By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kotaku: Installing Xbox One Games Takes Way Too Long

Arcturus said:
Sh1nn said:

We tested six multiplatform games on both consoles and every time, the PS4 was under a minute while the Xbox One install was several minutes long and required downloading an update before beginning the installation.

If there is an update for a PS4 game, how is this handled? Does it download in the background while the game is installing? Or does it allow you to play the game while the update is being downloaded?

Yeah the update starts downloading the instant the disc is inserted. If it downloads fast enough it's installed before you start playing. Otherwise you can play the game's offline modes until the patch is ready. Restart the game and it's instant.

Around the Network

Arcturus said:

If there is an update for a PS4 game, how is this handled? Does it download in the background while the game is installing? Or does it allow you to play the game while the update is being downloaded?

You play while the updateis being downloaded... the only restriction is that you can't play online... just offline.

Kind of funny how the tables have turned. Can this be patched somehow because some of these times are pretty long.

adriane23 said:
It seems like only yesterday, when 360 fans were making fun of SONY fans for mandatory installs and updates before each game could be played.

everything they said is all coming back onto them, watch as the years go by itl get much much worse for them

PS4 is the gamers consoles hands down

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

kowenicki said:

Xbox one has play and install.  Its clearly not working with certain games very well for some reason?

Hows that standby mode working out?  Far more relevant in my opinion.  This is a one time problem.  Starting up and waiting for every play thereafter is an every time problem.

I can say xbox on and be signed in and playing the game from exactly where I left it off the night before in about 15 seconds.

Standby works fine on PS4... instead wait ~25 seconds from cold boot you it start in ~5s from Standby mode.

The Instant/Play Resume feature will be added in a future update but the PS4 play games in less than 30 seconds... so 5 seconds to start from Standby + 11 seconds (for Killzone for example) you have less than 20s to start to play.

PS4 is amazing fast in OS and Game functions.

Around the Network
Arcturus said:
Sh1nn said:

We tested six multiplatform games on both consoles and every time, the PS4 was under a minute while the Xbox One install was several minutes long and required downloading an update before beginning the installation.

"On PS4, after inserting a disc, you'll be shown a progress bar that ends when you're able to launch the game, and if there's a day-one update, it downloads in the background, and you can install it when you want to play online or whatever the case may be for that update."

I hate installs, so it's nice how fast the PS4 installs

That's basically the time it takes me to put the box back in the shelf and sit down

kowenicki said:

how long does it take?  restart, sign ii, then into the game exactly where you left off.

Depends of the game.

Killzone is less than 20 seconds to start to play... ~5s from StandBy + 11s from start the game to menu screen + however you wast to say "PlayStation Start Killzone" or navigate in the menu.

ethomaz said:

kowenicki said:

Xbox one has play and install.  Its clearly not working with certain games very well for some reason?

Hows that standby mode working out?  Far more relevant in my opinion.  This is a one time problem.  Starting up and waiting for every play thereafter is an every time problem.

I can say xbox on and be signed in and playing the game from exactly where I left it off the night before in about 15 seconds.

Standby works fine on PS4... instead wait ~25 seconds from cold boot you it start in ~5s from Standby mode.

I think he's a little confused. He must be referring to the suspend/resume feature that hasn't been patched in yet. But at least we know it's coming. They're stuck with those install times (probably) for the lifetime of the console

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Those install times are steeeeeeeeep

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5