flawed in so many ways. By that logic, any company could make a random console, sell 10 systems and have an attach rate of 8 games per console and say that it's first party lineup is *almost* as good as Nintendo's first party titles. How many iconic characters does Sega have? Sonic? After that? Yea, not even remotely comparable to Mario, Dk, Luigi, Yoshi, Zelda, Smash bros, Kart, etc. Please do not ever compare Sega's first party lineup to Nintendo's, their not even close to being in the same league no matter how you try and spin it with the attach rate. 

Sega had plenty of iconic characters, espeiclaly at the height of their popularity in the 4th gen, any Sega fan could have named several off the top of their head back in the 90's as well as most Nintendo fans, and most of those Sega fans and a few of those Nintendo fans likely still could name a few today. The only reason that more people remember Nintendo's iconic characters now is because Nintendo has actually had a major presence in the gaming market over the last 10 years, unlike Sega. 

That's not what I meant. I can agree that Sega did have a lot of great franchises. But none of them (with the exception of Sonic) ever came close to becoming as big (in terms of popularity and sales) as any of the big franchises of Nintendo.

STRYKIE said:
benji232 said:
STRYKIE said:
softcoregamer82 said:

It is pretty ironic how the video you just posted described perfectly your own post. Bring me sales numbers to prove me wrong instead of posting such an idiotic and useless post. I know for a fact you won't be able to bring any of them, because they simply don't exist! Name me 5 sega first party franchises that all sold comparable to 3D mario games, 2D mario games, Zelda, DK, Smash, Kart, etc. I beg you to prove me wrong instead of posting such an arrogant video.