By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Wii U's YTD numbers the worst ever for a main console?

Those numbers are...

Fine. Shortages 79 43.17%

Good enough 54 29.51%

Excelent 16 8.74%

That's very good 9 4.92%

Indeed, very good 21 11.48%

Total:179
Soundwave said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
Yup, it is the worst performing mainstream console to date.

It will also only get worse (look at what every major economist has said) due to increased competition, greater expectation from the gamers, and loss of momentum (though could say it didn't really have any...).

You're probably too young to remember the Sega Saturn. That was brutal. 

No, I remember it. 
However if you take into account how much the gaming market has grown, I would say the WiiU is far, far worse.

Around the Network

It's bad no matter how you slice it, but at least compared to the Jaguar, Saturn, Dreamcast, etc. Nintendo has some amazing IPs that can save it. Metroid U, Zelda U, Smash, and Mario Kart should do the trick. The key is getting these games out ASAP as things aren't going to improve on their own.

Haha... someone revealed as young.

Did you forget the CDi's, the 3DO's, the Jaguars, etc?

This actually reminds me back in the day when i was puzzled at the Jaguar and that controller of their. What the hell was that? What were they thinking about doing with all those buttons?!

Less than 3 million in a year is awful, even if it's not the worst of all time.

softcoregamer82 said:
It's bad no matter how you slice it, but at least compared to the Jaguar, Saturn, Dreamcast, etc. Nintendo has some amazing IPs that can save it. Metroid U, Zelda U, Smash, and Mario Kart should do the trick. The key is getting these games out ASAP as things aren't going to improve on their own.

So did the Dreamcast. I'll admit that the Saturn library was a little too obscure however.

Around the Network
STRYKIE said:
softcoregamer82 said:

So did the Dreamcast. I'll admit that the Saturn library was a little too obscure however.

Sega's first party lineup is not even comparable to Nintendo'S first party lineup. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

KylieDog said:
Shouldn't have gone for a Wii 2 and instead gone for a Super NES.

That's the 3DS, or at least it's what Nintendo is trying to do (A Link Between Worlds and Yoshi's New Island).

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I will always treasure my Amiga CD32....I'm probably the only person in the world that bought one! Awesome machine in its day...pre-dated the PS1 and was a far better piece of kit.

Does anyone actually have a source for Saturn and Dreamcast numbers?

They're the only 2 that might have done worse.

I'm only counting Nintendo, Sega, Sony and Microsoft though and excluding Mega CD, 32X and Virtual Boy for obvious reasons.

Were i to break down the Wii-U's success thus far into a math problem it would look a little something like this

Previous gens hardware dominance + 1 year head start + expanded gaming market=EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!