By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales: Media Create; Famitsu & Dengeki Week 48 (Nov 25 - Dec 1)

Soleron said:
ryuzaki57 said:

I purchased 8 Vita games in the last 3 months so I did my part. Besides, Vita currently has more games in development than any other system in Japan, so Vita games must be just fine.

Were they greenlit during sales as low as they are now? If not, do you expect publishers to be greenlighting original, Vita exclusive games right now?

I think we'll see some of them eventually given how Vita seems to have surprised some publishers with how successful their games were on it, particularly Tecmo-Koei with Toukiden and Marvelous AQL with both Senran Kagura and Muramasa Rebirth. They weren't huge I'll admit, but it would seem to be worth their while to make more games on PSV

Around the Network

Just for comparisons sake, PS3 sold more units this week last year than what WiiU did this year. Wii U has reached PS3's 6th year level of sales, nothing to be impressed by, and tipically, every console starts ramping up after mid November in Japan, especially Nintendo consoles, so this shouldn't be a surprise.

Seasonal boost, that's it. 3D World however has a very worrying performance.

Wii U has 3 games left this year (DQX Expansion, Mario and Sonic and MHFG) None of them will break 100k, so I doubt they'll be of much help.

We will be seeing sad faces once again come January's numbers. Wii behaved exactly like this (with a much higher baseline though) in Japan during its last years. Terrible numbers throughout the year and a 5 week spike at the Holidays which ended dramatically on the second week of January.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Trestres but how accurate are the numbers, as i said Mario 3D world has been on place 5 on japanese amazon for long and final fantasy keeps falling for days

Videokameras said:
Trestres but how accurate are the numbers, as i said Mario 3D world has been on place 5 on japanese amazon for long and final fantasy keeps falling for days

The numbers in this thread?  A wee bit more accurate than amazon.jp.

Ok thanks, i didnt know i thought amazon is more accurate

Around the Network
Videokameras said:
Ok thanks, i didnt know i thought amazon is more accurate

Oh.

Well then, yes.  These are the official numbers for the week.  Mario 3D World sold less than Lightning Returns.

Amazon.jp can only be used as a measure of popularity, but as you can see, it's not particularly representative of actual sales.  It depends completely on what type of game it is.

Does Amazon really mean anything in Japan???
I only ask because it is my understanding that a lot of these international (non-Japanese) retailers aren't preferred by many in Japan...
For example, you can have one of the top selling songs on iTunes Japan and not even have your song chart...

Have a nice day...

Lee but then again the softbank boss is korean and as far as i know its the greatest carrier. But u have a point lee, i thought amazon was just so convenient because japanese work so hard and have no time, but i guess i just dont know enough about japan.

leedlelee said:
I only ask because it is my understanding that a lot of these international (non-Japanese) retailers aren't preferred by many in Japan...
For example, you can have one of the top selling songs on iTunes Japan and not even have your song chart...

I have no idea about the actual figures, but I thought the point of it was: it provides a ranking and at least it's something to look at.  Same deal with COMG.  They're an extremely small chain of retailers in a rural part of Japan, but at least they give us something to discuss.

It's just that that people tend to forget that when something good happens (on either retailer) and get carried away.

leedlelee said:

Fact is until we get the proper numbers on a Wednesday (which are themselves estimates, albeit fairly good ones) are we can do is scratch around in the dark. However, in my opinion Amazon is perhaps the least useful of all the early indicators of popularity. Why that is I don't know, but its rankings are often very different to what we see in MC/Famitsu.

COMG! is better but still flawed, to use it with any degree of accuracy you have to consider past information which may not always be available and interpret it accordingly and even then it's far from an exact science. Also I see lots of people using Amazon when other indicators show particular games they like not doing very well but when Amazon does, which is obviously a flawed basis on which to make any predictions

Tsutaya is also better, but again it can often be wrong (It's usually there or there abouts, but sometimes it's way off)