By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Wii U get discontinued soon??

Jesus I see these all the time. No.
Unless you count in the next 5 years as soon.

Around the Network

I'll be the first person to agree with this guy...

YES!!!

I don't think it will be discontinued, but maybe they will come out with a full fledged tablet with Wii-U hardware within two years. It is a tough dilemma though, let me quote myself(i know that's bad):

'' I have stated many times that Nintendo is facing a tough choice. They can keep their franchises exclusive to a system that faces a limited install base, or sell on other systems and sell way more software but pretty much going third party in the process.

I would like to state a third option though: Release a Nintendo accessoire for other consoles on wich they make a very nice profit and make it a requirement to play Nintendo games. That way they could also still innovate with controls/gameplay but would have a guaranteed large install base to sell software and don't have to risk spending a lot of money on releasing and developing their own console.''

It has been just 1 year since the launch, we still have to see christmas sales and how the nintendo arsenal for 2014 pushes the hardware sales. Pushing a new hardware so soon wouldnt be a good idea, thats why sega no longer is in the hardwarware busniness

Max King of the Wild said:
gotta love thw people saying nochance as if NINTENDO have the sole decision on it. retailers and consumers have equal say and the reality is if sales continue to lag like this retailers will give x1 and ps4 its space giving NINTENDO no choice.

even if sales pick up a little it would still be on GC levels since its drastically behind it at this point.

so 3 scenarios. 1. sales dont pick up and Nintendo discontinues it real fast. 2. sales raise slightly and nintendo introduces a console faster than planned (2015). 3. sales drastically increase ensuring Nintendo to stick it out a bit

There is no chance. Period. Any speculation to the contrary i'm tempted to call intellectually dishonest.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Probably not soon. But im willing to bet the PS3 will Outsell and Outlive it from here on out. Ok maybe just oulive it.

PSP Lifetime more than PSV+3DS Lifetime.

Mr Khan said:

There is no chance. Period. Any speculation to the contrary i'm tempted to call intellectually dishonest.

its dishonest to try and convince people that there is no chance. retailers will gladly remove it from shelves if it continues selling the way it does

You can't be serious..... not every console has to sell like the Wii to be successful. Before the Wii, Nintendo didn't have a home console that sold above 62 million (NES) and yet those other console were still successful. And don't give me that crap about the console user base growing now.

The console gaming user base hasn't grown nearly as much as you think. Nearly half of the consoles bought last gen were bought for purposes other than gaming. Microsoft realized that, hey Xbox One how you doin? That doesn't mean that the console user base isn't growing, it certainly is but not for gaming purposes.

I expect a slight decline in console sales for this gen, I only say slight because consoles aren't being marketed as solely gaming console anymore so the people will flock.

My point being, Wii U is selling less than expected but if history is any indication I wouldn't worry about it. I still expect great games out of it, N64 says hi.

RolStoppable said:

Does your Target still sell Vitas?

no. and only carries 5 vita games.

Oh God! Why do people hate Nintendo so much? What has Nintendo done to all those people? If you don't like it, don't buy it, but why the trashing?

I know people that hate the Wii like a disease and always say that Nintendo games are for children. I don't even take part in those discussions anymore. Nintendo has made very good games throughtout the years and will continue to deliver excellent games.

I don't know many people age but I have very good memories playing Nintendo games on the NES and having the time of my life. I am currently playing Super Mario 3D world and I am enjoying it a lot. I can't wait for the next Mario Kart and Zelda.

To finish, Nintendo is essential to the industry. I can't imagine a generation of consoles without them, it wouldn't be the same. Nintendo for sure will be the last this generation but hey, every generation has a winner and a loser, to say it that way. Last gen, Xbox was the "loser" and anyway many enjoyed it a lot too.