By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Wii U get discontinued soon??

vextrex said:
Most stupid question ever asked here

thank god you only have 5 posts that means you havent seen many questions on here yet

Around the Network
DevilRising said:

Wii U won't be "discontinued" anytime soon, but hopefully people like you thinking that these non-stop bullshit threads every other day are fresh, bright and original will be. Just saying.

How dare you make fun of toastboy's toasting. Do you know how god damn pretty he is and smert too?

green_sky said:
DevilRising said:

Wii U won't be "discontinued" anytime soon, but hopefully people like you thinking that these non-stop bullshit threads every other day are fresh, bright and original will be. Just saying.

How dare you make fun of toastboy's toasting. Do you know how god damn pretty he is and smert too?

damn straight dawg

toastboy44562 said:

I think it's unwise to buy a Wii U. You never know if it might get discontinued in a year or two..

-Nintendo stopped production on the original Wii (which had similar sales to Wii U at the time) - They had hope that Wii U will sale well and already have projects on the go for it, unlike Wii.

-Each Wii U is sold at a loss while the Wii was sold for profit - Valid point

-Xbox 360/ PS3 are selling better than Wii U despite the older systems being just as expensive - By this metric PS4 could be around its last years and PS5 around the corner considering how PS2 was outselling PS3.

-PS4 and Xbox One just launched - Ah, that's good, I guess. And if you base this around hype, PS3 should be around 200m units sold by now, while Wii and 360 around 15-20m

-Despite new games and a price cut happening Wii U sales haven't really picked up - Valid point. Userbase is out

-Even if the system was cheaper I don't think anyone would buy it, it doesn't have that casual feeling the Wii did - Nothing have the Wii feel, yet PS360, Vita and 3DS are outselling it. Price is only one part of the puzzle.

-Does not play DVDs or blue rays so price can be justified - Neither Wii.

-Tablet controller is weird, if I wanted to use a tablet for gaming I would just buy a samsung tablet or Ipad - Taste. And you have a bad one.

-Same or even less 3rd party support than the GameCube - GameCube had better third party support than the Wii and it failed.

Nintendo themselves aren't even releasing THAT many games for the system. Most are for 3DS (Which is pretty dope btw).

What do you think? Will the Wii U get discontinued in a couple years similar to dreamcast?

There.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

leedlelee said:
Why would they discontinue it when they just started to advertise it???
I've seen more commercials for the Wii U than I've seen for PS4 since the PS4 actually launched...
I haven't seen any Spanish language ads though (I live in New York)...
They might want to consider making some...

Is Spanish such a big deal in USA?

To me the console is just way too expensive. I want it, but I'm not gonna buy it for this price. Nintendo has to do what Sony did with Vita so far and just play the waiting game, wait till the costs of manufacturing it are lower, then cut the price and unlike Sony - keep on pumping AAA games or getting 3rd party exclusives. And not just family friendly stuff, they need more games like X, Bayo 2, Metroid, dark 3D Zelda, etc. so that the core gamers pick Wii U up as a valid second console with must-have core games. But most importantly, they need to reach the $199 sweetspot ASAP, even if it means to take a hit on every console. $249 would be good as well, but this console really is too last gen (inferior to PS360 in many important aspects) to validate a next gen price.

And they also have to expand to other European countries. It is ridiculous that in Poland, in which Sony will easily sell over a million PS4s, there is no Nintendo of Poland and you can't find a Wii U anywhere. Hell, I live in a 1.3 mil aglomeration and there isn't a single store that has a Wii U and only 3 stores sell 3DS! Sony and MS are making money and Nintendo doesn't care at all. Crazy.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network

if you consider 2017 soon, than yes, you're right.

Scisca said:
leedlelee said:
I've seen more commercials for the Wii U than I've seen for PS4 since the PS4 actually launched...

To me the console is just way too expensive. I want it, but I'm not gonna buy it for this price. Nintendo has to do what Sony did with Vita so far and just play the waiting game, wait till the costs of manufacturing it are lower, then cut the price and unlike Sony - keep on pumping AAA games or getting 3rd party exclusives. And not just family friendly stuff, they need more games like X, Bayo 2, Metroid, dark 3D Zelda, etc. so that the core gamers pick Wii U up as a valid second console with must-have core games. But most importantly, they need to reach the $199 sweetspot ASAP, even if it means to take a hit on every console. $249 would be good as well, but this console really is too last gen (inferior to PS360 in many important aspects) to validate a next gen price.

And they also have to expand to other European countries. It is ridiculous that in Poland, in which Sony will easily sell over a million PS4s, there is no Nintendo of Poland and you can't find a Wii U anywhere. Hell, I live in a 1.3 mil aglomeration and there isn't a single store that has a Wii U and only 3 stores sell 3DS! Sony and MS are making money and Nintendo doesn't care at all. Crazy.

Its not that is last generation, is that last generation ports make th wii u underperform

when you port from 360 to wii u there are  many drawbacks

xbox 360 source code only considers 1 mega of cache, only 10 negas of edram, has no l3 cache between cpu and edram and also lacks a dsp so wii u also is forced to use one of the cpu cores for sound instead of using the dsp for that, thats why wii u ports suck so much because last generation platfors limit it, and we still hve to consider the quality of the engine or efven if the developent at least uses a final dev kit

ps4 has no poble with that since has fast and a lot ram and no edram to think on, the developent is easier and straight foward thatr way even with ports, but of course that you cant expect to much fro ports fro last gen to ps4 since they will ust likely end up like asc 4, but if they use the pc as a base then its better tnan using the xbox as the base

ij fact, there is even another huge bottleneck when poying from 360 to wiiu, but i would rather prefer people here to check a post on hd warriors for this

its clear wiiiu could pack  much as 500gigaflops and the bandwidth of the edram should be about 563GB/s, but when you do ports lots of tht potential will be wasted. i can practically confirm this 500gigaflops since wii u gpu die logic without edram+sram+arm+dsp still has enough space for fitting a redwood xt which has 400spus+20tmus+8 rops in 104mm2 at 40nm

wii u gpu alone is about 97mm2, but thats using the chipworks photo as a base, if i were to take a photo to the redwood xt surely the real die size would be about 94mm2. I can safely say this since if you check anantech report, they say that the wii u gpu is 156mm2 while chipwrks photo says 146mm2, i amagin that those 10mm2 should be the cover to protect the gpu from demage, so it also applies to the redwood if a photo was taken

Scisca said:
leedlelee said:

That is Nintendo's big weakness that largely goes unspoken. Sony and Microsoft being much larger companies (as a whole) with much broader consumer bases are going to clean up in the developing world, where Nintendo just doesn't have the time and energy to really build outward into burgeoning places like South America, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East. Hell, they're having enough problems with South Korea so far.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I think they should. How many systems have been sold? 3 million? That's pretty much nothing. Discontinue the system, and then let current owners have the next system for free via Nintendo themselves.

They should just copy Sony as far as features, hardware and controller. Basically, a PS4 that could play Nintendo games. Could you IMAGINE having all of that awesome third party support, standard controls AND Zelda? Omg, too good to be true.

Of course, it'll never happen. But one can dream.

No. but i see Nintendo making a successor as early as 2016 (2017 at the latest). then discontinuing it in 2018.
it will go on to sell less than the Gamecube, and not be nearly as profitable.

it will be the least successful console (home or portable) since Dreamcast. it will have little to no 3rd party support, dated graphics, archaic online system.
the the WiiU replacement will launch in either 2016 or 2017, likely being on par or a bit lower with xbox one graphically.