By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 UK launch: Sony ready to smash day one sales record, says Gara

PlayStation 4 is launching midnight across Britain, and PlayStation UK boss Fergal Gara reckons the team is poised to smash the company’s fastest-selling sales record set by PSP.

It follows Gara’s explanation as to why full game prices were so steep on PS4′s store. Find out what the rationale is through the link.

Speaking with CVG, Gara said of tonight’s launch, “With PS4, stock allocation in the UK is very healthy indeed and we go into this ready and willing and break our own previous launch record.” Currently PSP, is Sony’s fastest-selling console launch in the UK, with 185,000 consoles sold in four days.

While Sony is keen to surpass its own numbers, Gara stressed that the company isn’t all that fussed about defeating its rival format holders Microsoft and Nintendo. “Beating the competition is not the most important thing here,” he stressed, and added, “There is definitely an ambition to reduce that gap, but first and foremost the ambition is to be the gamers’ choice, and I think one leads to the other. I think we’re doing a great job for the gamer, the market share will follow.

“So we will certainly compete better this time, we’ve certainly got a better shout with a really great machine at such a great price. We’ve entered the cycle on time at the target price, with a great feel-good factor among gamers. The support we’ve had from the community has been humbling.”

He concluded, “Satisfying the gamer is the most important thing, satisfying our shareholders is maybe the second. But if we’re doing both of those things it is likely we’ll be the lead console.”

Do you feel PS4 can set a new record for Sony here in the UK? Let us know what you think below.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/28/ps4-uk-launch-sony-ready-to-smash-day-one-sales-record-says-gara/comment-page-1/

Around the Network

I expected 300k 1st week in UK....I will be close

I'm expecting 200k, there's too much demand for it around Europe that I doubt they will allocate enough in UK.

I expect 289k+

Angelv577 said:
I'm expecting 200k, there's too much demand for it around Europe that I doubt they will allocate enough in UK.

They need to beat the Xbox One in the UK, they don't need to do much to win in Europe so I think they'll prioritise getting stock to the UK over the continent

Around the Network

Originally Posted by ComputerMKII

This article (in French) says that, according to French retailers, it will be nigh-impossible to get a PS4 in France if you haven't pre-ordered, until late february/early march 2014. They'll get more PS4s by Christmas but only for pre-orders.

One retailer says there's gonna be 'war' in brick and mortar stores.

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/39618-un...ent-c-est-mort

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Hopefully they prioritize UK, Sony doesn't have to do that much to win in most of Europe.

Here's hoping at least 250k +

any numbers one the Xbone yet?

]

Munkeh111 said:
Angelv577 said:

They need to beat the Xbox One in the UK, they don't need to do much to win in Europe so I think they'll prioritise getting stock to the UK over the continent

Now that you mention it, i agreed.  US and Uk should be top priority for sony.

Vikki said:
Here's hoping at least 250k +

any numbers one the Xbone yet?

150K for X1_