By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If you do not like a game, do you push through until the end, or quit?

In most cases, I buy games just to own it. I play a game for a brief moment, and move on to the next. Sometimes, I don't even get to open it. With that sais, the only game I've ever sold because I bought it out of hype and/or solidarity was Lair. The other game I was close to selling was DC vs Mortal Kombat. I only kept it because I'm a fan of both Scorpion and, of course, Batman.

Around the Network

I tend to push through to the end, though it's never worth.....that was pretty much 80% of my gaming of this gen.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Depends, there have been some games that I liked or were OK but I still never finished, and there were some crappy games that for whatever reason I forced myself through.

Here are some notable "good" games that I just never got around to finishing, usually because of boredom...

Splinter Cell 1
Kingdom Hearts 2
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Advance Wars
Golden Sun (I really should go back to this one)
Metroid: Other M
Final Fantasy VII
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood... I just can't f*cking beat Death! ARRGHH!!!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Depends on the length of the game and what kind of suckiness we're talking about. In some cases (Assassin's Creed, The Conduit) I beat the game so I can mark it off as complete and forget about it's existence asap. In other cases (Lair) where the terribleness is beyond reason I just quit with no regrets.

No, if I don't finish a game it's usually because either 1. A new game came out that I'm currently playing over that game or 2. The game is good but I just fail to get into the story that is being offered (for example Ni No Kuni).

Around the Network
Farsala said:
I only have like 30 games but I still end up quitting it if I do not like it, which is why I try to buy games that I know I will like. I pretty much beat 70% of my games and have a pile of the "do not play" games and a stack of "Play in this order" games.

One game that I disliked and played to the end is FFXIII, I just could not accept what had happened. But I still kept going on.

I quit the first infamous early because I thought it was just a decent game and deleted it off my HD and never got back to it. Love the 2nd infamous though.

Diablo 3 for awhile. Beat it on the first 2 difficulties, could not go on after that.

Skyrim, did not beat it but got good playtime and some fun from it.

Darksiders, thought it was decent game, fun in some parts boring in others. I got stuck at a part where you got to throw something to bounce off something blah blah blah. Got so angry that this was randomly in the game that I deleted it off my HD and did not even bother wasting time to see how to get past it.

World of Warcraft, despite spending 1000s of hours on this game I could not beat it :(. (JK guys lol)

Your going to have to make me hunt you down aren't you?

Quit. My time is too valuable.

4 ≈ One

Batman Arkham Origins is the only Batman game I've elected not to Platinum. I couldn't sit through Fable 3. I played the original Bioshock and couldnt sit through it because the controls sucked.

If the game has a good reputation and is critically acclaimed I'll often push through, and most of the time it pays off for games that have a slow start, something just clicks and off you go. However there are still many cases where I push on and at the end am just relieved it's over.

Nice thread! Yes, I feel the same way - quitting seems wrong, but you have to weigh the time you could be spending playing a fun game.

Some of the games I quit:

KH-DDD: Agree with you fully, the story was just nonsensical if you haven't played the previous KH, the combat was repetitive and that annoying combat music just started to get on my nerves.

BioShock: Found the idea of Rapture just too unbelievable - can't immerse myself if I'm not sold on the premise. The FPS mechanics were also quite poor - the gun was held to high, obscuring too much of the visuals (I played on PC in 4:3 aspect ratio, maybe this problem was better in 16:9 but I doubt that it could save the game for me).

NFS Hot Pursuit on Wii: I think the performance of the Wii made some of the time-controlled missions simply impossible, or at least very very difficult. Still, it was a fun game, and since I rented it, did not mind not finishing it in the end.

Zelda OOT 3DS: Although I enjoyed the game, I encountered a bug that prevented me from continuing about 10 hours in. No way I'm replaying 10 hours - it was fun but not THAT much fun.

Batman Arkham City (Wii U): I think the game is good, but I simply do not enjoy the Batmas universe. Same thing as BioShock I suppose. I also played it at a time when there was a lot of other stuff going on - it just sort of fizzled out for me. I think I'm about halfway in the game, but can't find the motivation to continue now.

Honourable mention:

MGS Snake Eater 3DS: I AMOST gave up on the game during the boss-fight with The End. It just seemed impossible - I tried it for like 20 times and never even saw the guy before being taken out. Then I left it for a few weeks, and came back - and found that by pure luck I stumbled upom him ZZZZ-ing away, and could get enough shots in to end it. It would have been a pity if I gave up, because the rest of the game was really really awesome.