By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Analyst predicts new Xbox, Nintendo consoles by 2010

Before Nintendo does a new console, I can see them improving this console.
Wide-screen support and upscaling to psudo-HD output as well as DVD playback might be on the horizon.
But if you take this analyst at his word -- it means Nintendo comes out with a new console next year (Microsoft in 2010, Nintendo sooner than that ... which means 2009). That's only a three-year life cycle on a product that currently STILL cannot meet demand. Four words on that: I DON'T THINK SO.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
Wide-screen support and upscaling to psudo-HD output as well as DVD playback might be on the horizon.

The Wii already supports widescreen, d00d.  So did the gamecube and PS2. 

You know we're reaching a stage where computing power in consoles is starting to be pretty good and i can see the PS3 lasting longer than what is being predicted in this thread.
I started to notice that for PC like 3 years ago and it will be the same for consoles.

It used to be you had to update your PC every 2-3 years if you wanted to play the most recent games and now you can keep it for 4 years and you're still fine except for a few rare crazy games ( Crysis).

It's going to be the same for consoles. The majority of games don't need more powerfull consoles to be able to run well.( only thing you could argue for is the somewhat low RAM in this gen consoles).
So yeah I see the PS3 around until like 2013....
And that's part of Sony's brand image.
You pay more for their stuff, but it's good quality and will last you a while..........
Of course I can see Microsoft wanting to replace their 360 faster cause that DVD-Reader is gonna start being obsolete pretty soon and most ppls don't want to switch 4 discs during game play.....

Right now I could be wrong but I really don't see the case for a killer new console in 2011 or so that would make this generation's consoles obsolete by blowing their performances out...( in a way that can actually be noticeable in games). Only exception is the Wii but their price point allow them to get a new console out and not upset their customer base...

PS : Consoles are not Ipod. Microsoft and Sony really don't make any cash out of selling them, the cash is from games, so as long as you can design kick ass games on the current consoles there is no incentive for them to replace them early.....( there was last gen for Microsoft because of the Nvidia issue and their market share). This gen however I don't see any of the big 3 in such a bad market position that they would want to say ' these cards sucks, lets shuffle the deck and start over again'

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Anyone who expects Sony to hold off launching the next flagship home console for 10 years post PS3 release is a complete fool.

Sony had the same strategy for PS2 and it's still in play but what you people fail to realize is that a 10 year plan of support and not releasing a new console for 10 years are not the same thing.

All new consoles in 2011 with MS possibly releasing a year earlier since they have a year head start on development.

Some of you guys think that if sales slow they can just pop out a new console not realizing the 3-4 years worth of development work it takes first. Think for a minute fellas, please.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

kingofwale said:
nothing unexpected, PS3 will still go on strong for next 8-9 years. 2015 will be the new release of PS4.

When did it start strong?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Kingofwale is a Sony fanboy or he just loves pulling chains. Just ignore him.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Kingofwale is a Sony fanboy or he just loves pulling chains. Just ignore him.

I was wonder how he could possibly project 8-9 years before the PS4 will come out when Sony themselves aren't planning on waiting nearly that long.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
kingofwale said:
nothing unexpected, PS3 will still go on strong for next 8-9 years. 2015 will be the new release of PS4.

When did it start strong?

The Ps3 is almost selling at half speed of Wii, are you calling that bad? :P

I mean, if they had sold more, they would have lost more money... :P

/Cheese

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

I don't think a single user in here would make such a stupid prediction. Jesus... people get paid for this kind of thing? I want in!

TheBigFatJ said:
mike_intellivision said:

The Wii already supports widescreen, d00d. So did the gamecube and PS2.

So did the N64, for that matter. :)

@Topic: So he's saying Nintendo releases the Wii in 2006, it sells like frigging gangbusters, and then in 2009, rather than capitalize on its success, they say "well that was fun, let's see if we can do it again!"