By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Blackbond and Jason Rubin Tell It Like It Is About Wii U

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

The Wii had its time, and its time is over.

That applies to every successful console ever.

The difference being the "formula" for the Playstation 2 (which really just aped the formula from the SNES mixed with Genesis style marketing) still works today. 

The Wii formula does not, ergo, one is seen as a fad while the other is not (a core gaming console with lots of third party games and an emphasis on software aimed at male teenagers/college students sold at a relatively affordable price). 

The Wii formula can still very much work today; Kinect does just that.

Around the Network
Flanneryaug said:
People need to realize that the problem with the Wii U isn't the price, it's the lack of major games. The Wii U wasn't ready to launch in 2012, but Nintendo had no choice or else they would continue to lose money from the Wii. Almost all of the Wii U's major games are not coming out until next year. If those games fail to sell the system, then a price cut might be a reasonable last resort.

That gave me an idea! Next year,drop the system price, and make a game called. Wii Sports: Last Resort. 

Cleaver??

I'm just messin'. I enjoy my Wii U.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

The wii u need a Pokemon or Nintendogs game. But no, Nintendo won't do that. If this is indeed the wii u's last christmas as some claim (Kenny Linder) I will be so disappointed with Nintendo's pathetic fight. However I do not believe that will be the case so enough of that. The wii u will go on.

I am however losing all faith in their management.

Releasing SM3DW the same day as the PS4 launch in Europe is a clear sign Iwata and the rest of them are losing the plot.

And please, none of that nonsense about Nintendo is going after a different type of "gamer". I hate that silly argument. They are not appealing to anyone to be honest.

curl-6 said:
EdHieron said:
curl-6 said:
EdHieron said:

Xbox 360 has already outsold Wii in America and the PS3 is going to outsell Wii in Japan and Europe and with future price cuts probably worldwide.  Fads don't have that longevity.

Neither do consoles, in 95% of cases. It's not that the Wii's lifespan is abnormally short, it's that PS3/360's are abnormally long.

Actually in comparison to these, Wii's life was abnormally short.

Atari 2600 6 Years
NES available 20 years
Genesis 10 Years
Playstation One 12 years
Playstation Two 12 years

Wii is still available today, so in those terms it's at 7 years and counting.

Genesis, PS1, and PS2 were all six years from release to replacement; just like the Wii.

However, Genesis, PS1, and PS2 were still selling well into the lifespans of their successors ( the Majesco version of the Genesis even made it past the Saturn and lasted until 1999 the year Dreamcast came out ).  Has anyone been interested in buying the Wii since 2011 for anything other than Skyward Sword or one of the Operation Rainfall Games?  Note none of the previous console generation winners were soundly trounced in their later years by the consoles they had supposedly beaten as Wii has been. 

EdHieron said:

However, Genesis, PS1, and PS2 were still selling well into the lifespans of their successors ( the Majesco version of the Genesis even made it past the Saturn and lasted until 1999 the year Dreamcast came out ).  Has anyone been interested in buying the Wii since 2011 for anything other than Skyward Sword or one of the Operation Rainfall Games?  Note none of the previous console generation winners were soundly trounced in their later years by the consoles they had supposedly beaten as Wii has been. 

Wii is still selling at the moment, a year after its successor launched.

And it was not trounced, either. 

Around the Network

Someone explain to me how a company thats pushing 700k consoles a week is irrelevant? sure the Wii U sales are suffering but Nintendo in all possible ways to look at is a succesful company.

curl-6 said:
EdHieron said:

So you don't consider being outsold by 12 to 16 Million units over the last ~3 years as being trounced?

EdHieron said:
curl-6 said:
EdHieron said:

So you don't consider being outsold by 12 to 16 Million units over the last ~3 years as being trounced?

Considering it was replaced a year ago, no. While it was a flagship console, before Wii U, it was not getting trounced. Decline following replacement is a natural part of a console's lifespan. We will see it with PS3 and 360 as well.

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

The Wii had its time, and its time is over.

That applies to every successful console ever.

The difference being the "formula" for the Playstation 2 (which really just aped the formula from the SNES mixed with Genesis style marketing) still works today. 

The Wii formula does not, ergo, one is seen as a fad while the other is not (a core gaming console with lots of third party games and an emphasis on software aimed at male teenagers/college students sold at a relatively affordable price).

Nope, the "Wii formula" is repeatable and has been repeated.

DS & Wii's goal was to get people, who normally don't play games, to play. The formula was to keep it simple and easy to pickup. Yes, the 'fad' argument is semantics. But I don't consider it a fad, because other platforms are still carrying on what DS & Wii were about.

The "casual"(don't like that word) gamers didn't simply vanish or dwindle in numbers while Wii tumbled down. They are still gaming and has probably gotten bigger since then. They simply moved on to other platforms that are offering what made Wii a success (simple easy to pick up gaming). A lot of casuals are gaming on mobile, some even bought X360's either for their kids or themselves(kinect).

He did say something that got me thinking, about how back in the day Nintendo systems had some of the best third party games. In fact when we had a SNES in the house we brought it for Street Fighter II Turbo (and played it for hours).

Yet over the years the third parties have games have dwindled

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway