By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Blackbond and Jason Rubin Tell It Like It Is About Wii U

NeoRatt said:
RG3Hunna said:
NeoRatt said:
gmcmen said:
Cleary397 said:
gmcmen said:
Cleary397 said:

The Wii is in no way a fad.

It ushered in the all so popular features of your beloved 'hardcore' consoles, it popularised motion controls to the masses which allowed Microsoft to capitalise on the huge Wii fanbase with the Kinect.

The Wii was the start of a new way of gaming. Not a fad.

here is the funny part, microsoft are gonna be outsold by 20 million + by the end of this gen, by choosing weaker but more expensive hardware cause of kinect.

You have to look at it from a business perspective.

Sure, MS would love to beat SONY in sales numbers, but if MS can make profit on the XBONE it will be a success.

As it goes so far, they are making huge losses because of the massive investment they made in infrastructure (90 billion servers) but this will benefit them in the long run. Its not all about who sold the most, its who made the most profit.

motion controls were once a hot item, not anymore and microsft will pay for that heavy investment they made for the xbone, i guess they don't realize nobody cares about motion controls anymore.

Wii was a fad...

MS took what Wii created and made it into a long term game changer.

From a business perspective MS cannot just look at sales today, they have to look at sales well into the future.  With PS4 Sony has nothing that is going to keep that console moving after 4-6 years.  Sony will either have to change direction,  introduce new accessories, or a new console.  MS has an advantage because their view of X1 is so broad (Casual gamers, media nuts, fitness nuts, and core gaming).  MS will keep X1 sales constant for 6-8 years as long as they continue to bring core games along with the other elements they can sell.

To sell a console for more than 4-6 years you have to appeal to more than just the core gamer.  That's why MS is marketing its console to a broader market set.  It is setting itself up for a longer selling cycle.

Casuals do NOT buy consoles, they do not care about gaming, they now game on their cell phones. If microsoft is depending on casual gamers to provide revenue for their video game market they are in for a rude awakening.

Casuals at one point in time were purchasing the wii console at an alarming rate and now all they do is purchase game apps from the app store to play on their cell phones. Casuals do not care about video games and they are not willing to dish out $399 or $499 for a console when they can spend $1.99 for an app to play angry birds or candy crush on their cell phone they got for free with their 2 year contract from their cell provider.

Casuals is NOT the way to go, the way to go is to target hard core gamers. 

Casuals buy consoles for family / social activities at home. 

For example, right now where I live it is the start of winter...  The ambient temperature outside is -17 Celsius...  What can you do at home as a family at that temperature that is active?  As a family we can beat each other up, or get off their butts and play games like Wii Sports, Kinect Sports, Just Dance, Dance Central, etc...  Also, who wants to drive to a gym at that temperature and with two feet of snow?  That's what fitness games can do... 

I agree that casual numbers in games are dispersing to different devices...  But, casuals buy consoles because they want family oriented, active, and participative entertainment when outdoor conditions frankly are awful.

At 499.99, the XL isn't priced right to be the Casual Console of choice.

Around the Network
EdHieron said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiqVWV_ueHY

Blackbond and Jason Rubin tell it like it is  about Nintendo's Wii U.  The console is completely irrelevant to the Dedicated Console Industry.  And their irrelevancy is hurting their franchises.  Look at the pitiful sales of the latest installment of their biggest Cash Cow Mario across the globe.  Especially coming in after the PS3's Knack ( even though the game isn't getting the respect it deserves ) in the UK and coming in 7th in its second week in the latest game sales forecast from Japan.

Personally, I only see two ways that Nintendo could be relevant to the console industry.   One would be to drop the Wii U entirely and become a third party developer and the other would be to drop the price of Wii U to $199.00.  I've been criticized for suggesting that Nintendo drop the price of Wii U to $199, but it just isn't at a suitable price point at $299 versus the third party support and the technology under the hoods of PS4 and Xbox One.

Really while lagging far behind the 8th Gen consoles in specs the Wii U is only a step up from the 7th Gen consoles in power.  And the more expensive versions of PS3 and Xbox 360 ( the $250 models ) come with decent sized hard drives in comparison to the Wii U ( which doesn't even have a hard drive at all ( even back in the 1980s I remember my dad talking about the difference between our PC and my Nintendo Entertainment System.  He said, "One way you can tell the difference between a toy and a real computer is that a toy doesn't have a hard drive.  In that respect, Nintendo hasn't evolved since the 1980s ) justifying a more expensive price tag for them than for the Wii U.

If Nintendo hopes to have any chance of remaining relevant in the console industry, they really need to cut the price of Wii U to half of that of PS4 or its going to be left in the dust in the 8th Gen and lead to Nintendo being a 3rd party developer at least where dedicated home video game consoles are concerned.

Completly agree with you, with a 200$ price point and smash, mario kart etc, the wiiU would finally be a worthwile console to buy for harcore gamers.

RG3Hunna said:
keroncoward said:
gmcmen said:
nomad said:
gmcmen said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
nomad said:
gmcmen said:

I don't think it was a fad, because it had a normal life as a console (would you consider CDs or DVDs as a fad?). If Wii was a fad, then every past console were fads. Wii had a lasting effect on gaming, fads don't had long term effects.

Oh, fyi, the 'boy band' thing has been around for decades.

The Wii did not have a lasting effect on gaming. It was a fleeting love affair that never created real gamers. It was a petty trinket that the non-gamers used to pass the time and the throw away. If the Wii U created an Army the Wii U wouldnt be in the predicament that its in.

thank you, 100 million sold, yet nobody shows up to buy its successer,  sounds like a fad, unless none of those buyers enjoyed there wii, i live in florida you always here people talking about  ps4/xbone, nobody ever talks about the wiiu.

So, motion gaming doesn't count? I was not talking about WiiU, a successor doesn't hav to be it's only effect.

motion controls are a fad, sony got the memo, microsoft didn't, even the wiiu its just a tacked on gimmick, which nintendo games are using motion controls in a meaningful way on wiiu, take a guess.

Why is Sony still using the Camera and Move for their PS4 then? You guys just pick and choose whatever you like to support your nonsense argument. All that money they spent on R&D on the move and camera and they just plan to drop support? That will surely piss whatever remaining investors they have. Lets see who goes third party first.

Nobody is saying there isn't a market for motion controls or camera capablities, what we're saying is majority of hard core gamers do not care about that. Look at the kinect for example, that single device has pissed off so many hardcore microsoft loyal fans because they do not care about the device/feature yet it is being shoved down their throat. 

Lets face it the industry/consumers is/are becoming full of graphic whores whether we want to believe it or not, graphics matter. If nintendo want's to compete with sony and microsoft in the future they are going to have to bolster their hardware because hard core gamers like to play their multiplats on the console that is going to give them the best looking game. The years of "Graphics don't matter" are dwindling very fast and if nintendo doesn't catch up they are going to be left behind. 

Kids of our generation who grew up playing great games without spectacular visuals are getting older or retiring from gaming while the new generation are being raised on 1080p 60 frame per second type games and they're never going back.  (battlefield 4)(killzone)(forza)

Knack Knack whose there? 

Me: 3DS?

KylieDog said:
RolStoppable said:
Yes, the Wii U is irrelevant to the industry. It has been since before its launch. Hence why certain people argue that Nintendo should not bother appeasing the industry, because it's a surefire way to their own demise.

The industry loves to say that if Nintendo did this or that, then they would gladly make games for Nintendo. But that's just as honest as the average hardcore gamer saying what Nintendo has to do to win them over.

But Nintendo didn't try to appease the industry.  Nobody wanted a screen on the controller, nobody wanted an underpowered console, nobody wanted Nintendoland or 2D mario as next gen efforts, nobody wanted asymmetric multiplayer, nobody wanted Wiimotes to carry over.

What exactly did the WiiU do?  Seems to me to be another Wii, only the gamepad failed where the Wiimote succeeded, but anything that tried to be another Wii was gonna fail anyway, most Wii owners will not buy another console.

Wow. You totally nailed it. In Nintendo's (misguided) thought process they probably felt like they were simply just following the Wii formula again 

- New type of controller with new play styles -- Check. 

- Slightly more powerful than last generation consoles with lower power consumption and small casing, just like Wii -- Check. 

- Lead software title is a Mii-based collection of mini-games that demo the controller's uses (Nintendo Land to Wii Sports) -- Check. 

- The other big software title is a sequel to a big Nintendo IP (NSMBU to Zelda: TP) -- Check. 

Nintendo didn't realize this formula doesn't work when the controller isn't all that interesting. They bet the farm on a dud idea. 

ListerOfSmeg said:
STRYKIE said:
ninetailschris said:
Panicnausia said:
Metallicube said:

And who the hell made him god of the industry? Let the consumers decide if it's irreverent. It sure as hell isn't to me, as I just bought one, and have no plans on buying the overpriced machines from Sony or MS (which collectively have MAYBE one game worth checking out) until at least 2016.

One game checking out until 2016.......serously??

2014 alone:

Infamous

Uncharted

Titanfall

The order

The Division

Watch Dogs

Dragon Age inquisition

Drive Club

Destiny

Quantum Break

The Crew

Thief

The Witcher 3

to name a few.

He could have a PC were he would get half of those games. Plus Sony exclusive don't sell neary the level of third Party. Most people find there games irrelevant.

Although he certainly wouldn't be able to use a Wii U for any of them either.

The thing is, you're right, 3rd party > 1st party, and that's the fundamental problem, Nintendo is the only one here trying to play devil's advocate.

You wouldnt be able to use a single platform to play all of them either and watchdogs is on Wii U.

I always find it amusing that when people talk about games, they always have to use the game library from 2 competing consoles to make the Wii U look bad.

Like I could make the PS4 look really bad by comparing its library to PC and Wii u combined.

However nobody ever does that as most people are not that desperate

Also dont get mad about the valid point about Sony games. For a console with an install base of 80 million, few 1st party games achieve sales about 5 million without being bundled and or heavily discounted. Look at Last of us. its supposedly one of the best games of last generation yet its sales are extremely poor compared to SMG the other great game of last generation.

I think he made the list using the game library for the two consoles because he was replying to a post that said "machines from Sony or MS (which collectively have MAYBE one game worth checking out) until at least 2016."

Around the Network

NxtGen720 weighs in on the situation:

via http://www.youtube.com/user/nxtgen720

EdHieron said:
curl-6 said:

The Wii lasted a normal console lifespan. A fad would have fizzled out in 2009.

It started to fizzle out in 2009.

The Wii has sold 43 million units since 2009. Fizzled out my arse.

Actually guy, this is how you "tell it how it is..."

You obviously do not own a Wii U, Jason Rubin or OP of this thread, or you would know everything
you just said is nonsensical garbage. eShop, MiiVerse, Hulu, Amazon, YouTube,
Netflix, NintendoTVii, PLEX in 1080p HD, AWESOME Internet Browser, Miis, Wii U Video Chat in HD, etc. and our online is 100% FREE and do you have any idea how ridiculously cheap Nintendo's DLC is? I even watch my Detroit Lions win on SUNDAYS now THANKS TO NINTENDOTVII. You can doodle on the f'ng screen even, they have live polls and trivia with other fans, MiiVerse conversations and a map of the football field on the GAMEPAD!!! Even LIVE stats from ALL of the other games!!!

Out of 27 games that I own for Wii U, 20 of them are 3rd party and rated M for mature. EDIT: Sorry, Only 18 of my games are rated M. I didn't realize that Injustice: Gods Among Us and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 were rated T for teen.

Practically every single game has online except for sniper v2 and
batman origins, for some reason, the developers lazily left out the
online for no apparent reason, though the games did cost less.

I also have seven, yes SEVEN different control schemes: Wiimote,
Wiimote/Nunchuk, GamePad, Pro Controller (with an 80-hour battery life, might I add,) Classic Contoller, Classic Controller Pro and Mayflash Gamecube Adapter using my WIRELESS WAVEBIRD. You guys will be lucky to even have TWO on the other consoles. There is also speculation that the 3DS may be able to be used in the future for the Wii U.

It is because of uneducated, misinformed fools such as yourself, Jason Rubin (and others at DICE, EPIC, CRYTEK (all LIARS,) etc who all said that the Wii U was too underpowered to even run their engines which ended up being absolute LIES and destroyed the Wii U's reputation and potential at ever being taken seriously by the gaming community OUTSIDE of Nintendo Hardcores,) that the Wii U is bashed on by "hardcore" 12-20 year olds and the rest of the "mainstream" media and sheep.

By the way, my Wii U is also 100% backwards compatible with ALL WII peripherals and games and homebrew still works like a CHARM! What's that? All my Virtual Console and WiiWare was also transferable? And saves? Gee golly!

Show me even ONE XB1 or PS4 that does these things and I will buy those consoles! Enjoy your new advertisement/spying machines whose "exclusives" will in some cases also be on PC! And after seven years, let me know how that extra $420 you just lost to paying yearly Live and PSN fees feels. I'll go spend my extra $420 on some ACTUAL 420 and a few more Wii U games... Good day to be a Nintendo fan...

curl-6 said:
EdHieron said:
curl-6 said:

It started to fizzle out in the Summer of 2009.  It did get the first 2D Mario game on a console since the NES era which allowed it to have decent Christmas numbers, but really PS3 has been gaining on it since the first $299 model was released.

EdHieron said:
curl-6 said:
EdHieron said:
curl-6 said:

It started to fizzle out in the Summer of 2009.  It did get the first 2D Mario game on a console since the NES era which allowed it to have decent Christmas numbers, but really PS3 has been gaining on it since the first $299 model was released.

Sorry, but selling more than the lifetime sales of most consoles (and more than half PS3 or 360 sales to date) after that point isn't fizzling out.

I know the "hardcore" as desperate to try to rewrite hsitory to exclude the Wii, but reality disagrees.