By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 sold through 2.1 million units worldwide as of 12/1 (700k EU)

and 1.3-1.4 million of those were sold in 3 countries. Canada, US, and UK.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Around the Network

So does this count black friday sales?

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/131203b_e.pdf

"Tokyo, December 3, 2013 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that cumulative sell through for the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system worldwide has surpassed 2.1 million units*1 as of December 1, 2013. The number includes the 700,000 units sold through in Europe and Australasia launching on November 29. The PS4 system became available on November 15 in the United States and Canada and on November 29 in Europe, Australasia and Latin America and is now available in 32 countries globally.

“PS4 delivered the best launch in PlayStation history with the North American release and we’ve continued this incredibly successful start in Europe, Australasia and Latin America,” said Andrew House, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. “Demand remains incredibly strong and continues to overwhelm the supply worldwide, but we are diligently working to meet those growing demands and to deliver additional PS4 units to our retail partners throughout the holiday season. We are extremely grateful for the passion of PlayStation fans and thank them for their continued support.”

Just found that same article: http://www.shopto.net/news/44824/Sony-has-sold-21-million-PS4s-as-of-December-1

Beat me to the punch.....now I wonder, something is wrong.

The article says that PS4 opened to 1 million during US's launch, and 1.1 million in Europe, but it says that 2.1 million is the total up to December 1st. Did the PS4 not sell anything since it launched? Is it sold out?

However according to InfoScout and this VGC article http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251418/xbox-one-outsells-ps4-at-walmart-and-target-on-black-friday/ --- PS4 sold just as well as PS3 during Black Friday, which is at least 300k in USA alone

So who is wrong here? Andrew House or InfoScout? Does this mean PS4 is going to have a huge adjustment downward (for the debut week in USA)?

Either way, 2.1 million is good. I cant wait to get NDP data to confirm some of these numbers.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

zhao3gold said:
It is better to wait for the official press release in written to clarify if it is shipment figure or sell through figure. Whatever it is, it is quite impressive. Congratulations to Sony and PS4.

MS, as your fan, please learn from your own lesson and learn from your competitor. It is nearly hopeless to catch up PS4, but please make good games for us Xbox fans, so we will not feel more disappointed.

I think it's sell through data, but the wording of the statement confuses me. Andrew says the PS4 debuted to 1 million units in NA, what about week 2 and week 3 sales? Why is the 2.1 total he gave only reference debut sales, but then he states it the total sales up to Dec 1st?

I think the statement is off, PS4 debuted to 1 million in NA and 1.1 million in EU. Since the USA debut, I think PS4 has sold about 400k units, meaning PS4 is actually at 2.5 million, not 2.1. That's my hypothesis.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

Read it again,

It says 700k+ for Europe/Australia (Sold Out), 1 Million+ for NA (also Sold Out) 

Throw in the 300kish number from black friday (Sold Out Again) and you get around 2.1 Million

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"

Michael-5 said:
zhao3gold said:
It is better to wait for the official press release in written to clarify if it is shipment figure or sell through figure. Whatever it is, it is quite impressive. Congratulations to Sony and PS4.

MS, as your fan, please learn from your own lesson and learn from your competitor. It is nearly hopeless to catch up PS4, but please make good games for us Xbox fans, so we will not feel more disappointed.

I think it's sell through data, but the wording of the statement confuses me. Andrew says the PS4 debuted to 1 million units in NA, what about week 2 and week 3 sales? Why is the 2.1 total he gave only reference debut sales, but then he states it the total sales up to Dec 1st?

I think the statement is off, PS4 debuted to 1 million in NA and 1.1 million in EU. Since the USA debut, I think PS4 has sold about 400k units, meaning PS4 is actually at 2.5 million, not 2.1. That's my hypothesis.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/rele.../131203b_e.pdf

"Tokyo, December 3, 2013 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that cumulative sell through for the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system worldwide has surpassed 2.1 million units*1 as of December 1, 2013. The number includes the 700,000 units sold through in Europe and Australasia launching on November 29. The PS4 system became available on November 15 in the United States and Canada and on November 29 in Europe, Australasia and Latin America and is now available in 32 countries globally.

This confirms EU only accounted for 700k, so north america "including latin america" has to be 1.4m+

Looks like Sony really focused on NA and the UK (in terms of supply). I guess that's the smart thing to do since they were really behind in them last gen. I just hope they have enough supply for the rest of the year.

could it be possible the 2.1million has all been preorders so they are the onse that are confirmed sold and sony waiting for#'s from retailers for the exact specifics?

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Michael-5 said:

Just found that same article: http://www.shopto.net/news/44824/Sony-has-sold-21-million-PS4s-as-of-December-1

Beat me to the punch.....now I wonder, something is wrong.

The article says that PS4 opened to 1 million during US's launch, and 1.1 million in Europe, but it says that 2.1 million is the total up to December 1st. Did the PS4 not sell anything since it launched? Is it sold out?

However according to InfoScout and this VGC article http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251418/xbox-one-outsells-ps4-at-walmart-and-target-on-black-friday/ --- PS4 sold just as well as PS3 during Black Friday, which is at least 300k in USA alone

So who is wrong here? Andrew House or InfoScout? Does this mean PS4 is going to have a huge adjustment downward (for the debut week in USA)?

Either way, 2.1 million is good. I cant wait to get NDP data to confirm some of these numbers.

Not hard to do the math.

700k Europe

Rest is NA and Latin America,  probably 1.3m for NA and 100k for LA due to the low gamer population there.