By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Wii U's YTD numbers the worst ever for a main console?

Those numbers are...

Fine. Shortages 79 43.17%

Good enough 54 29.51%

Excelent 16 8.74%

That's very good 9 4.92%

Indeed, very good 21 11.48%

Total:179
benji232 said:
STRYKIE said:
benji232 said:
STRYKIE said:
softcoregamer82 said:
It's bad no matter how you slice it, but at least compared to the Jaguar, Saturn, Dreamcast, etc. Nintendo has some amazing IPs that can save it. Metroid U, Zelda U, Smash, and Mario Kart should do the trick. The key is getting these games out ASAP as things aren't going to improve on their own.

It is pretty ironic how the video you just posted described perfectly your own post. Bring me sales numbers to prove me wrong instead of posting such an idiotic and useless post. I know for a fact you won't be able to bring any of them, because they simply don't exist! Name me 5 sega first party franchises that all sold comparable to 3D mario games, 2D mario games, Zelda, DK, Smash, Kart, etc. I beg you to prove me wrong instead of posting such an arrogant video.

Sonic. And I only need to say Sonic since it's evidence that a huge franchise may not suffice in keeping a platform afloat. The Dreamcast also had Soul Calibur 1, the most critically acclaimed game of that entire generation, wasn't enough to get the job done.

That being said, there is a franchise he brought up that you didn't mention, which is what provoked me to bring up the Dreamcast in the first place. 

Around the Network
STRYKIE said:
benji232 said:
STRYKIE said:
benji232 said:
STRYKIE said:
softcoregamer82 said:
It's bad no matter how you slice it, but at least compared to the Jaguar, Saturn, Dreamcast, etc. Nintendo has some amazing IPs that can save it. Metroid U, Zelda U, Smash, and Mario Kart should do the trick. The key is getting these games out ASAP as things aren't going to improve on their own.

It is pretty ironic how the video you just posted described perfectly your own post. Bring me sales numbers to prove me wrong instead of posting such an idiotic and useless post. I know for a fact you won't be able to bring any of them, because they simply don't exist! Name me 5 sega first party franchises that all sold comparable to 3D mario games, 2D mario games, Zelda, DK, Smash, Kart, etc. I beg you to prove me wrong instead of posting such an arrogant video.

Sonic. And I only need to say Sonic since it's evidence that a huge franchise may not suffice in keeping a platform afloat. The Dreamcast also had Soul Calibur 1, the most critically acclaimed game of that entire generation, wasn't enough to get the job done.

That being said, there is a franchise he brought up that you didn't mention, which is what provoked me to bring up the Dreamcast in the first place. 

You completely missed the point of my reply which is why you probably posted that video. My point was that sega's first party lineup is not even in the same league as Nintendo's first party lineup. Sonic is big, but even then, it is nowhere near as big as Mario, Donkey kong, mario kart, smash, etc. It might have been as big as Zelda on the Genesis where it sold 6M. But that's about it. I doubt soul calibur 1 ever sold 5M+ (correct me if i'm wrong though). 

All in all, Sega did have a great lineup of games in terms of quality but in terms of sales and popularity, it is not comparable to the whole lineup that Nintendo has. 

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

I thought the 3ds was Nintendo's Main Console... jk jk

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

RolStoppable said:

It still illustrates how delusional Nintendo fanboys were though. Ubisoft? Who in their right mind would bank on Ubisoft?

Had to put something on the board...

Holy crap!! didn't know those were the actual numbers ? seriously 1.8 mil ?

Around the Network
petroleo said:
Holy crap!! didn't know those were the actual numbers ? seriously 1.8 mil ?

For some context here is the year over year chart all i can do is smh at this console

Carl2291 said:

The Dreamcast comparison is based on NPD/US data, in which the Wii U is behind.

Holy crap indeed.

Carl2291 said:

The Dreamcast comparison is based on NPD/US data, in which the Wii U is behind.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, the good news is that the Wii U looks on track to beating Dreamcasts holiday sales.

reggin_bolas said:
I love how people say 2014 will be the year of the comeback. How can you ignore increased competition and games for the PS4 and Xb1?

Honestly, I don't thin that Nintendo needs to sell MORE than PS4 or X1 to make money on the Wii U and consider it NOT a bust.  Not a success either, but get them to the next idea.  Nintendo has been taking risks the past two generation for sure (acutally more like the past 30 years); sometimes it pays off, sometimes it bites you in the ass.

Oh, and one more thing, the Wii U just might get a 250 price cut + bundle in 2014, while PS4 and X1 will most likely not get any.

Sensei said:
Nice poll. Damn shortages! :D

Yeah. Nintendo is the only one to blame for not selling more. How's that possible?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile