By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748

It is hard to find a gaming-related killer app, but on the technical side - it just made a huge jump in computer vision by making 3d cameras affordable. Is it forced ? hell yeah... (and probably hits the magic gimmick spot in order to get additional sales) , but they know the potential of such devices. As strategy, I would probably do this too. Trust me, there are killer apps - just not gaming related.
Bluray was a normal iteration; some type of strategy also (worked twice before), but it was a somehow smoother approach.

Ex Graphics Whore.

Around the Network
ViktorBKK said:

If Blu-ray is dying, then why is Microsoft using it on Xbone?

Well for movies, physical media isn't nearly as popular as it once was. Bluray certainly will never achieve what DVD did in its prime.

I imagine video games are pushing Bluray discs more than movies at this point.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

DVDs are pushing more movies than Blu-Ray as of today.
Almost 10 years later.

Recon1O1 said:
I still think force is the wrong word. You do have options M$ just put different tech in their box. I'm looking forward to having both bluray and Kinnect.

As I said before, it makes perfect sense to use Bluray at this point. More storage space is a necessity and its cheap technology.

However, early in the PS3's life it was very expensive and didn't really make 7th gen gaming better, in my opinion.

Sony fans loved trashing Xbox for a being a TV machine, yet boast about PS3 being a Bluray player. Its kinda funny.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

BMaker11 said:
yvanjean said:
greenmedic88 said:
Is anyone conveniently overlooking the fact that all three 8th gen consoles are using BD format optical media for publishing games?

Yes, even the Wii U is using a proprietary violet laser drive based upon BD technology, developed by Panasonic, one of the developers of BD.

So... it wasn't okay for the PS3 to have a BD drive and now it's okay that the XB1 has one? Or would XB1 buyers or potential buyers rather have their games published on multiple DVDs or have to download significant portions of their retail games if MS could drop the price of their package by $20, $50, $10 because BD is not necessary?

So we're supposed to be against any device that uses technology before it becomes industry standard. This is what I'm taking from the above opinion.

Really? BD drive are cheaper and faster now. When the PS3 came out they simply cost too much and there slower read speed compared to the DVD was a problem.

The cost and read speed problem out weight the benefit of extra storage, better video and sound quality.

You conveniently ignored his last part "so we're supposed to be against any device that uses technology before it becomes industry standard". Why do you think BD drives are cheaper and faster now? You surely don't believe that they got better at developing them just on a whim instead of because the PS3 pushed BD as the norm. 

Don't bitch about "BD just cost too much" but be all hunky dory that it's cheap now so the XBone can use it. Without PS3, BD wouldn't have been supported, would have not been as invested in, resulting in manufacturers not taking the time to reduce production costs on them. Every new media is gonna be expensive initially and then cost less as they produce more and more of them. But don't forget that it had to begin somewhere and then praise it later when it's convenient. It's hypocritical. You can't be against devices that use technology before they become industry standard. Otherwise there will never be an industry standard.

You think if Sony had to do it again they would make the same dumb decision and lose something like 5 billion in two years.  The PS3 apparently cost like 800 to build when it was first release. Even at $599 they were still losing like 175$ per console. 

The only reason Sony decided to go with BD is because they own the expensive technology. 

If not Blu-ray there would of been another techonology invented, either Hd-DVD or probably still Blu-ray since Sony partnered with other companies to work on imporving the BD.

When you build your game console every component as to make financial sense. Look at how the PS4 was designed this time around they have a console that's more powerful then Xbox One that cost less.If I take what your saying and you had to choose a video card for a new console,  do you use the standard video card that cost 50-100$, the slightly high end model that cost 120$ or go for top of the line $300 video card. No one in their right mind would take the $300 video card.

Around the Network

Well MS conceded to Sony and now uses it as well. Blue ray had tons of benefits for ALL games and Sony didn't let it compromise its performance...

Goatseye said:
Michael-5 said:

Yes there has, one of the big reasons Metal Gear Solid 4 never made it to 360 was because they couldn't partition it into small enough bits.

