By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Super Mario 3D World Really A Huge Flop?

Tagged games:

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Super Mario 3D world should've never launched anywhere near the PS4 and Xbone launch. Just saying. It hurt them big time.

When should It have launched?

3D Land USA FW-300k on an install base of 2m (15% attach rate), end of 2011-just under 2m on an Install base of just over 4m (almost 50% attach rate)

3D World USA FW-240k on an install base of 1.6m (15% attach rate), Wii U sales will be anywhere between 2-3m by the end of the year in USA so as long as 3D World retains a similar attach ratio as 3D Land then it can sell anywhere between 1-1.5m this year in USA alone.

PS4/One dont launch anytime soon in Japan so thats clearly not the reason for its low sales in that region and we dont have Europe sales yet for 3D World. The only region we have data for 3D World launching near PS4/One is USA and it did very well in that region.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I got the game digitally. And I'm sure quite a lot of people did so too. So I don't think VGC numbers are reliable. In fact, this is going to be a problem for most titles going forward. Where digital sales tracking won't be possible without official numbers from the manufacturers.

Besides, you have to consider the install base. So far, the tie ratio seems to be quite good. Let's hope now that it will manage to sell consoles. All of this being said, Mario games aren't front loaded. They have the greatest of legs.

It will sell more and move few Wii U's but not going to give a big boost and have a great sales considering install Base.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

It will sell fine over time, especially if Nintendo force bundles it next year, but will probably be the lowest selling Mario platformer in Japan in quite some time. I think maybe 500k there LTD. Probably North America too, Mario Sunshine did OK over here.

It's not really an indicment of the game though, it's just that the Wii U market is too weak, and with a Mario platformer already bundled with each new system, it hurts 3D World. Gotta find other ways to sell your freaking system, Nintendo, oversaturating Mario has hurt the franchise. 

Or maybe some people are skint and can't afford to buy it just yet like me.

Around the Network

I am looking to get my copy of the game at Christmas but, all things considered, I reckon the game's done well. Not mega-sales, and not enough to save the Wii U, but more than a decent amount.

The problem is, Nintendo was hoping to pull a 3DS again, but without the added support of Monster Hunter and Mario Kart 7; it was never gonna happen quite that way.

We also need to factor in digital sales in this launch.

I myself bought it digital yesterday in EU. The game is designed to be downloaded with ease. It's just 1.7 GB. A hour and i got it. :)

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

As any game in the US nowadays, it's probably overtracked by a decent margin.

In japan it slightly under performed in regard to its own sales, and flopped in terms of pushing wii U hardware.

Its north american sales are solid, and it will likely see a large hardware boost. North America is where the Wii U has been peforming the best this year. Similar to how in NA the vita looks dead yet in Europe its pushing ok numbers.

Bought this game yesterday when It came out In the UK and Its a brilliant game. Hopefully people will get a chance to try this game If they are on the fence because once you have a go you will be buying this game with your hard earned cash/buck's ;p