By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What JRPG has the best story?

think-man said:
Michael-5 said:
think-man said:

All suikodens in the main series are tide together, character re appear and story continues. You should play it.

I have a question for you. So I went out and bought Suikoden 1, 3-5, Tactics and the DS one. I didn't buy 2 (yet) because it's expensive, and I want to beat 1 first to make sure I like it enough to spend $100 or so.

So my question is, how do you advise tackling this series? Is it best played by release order (1-5, then the spin offs), or is there a better order to play? Would it be a big deal if I loved 1 and skipped 2? What if I played the DS installment first?

Yeah play them in order, The DS version has nothing to do with the main series, Suikoden 1 is good but its leagues behind 2. If you don't end up liking them you can sell them all to me if you want ^^ But yeh it wouldnt be that big of a deal if you played them in any order, its just that there is a lot of lore and wars that will make alot more sense if you did though. But make sure you play 1 before 2 because 2 makes references to 1 :P

Play 1 and then 2. Playing 1 before 2 will make the beginning of 2 unforgettable. 

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Michael-5 said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Michael-5 said:

I think the biggest problem with Persona for me was that I don't like Dungeon Crawlers, and given the opportunity to push forward and really challenge myself I will. So with Persona, I can't go up 5 levels and not reach a checkpoint, I hate replaying levels (i.e. grinding) so I'm the type of person who gets to the end of the allowed stage.

This causes a problem for the game because not only are the AI annoying when they keep telling me to go to the tower (even though I'm not allowed to advance), but the fact that I can't skip the whole high school sim part is really annoying.

I also really hate the high school sim part, a lot of the design choices I just don't agree with, and I find it repetative. Like why is there no social benefit gained by slacking off in class? Why can't I make my character a whore (PSP version I played)? Why can't I make rude comments, etc.

So, while the gameplay itself is fun, the genre (Dungeon Crawler and High School Sim) really kill it for me. I wouldn't have minded it if I could just fly up the tower (I played on Hard, which still feels too easy), and skip repetative, uneventful days, but I can't.....

---

I'm more into traditional JRPG's I find, that or WRPG's which emphasis lots of choice. In general, I don't find that I enjoy what I call "Modern" JRPG's like Persona and The World Ends With You. However, it's like you said different strokes for different blokes.

I feel 8 hours was enough to judge weather or not I like the gameplay mechanics in this game, maybe it gets better after 10-15 or 30 hours, but it's still a Dungeon Crawler/High School Dating game. I do have to give it credit for great voice acting and animations, it really makes me want to like this game.

The Social Sim part of Persona has it's flaws, but I won't deny it being well made. It's actually because of Persona that I'm interested in Atlus's other projects (stuff like Catherine). In Catherine, I loved the dating sim aspect of the game, and it's one of my favorite games because of it. The decisions you made were still very black & white (cheat or not), but either way, the voice acting, art style, and events that are out of your control still made the game very interesting.

Atlus is an interesting developer, I'll give them that. So outside of Persona, and SMT (also in general dungeon crawlers) I will pay attention to what they make next. As for Persona, I don't want to just go home every day in Persona, I know I need to build stats, and that's a big flaw in the game IMO. I feel like if I did this, I would skip out on a lot of the game, it feels half-assed if I did this.

To each their own, right? I know a lot of JRPG's repeat the same formula, but when I'm bored of the classic JRPG's, I'd much rather play Catherine, or a WRPG like Fallout.

Haha no problem man. I loved Catherine as well. If not anything else, I think we can both agree on the fact that Atlus makes unique games. That's the reason why I have so much respect for them as a company.

think-man said:

Yeah play them in order, The DS version has nothing to do with the main series, Suikoden 1 is good but its leagues behind 2. If you don't end up liking them you can sell them all to me if you want ^^ But yeh it wouldnt be that big of a deal if you played them in any order, its just that there is a lot of lore and wars that will make alot more sense if you did though. But make sure you play 1 before 2 because 2 makes references to 1 :P

Does it make a difference if I play on my PSP or TV? I love SRPG's on handhelds, ever since Advance Wars/Fire Emblem released on GBA this became my favorite franchise, but I find it difficult to play on the TV.

Ajax said:
Play 1 and then 2. Playing 1 before 2 will make the beginning of 2 unforgettable. 

Looks like I'll be broke next year, oh well.

---

P.S. Has anyone played Panzer Dragoon Saga here?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

UltimateUnknown said:

Haha no problem man. I loved Catherine as well. If not anything else, I think we can both agree on the fact that Atlus makes unique games. That's the reason why I have so much respect for them as a company.

I agree, while I might not like Dungeon Crawlers, Atlus does provide that artistic touch that this industry sorely needs. I just hope Sega (new owners) doesn't ruin them.

Then again, Sega has published a lot of amazing niche games in the past. Vanquish, Bayonetta, Valkyrie Chronicles, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Skies of Arcadia, Shining Force, etc.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Ajax said:
exdeath said:

God I miss those days when consoles weren't powerful enough to do first person shooters.

Doom, GoldenEye, Medal of Honor. All quite of the era of Xenogears. All 3 some of the best games ever made. Thats when all that fps stuff got started. But I understand what you mean.

That's also when FPS games were still interesting and fresh. Now they're more stale than Chuck Norris facts. Like Chuck Norris facts, legions of wannabe cool loser-dude-bro-virgins still think they're like the awesomest thing ever.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
think-man said:

Does it make a difference if I play on my PSP or TV? I love SRPG's on handhelds, ever since Advance Wars/Fire Emblem released on GBA this became my favorite franchise, but I find it difficult to play on the TV.

Ajax said:

Looks like I'll be broke next year, oh well.

---

P.S. Has anyone played Panzer Dragoon Saga here?

Suikoden has battle that are similar too Fire Emblem in certain parts of the game, and they are heavily entertaining, Play it on either :)

Anyone in here a Breath of Fire 3 fan? I always liked the story of that game for some reason.

Best story for me in a game has to be either that, Mother 3, Xenogears, Xenoblade, Tales of Symphonia, Radiant Historia, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger. So many good games. :)

Estelle and Adol... best characters ever! XD

Zelhawks37 said:

Anyone in here a Breath of Fire 3 fan? I always liked the story of that game for some reason.

Best story for me in a game has to be either that, Mother 3, Xenogears, Xenoblade, Tales of Symphonia, Radiant Historia, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger. So many good games. :)

Good taste.

Zelhawks37 said:

ME! I love BoF III ^__^ I  play it back in the PS1 days more than 15 years ago & I still remember what an awesome experience was & how enjoyable was every moment of it still to this day one of my all time favorite games but I put games like FFVII, Xenogears & Suikoden II above BoF III I love it but it's not better than those games I mention but this doesn't mean it's not an amazing game because it is :)

FF6, FF10, Chrono Cross, Valkyria Chronicles, Xenogears and many more PS1 stuff