Plus games like FFXIII have to have their cutscenes significantly compressed to work on 360. Not to mention the pile of PS3 exclusives which are 40G or larger. BR was needed to optimize the power of the PS3, and yes at the start it was a bit expensive, but later on DY DVD's held back the 360 a lot.

Kinect on the other hand, is not required. It's the same idea as playing Smash Bros on the Wii, a lot of people prefer to play it with the Gamecube controller. Unlike Wii though, Kinect isn't universally accepted, a good population of gamers don't want it, and there isn't a single game out yet which needs it. So why force it?

Do you have number of games that reach and exceeds 40Gs on PS3? Or you're just speculating?

They're just a handful of games according to you that needed more space than DVD permits.

Well, MS did correctly calculating the marginal benefit of adding a DVD disc driver instead of a BR-P.

By saying Kinect is universally not accepted you're disregarding the 20+ million that bought it.

Just because gamers "bitch" on the forums a lot about doesn't mean it's universally hated. I know multiple families that also have fun playing dance and other interactive games w/ Kinect. Otherwise they wouldn't have played "a boring-sit down- staring at the screen- with a controller."

A handful of games needs the extra space, a lot of games work noticably better with it. As opposed to Kinect where NONE of the games need the peripheral, and a handful of games will "benefit" from it.

MS did not correctly calculate the benefit of Blu-Ray, that's one big reason PS3 caught up and surpassed 360 in sales.

As for Kinect being universally disliked, I think the casual dislike it more then the core. XBO sold less units then PS4 at launch, a domestic American product got outsold by a foreign Japanese product. This never happens in the USA, unless the American product is significantly worse.

Hey, if family's really need an interactive system, then can get a PS4 and a $100 Wii or just buy a WiiU for $300, it's a much much better family system.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Mr Puggsly said:
ViktorBKK said:

If Blu-ray is dying, then why is Microsoft using it on Xbone?

Well for movies, physical media isn't nearly as popular as it once was. Bluray certainly will never achieve what DVD did in its prime.

I imagine video games are pushing Bluray discs more than movies at this point.

Where I live, video clubs are still very popular. For 1.20 euro/day, you can get any blu-ray movie of your choice. It beats streaming services in both quality and price, unless if you count piracy, and even then it doesn't match blu-ray quality. If you have a half decent AV setup at home, with blu-ray you can enjoy a superior experience to what the vast majority of movie theaters offer.

On the console video games side, with digital games priced at 60-70 euros even for  older games, I don't even see a contest here. 90%++ of purchases will be done in physical media. With both consoles going for blu-ray this round, this will make a difference.

The only service that I can think of which is truly disruptive and a threat to physical media, is Steam.

yvanjean said:
BMaker11 said:
yvanjean said:

Really? BD drive are cheaper and faster now. When the PS3 came out they simply cost too much and there slower read speed compared to the DVD was a problem.

The cost and read speed problem out weight the benefit of extra storage, better video and sound quality.

You conveniently ignored his last part "so we're supposed to be against any device that uses technology before it becomes industry standard". Why do you think BD drives are cheaper and faster now? You surely don't believe that they got better at developing them just on a whim instead of because the PS3 pushed BD as the norm. 

Don't bitch about "BD just cost too much" but be all hunky dory that it's cheap now so the XBone can use it. Without PS3, BD wouldn't have been supported, would have not been as invested in, resulting in manufacturers not taking the time to reduce production costs on them. Every new media is gonna be expensive initially and then cost less as they produce more and more of them. But don't forget that it had to begin somewhere and then praise it later when it's convenient. It's hypocritical. You can't be against devices that use technology before they become industry standard. Otherwise there will never be an industry standard.

You think if Sony had to do it again they would make the same dumb decision and lose something like 5 billion in two years.  The PS3 apparently cost like 800 to build when it was first release. Even at $599 they were still losing like 175$ per console. 

The only reason Sony decided to go with BD is because they own the expensive technology. 

