By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kotaku: Installing Xbox One Games Takes Way Too Long

kowenicki said:
adriane23 said:
ethomaz said:

kowenicki said:

Xbox one has play and install.  Its clearly not working with certain games very well for some reason?

Hows that standby mode working out?  Far more relevant in my opinion.  This is a one time problem.  Starting up and waiting for every play thereafter is an every time problem.

I can say xbox on and be signed in and playing the game from exactly where I left it off the night before in about 15 seconds.

Standby works fine on PS4... instead wait ~25 seconds from cold boot you it start in ~5s from Standby mode.

I think he's a little confused. He must be referring to the suspend/resume feature that hasn't been patched in yet. But at least we know it's coming. They're stuck with those install times (probably) for the lifetime of the console

I'm not confused that is exactly what I referring to.    It can't be done on the PS4 yet.  Yes it will probably come but lets see how fast it is.  You will do this thousand and thousands of times.  You will install much, much less.

Standby mode is not the same as suspend/resume mode. You were confused on what the mode is called. The PS4 already has standby mode.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network

"This sounds like an old hardware company that’s comfortable with its market position. That complacent attitude is out of touch with where the industry and consumer is today.” Aaron Greenberg

“Xbox…new home for Grand Theft Auto” (Not anymore)

“Where is the complete 1080p game library we were promised? How come Blu-ray did not result in better games?” Aaron Greenburg

"PS3 is heading south" “"Hemorrhaging At Retail" Aaron Greenburg

And just for this thread my personal favorite.

http://www.vg247.com/2008/04/18/microsoft-slams-gta-iv-ps3-install-time-in-pr-mail/

I’m sure you’ve all seen the chatter from the 1up GTA IV Preview on the PS3 install time….just a few thoughts on what you could do in this time if you were actually playing the 360 version from the moment you insert the disc….
· Steal your first dozen or so cars and test out the improved vehicle handling?
· Check out the cool features on your mobile phone?
· Rack up a 5 Star Wanted Rating?
· Have a blast of your first MP game on Xbox LIVE?
· Ditch the tracksuit chic and buy some new clothes?
· Unlock your first GTA IV Achievement and boost your Gamerscore?
….Or just start downloading a film from Xbox LIVE Video Store to watch later – check out the latest batch of arrivals this weekend!

Gotta love it when arrogance gets shoved in your face, enjoy your crow this gen Microsoft. :)

adriane23 said:

Standby mode is not the same as suspend/resume mode. You were confused on what the mode is called. The PS4 already has standby mode.

I think Sony needs works more in the suspend/resume feature because I guess it is slower than Standby + Load Game... You play Killzone for example in less than 30 seconds starting from StandBy.

The OS/features are really fast.

kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:
Cerny fantastic feature Play & Install.

Xbox one has play and install.  Its clearly not working with certain games very well for some reason?

Hows that standby mode working out?  Far more relevant in my opinion.  This is a one time problem.  Starting up and waiting for every play thereafter is an every time problem. 

I can say xbox on and be signed in and playing the game from exactly where I left it off the night before in about 15 seconds. 

at bolded. my PS4 has a standby mode, or am i missing something?

shikamaru317 said:
Strange, I've heard that the game installs are quite fast from people I know who own the Xbox One. I wonder if Kotaku has a problem with their Xbox One.

Kotaku tested only Multiplatform games... not first-party.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

adriane23 said:

I think Sony needs works more in the suspend/resume feature because I guess it is slower than Standby + Load Game... You play Killzone for example in less than 30 seconds starting from StandBy.

The OS/features are really fast.

Yeah, I can wait for them to get it right rather than throw it in only to have to update it later. And hopefully all games go the route of no (or at least minimal) splash screens like Killzone did.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

So why should I buy the XO? Entertainment system lacks, games look worse, kinect still doesnt work, snap feature sucks (heard that 50hz60hz fail in europe?), games are polluted with microtransactions.

But oh, it recognise me when I hold the controller. Truly a 'system from the future'.

kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
Dat moment when you realize PS4 is on average 30x faster than Xbone at installing.

ouch

Can you start up your ps4 and tell me how long it takes for you to be signed in and start playing a game from the previous day save  for me please?

takes 15 seconds on the ONE. 

Genuine question.

from the time i pressed the PS button on the controller, until i was in a level in Killzone took 43 seconds. 

it took 25 seconds just for system to turn back on, but it only took 18 seconds from the point of clicking on killzone to get into the campaign level.

kowenicki said:
There is something off here, other site are giving massively different times.

Off topic Kowen, are you getting a PS4? If so, Friday or at a later date. I remember you saying you put the money aside thanks to sony shares.

Option- said:
So why should I buy the XO?

If you have no interest in exclusives on or coming to Xbox One, then don't get a Xbox One.

I probably won't get a PS4 for years because Sony exclusives aren't my top priority.

Most people don't buy every game machine.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)