By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748
Mr Puggsly said:

I'll be blunt, I can't point to a single game that was better thanks to Bluray. The best things Bluray had to offer on PS3 is higher quality video and no disc swaps.

It appears to me the only thing that motivated Sony to push Bluray was royalties and it made the PS3 signficantly more expensive. Had PS3 not included Bluray, it might have launched for $399.

Not everyone wants Kinect, but not everyone wanted Bluray either. So I ask again! Is forcing Kinect on people any different than Sony forcing Bluray on us for PS3?!

Don't mean to be a hater, but Blu Ray versus Kinect is dumb.   The Playstation 3, even when it was $300, was a good deal, because not only could it play Blu Rays, but it could play Playstation 1 games, and it had storage for purchased content.    If you were an early adpoter(Paid $599 and $699)  your consoles also gained backwards compatibility support with Playstation 2 games, and it also had SD card, Compact Flash, and Memory Stick Pro Duo support(Up to 32GB on SD card, unsure about Memory Stick Pro Duo/Compact Flash)

The Playstation 3 also had a very difficult time handling games above 720p, the only games I saw really handle 1080p were a couple of poorly rated Eastern RPG's.    As for Blu-Ray support, it's a great reason NOT to sell your system, and use it as a 3D Blu Ray player in another room of the house.

Forcing Kinect though sucks, not everyone cares about voice commands or video, at least with the PS4 it's optional.

2 Discs to play Battlefield?   2 Discs to play Grand Theft Auto V?   THREE Discs for Final Fantasy XIII?   Come on, annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HollywoodShono

http://twitch.tv/HollywoodShono

http:/www.twitter.com/HollywoodShono

http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodShono

PSN:   BShornock, Wii U:  Hollywood_Shono, Xbox 360:  BShornock, Email:  bshornock@icloud.com, Steam:  BShornock

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
yvanjean said:

You think there no impact to game, just look at the WiiU and how there a lack of 3rd party support and delays because of the smaller installed base.

With smaller install base the system can't support as many software and getting funding for game gets much harder.

This still does not answer his question about how blu ray negatively affected PS3 games. In what way blu ray negatively affect how gameplay experiences/how games were developed. 

Lack of 3rd party support for the WiiU completely deviates from the question of how a medium helps or hinders video games. 

Probably by not being playable on a X360 console...

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Bluray enhances games for the hardcore with more room for uncompressed audio, graphics, cinematics, and no disc swaps.

Kinect doesn't help with any of that, it just adds a controller option that not everyone likes.

Sensei said:

Bluray enhances games for the hardcore with more room for uncompressed audio, graphics, cinematics, and no disc swaps.

Kinect doesn't help with any of that, it just adds a controller option that not everyone likes.

Well I guess pandering to the core is the reason Sony lost so much of their userbase with the PS3.

With that said, I think MS may lose some of its userbase due to Kinect with X1.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

BMaker11 said:

This still does not answer his question about how blu ray negatively affected PS3 games. In what way blu ray negatively affect how gameplay experiences/how games were developed. 

Lack of 3rd party support for the WiiU completely deviates from the question of how a medium helps or hinders video games. 

Well. The Playstation 3's Blu-ray drive has a slower transfer rate than the Xbox 360.
Blu-ray in the PS3 is 9MB/s.
Whilst the Xbox 360's DVD drive is 16.62MB/s.

That can make an impact on data streaming from the optical drive, which the consoles heavily used.

The end result is, developers had to play "tetris" with the data on the discs to optimise how the game data is accessed and some data even had to be duplicated multiple times because of it.

That's not to say DVD didn't have it's own share of issues, take Final Fantasy for isntance with it's heavily compressed low-resolution video which was required to fit on DVD.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
yvanjean said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
yvanjean said:

Sony created the tech. They know how far it can go and they've been saying since the first Eyetoy that having a camera without a peripheral for games is folly. That would be 2004 to be exact. Microsoft never created the tech so they dont know anything about anything. They just know what they want you to believe.

Kinect offers HD quality camera, Microphone to communicate with your consoles and motion control.

Camera is part of the gaming landscape now, 3DS, PSV, WiiU, PS4 all use a camera in some form. 

The Kinect is a very useful accessory even if you ignored the motion control. Don't tell me the tech doesn't work, you've use it yourself, you know that it work. 

Whats the point apart from Sony made the tech and they know how far it can go? Sony knows Microsoft is stuck in mini-game hell and cannot actually controll 3D realms or manipulate them properly without a peripheral. This is why Sony created the Move. They knew this a full generation before 

I just mentioned two games that are reliant on the Kinect, Just Dance and Dance Central without the Kinect these game would not sale as much as they do on Xbox 360 and now on Xbox One. 

Whats the point apart from Sony made the tech and they know how far it can go? Sony knows Microsoft is stuck in mini-game hell and cannot actually controll 3D realms or manipulate them properly without a peripheral. This is why Sony created the Move. They knew this a full generation before. Just Dance and Dance Central is the best you're ever going to get out of the Kinect. Sony has already proven their point that peripherals and cameras can complete a core experience especially for those who dont like to game as much. Microsoft has failed, but they failed in style because it made them more money thanks to great marketing and good multimedia integration which is much better this time. After playing Killzone and the FIght on the Move there is no contest and I still believe the the cameras should be optional. 

Microsoft will probably succeed with their multimedia/cable integration with the Kinect commands and all. I think everyone needs to turn their heads away from the Kinect and look at the cloud. Something that will become as essential as Sony's format driving in the console realm. Both are invested in it and they know its going to be big.

Come on I let it go the first time.... Sony made the tech??? Do you know nothing about the Kinect.

Give me a link that prove that Sony created the Kinect technology before you make that insane claim again.

Microsoft as failed with Kinect. Come on bud.....

Sales

24 million units of Kinect had been shipped by February 2013. Having sold 8 million units in its first 60 days on the market, Kinect has claimed the Guinness World Record of being the "fastest selling consumer electronics device". According to Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter, Kinect bundles accounted for about half of all Xbox 360 console sales in December 2010 and for more than two-thirds in February 2011. More than 750,000 Kinect units were sold during the week of Black Friday 2011.

The only reason PS4 as drop the motion control is that they're betting on VR headset technology. Since the PS4 eye is not sold with the console or is not in any bundle, you know that it won't be fully supported by the developpers.

The only thing those figures tell me is that there must be a lot of stupid customers out there. Maybe for the exception of 1-2 games kinect didn't make any games better. There is still no killer app for it. Majority of the devices are gathering dust or were sold on!

In a way I do see your point. But I think the reality is different as Blu-ray is a dying format and Kinect is the future. Even if you don't want to play games with it, the verbal commands can be really convenient and useful.

I have Blu-ray player and like less than a half dozen Blu-rays. Several that were upgrades from DVD's I own and haven't even watched.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

I still think force is the wrong word. You do have options M$ just put different tech in their box. I'm looking forward to having both bluray and Kinnect.

Zappykins said:
In a way I do see your point. But I think the reality is different as Blu-ray is a dying format and Kinect is the future. Even if you don't want to play games with it, the verbal commands can be really convenient and useful.

I have Blu-ray player and like less than a half dozen Blu-rays. Several that were upgrades from DVD's I own and haven't even watched.

If Blu-ray is dying, then why is Microsoft using it on Xbone?

lol this is a waaaayy different situation.