If not Blu-ray there would of been another techonology invented, either Hd-DVD or probably still Blu-ray since Sony partnered with other companies to work on imporving the BD.

When you build your game console every component as to make financial sense. Look at how the PS4 was designed this time around they have a console that's more powerful then Xbox One that cost less.If I take what your saying and you had to choose a video card for a new console,  do you use the standard video card that cost 50-100$, the slightly high end model that cost 120$ or go for top of the line $300 video card. No one in their right mind would take the $300 video card.

But....that's exactly what happens every generation. Except last. The Wii used the current standard at the time, and look at what their games look like in 2013. 360 and PS3 used high end cards (high end at the time) and their games look great in 2013. 

It's like if I bought a GFX card in order to play Crysis back in 2007. "No one in their right mind would take the $300 card", yet if I got a Crysis level GFX card then, I'd be set even to this day. And now a Crysis level GFX card from 2007 has become the standard of today. Now, imagine putting such a card in consoles talking about "next-gen" and is supposed to be on the market for 6-7 years. Games will look extremely dated at the end of the consoles life. You never put the "standard" in a console. "Standard" is just "high end" from a couple years ago. You don't put GFX cards from a couple years ago into a system that's supposed to last several years going forward. At least, not traditionally

Your comparison is faulty anyway, because it assumes that the "standard" is just dirt cheap, so you can then say the "high end" is 6x the cost. Speaking today, the "standard" would be about a $250 card, to run games pretty smoothly on decent settings, while a $350-400 GFX card would be "high end" (and I'm talking to the end user buying different cards off of retail shelves. It's a different story for companies with deals with GFX manufacturers to mass produce one GFX card). You buy a $50 supposedly "standard" GFX card.....and you're not playing Skyrim, even on low settings, and that game came out 2 years ago

edit: I didn't respond to you first point. Yes, I think Sony would do it again. They are loss leaders. They do it all the time. And more importantly, the think long term. So what if they lost some money in the beginning? They flipped it around and was back in the black 5 years or so later and blu ray is in every PS3, PS4, XB1, in many computers and laptops, movie players, etc. and even the WiiU used BD technology. Blu ray is essentially free money for them now. Every blu ray player sold is money in Sony's pocket. Every blu ray movie sold is money in Sony's pocket. Every external drive bought is money in Sony's pocket. Every laptop or computer with a BD drive built in is money in Sony's pocket. And the feeling I know they think is sweet: every time the XBone sells a unit and every time an XBone game sells, it's money in Sony's pocket. If I had a plan like that, and the resources to pull it off, I would gladly take a loss for a few years, and then have profits just rolling for several, several years afterward. At this point, if Sony completely removed itsself from the video game industry....they'd still make money from the video game industry.

You can try and hold on to the negative press the PS3 got in 2007, but that's just grasping at straws. The long term benefit >>>>>>> short term loss

Michael-5 said:

A handful of games needs the extra space, a lot of games work noticably better with it. As opposed to Kinect where NONE of the games need the peripheral, and a handful of games will "benefit" from it.

MS did not correctly calculate the benefit of Blu-Ray, that's one big reason PS3 caught up and surpassed 360 in sales.

As for Kinect being universally disliked, I think the casual dislike it more then the core. XBO sold less units then PS4 at launch, a domestic American product got outsold by a foreign Japanese product. This never happens in the USA, unless the American product is significantly worse.

Hey, if family's really need an interactive system, then can get a PS4 and a $100 Wii or just buy a WiiU for $300, it's a much much better family system.

Why would anybody settle for less? Xbox One promises more in content than a system with solely a graphic card update and the other is defunct.

PS3 caught up to Xbox 360 not because of Blu-Ray. It got cheaper in international market, where Xbox doesn't have a name yet.

There are BR-players for $40 nowadays.

PS4 is(might be) selling better(?) than Xbox1 not because of quality, but because of cheaper price and a better aura with customers after E3.

You think casuals dislike Kinect more but I doubt it from what I've seen so far.