By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What JRPG has the best story?

ChrolloLucilfer said:
ishiki said:

Parasite Eve is mine. Though there are some where I like the worlds and characters considerably more.

The first one. The second and the third birthday didn't even have good ones IMO nor are they JRPGs in any sense. (tho I liked t3b and not the second one.)

I would probably go with Parasite Eve as well. Being actually based off a novel and not falling into the many standard tropes of JRPG genre helped the storyline to be more unique than the standard JRPG fare.

I played the game for an hour and got stuck after a specific event (I don't know where to go!) so I put it down and haven't played it in nearly 10 years now....I kinda want to try it again, so much on PS1 I want to play. F*** the PS4, I'm going to play PS1 disks on my PS3.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Scisca said:
Can you play Xenogears on Vita?

You can play XenoGears on PSP if you mod it.

Not sure about Vita, but damn......I own every game mentioned on this thread, but only played half of them....I gotta get into the PS1 era of JRPG's.

Sony should do its utmost to remake all these jRPGs the same way SE has been remaking their old FF games and put all these titles on Vita. That would be awesome and wouldn't cost them much.

Pity I don't have a PSP Maybe I should get one?

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Michael-5 said:
ChrolloLucilfer said:
ishiki said:

Parasite Eve is mine. Though there are some where I like the worlds and characters considerably more.

The first one. The second and the third birthday didn't even have good ones IMO nor are they JRPGs in any sense. (tho I liked t3b and not the second one.)

I would probably go with Parasite Eve as well. Being actually based off a novel and not falling into the many standard tropes of JRPG genre helped the storyline to be more unique than the standard JRPG fare.

I played the game for an hour and got stuck after a specific event (I don't know where to go!) so I put it down and haven't played it in nearly 10 years now....I kinda want to try it again, so much on PS1 I want to play. F*** the PS4, I'm going to play PS1 disks on my PS3.

Do it!

Then you can clearly see, that is if you haven´t already, how far Square has fallen.They were a company able to release their RPGs every year:

FFVII - 1997

Xenogears - 1998

FFVIII - 1999

FFIX - 2000

FFX - 2001

Now they are completely inept at releasing games on a reasonable time frame.Just look how long the FFX remaster is taking, and that isn´t even a real remake!

F0X said:
Michael-5 said:
F0X said:
weaveworld said:

So sad... All these incredible games mentioned in this thread and nothing in the Ps3 era to make up for it (honorable mention to Nier and Valkyria Chronicles) besides PSN golden oldies!

I agree - Nier's story is one of the best in recent memory. And the soundtrack is quite good, too.

Bleh....compared to Drakengard, Nier was trash. I bought the game, ignoring the reviews, but I have to say....outside of Emil's story-arch (which is awesome, especially his cutscenes), the plot was bland.

I don't agree at all. Are you aware of what happens during subsequent playthroughs?

I have unlocked all 4 endings, and that's actually one reason why I hated it. You literally play the second half of the game 3 times, and just face a couple different bosses.

In Drakengard, the 2nd-5th playthrough are all different. They return you to different places in the story, have you progress down different levels (most taking place after the 1st ending of the game), and has so much more of a psychological twist.

I mean, in Drakengard Inuart doesn't even play a major role in the 1st campaign, but in the second-fifth campaign, you find out he also has a pact with a Dragon, and he's obsessed about Furiae. Plus when she commits suicide, he revives her and she becomes some twisted Flying god-like angel thing and kills him! That's more f***ed up then anything in Nier.

Just wikipedia the endings, they are so much more f***ed up then anything in Nier. They aren't like the good or bad endings in Nier, it's so much more complicated then just making a different decision.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
F0X said:
Michael-5 said:

Bleh....compared to Drakengard, Nier was trash. I bought the game, ignoring the reviews, but I have to say....outside of Emil's story-arch (which is awesome, especially his cutscenes), the plot was bland.

I don't agree at all. Are you aware of what happens during subsequent playthroughs?

I have unlocked all 4 endings, and that's actually one reason why I hated it. You literally play the second half of the game 3 times, and just face a couple different bosses.

In Drakengard, the 2nd-5th playthrough are all different. They return you to different places in the story, have you progress down different levels (most taking place after the 1st ending of the game), and has so much more of a psychological twist.

I mean, in Drakengard Inuart doesn't even play a major role in the 1st campaign, but in the second-fifth campaign, you find out he also has a pact with a Dragon, and he's obsessed about Furiae. Plus when she commits suicide, he revives her and she becomes some twisted Flying god-like angel thing and kills him! That's more f***ed up then anything in Nier.

Just wikipedia the endings, they are so much more f***ed up then anything in Nier. They aren't like the good or bad endings in Nier, it's so much more complicated then just making a different decision.

That's all well and good, but when I praise Nier's story, I praise two aspects in particular:

1. The Sacrifice ending. And I'm far from the only person who thought that ending was genius. 
2. The second playthrough could effectively be named "Nier, You Bastard!", because of the Shadow of the Colossus-like player guilting that goes on the whole time.

I'm personally fine with Nier not being so "f***ed up", because this also means that Nier's story didn't lose me with any sort of contrived ridiculousness. The point was to tug at the heartstrings, and I firmly believe Nier did it better than most RPGs that came out in recent memory.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Michael-5 said:

I think the biggest problem with Persona for me was that I don't like Dungeon Crawlers, and given the opportunity to push forward and really challenge myself I will. So with Persona, I can't go up 5 levels and not reach a checkpoint, I hate replaying levels (i.e. grinding) so I'm the type of person who gets to the end of the allowed stage.

This causes a problem for the game because not only are the AI annoying when they keep telling me to go to the tower (even though I'm not allowed to advance), but the fact that I can't skip the whole high school sim part is really annoying.

I also really hate the high school sim part, a lot of the design choices I just don't agree with, and I find it repetative. Like why is there no social benefit gained by slacking off in class? Why can't I make my character a whore (PSP version I played)? Why can't I make rude comments, etc.

So, while the gameplay itself is fun, the genre (Dungeon Crawler and High School Sim) really kill it for me. I wouldn't have minded it if I could just fly up the tower (I played on Hard, which still feels too easy), and skip repetative, uneventful days, but I can't.....

---

I'm more into traditional JRPG's I find, that or WRPG's which emphasis lots of choice. In general, I don't find that I enjoy what I call "Modern" JRPG's like Persona and The World Ends With You. However, it's like you said different strokes for different blokes.

I feel 8 hours was enough to judge weather or not I like the gameplay mechanics in this game, maybe it gets better after 10-15 or 30 hours, but it's still a Dungeon Crawler/High School Dating game. I do have to give it credit for great voice acting and animations, it really makes me want to like this game.

Yeah if you don't like dungeon crawlers and grinding, then Persona isn't for you. That's the essence of Persona.

It is unfortunate though that you didn't like the social sim aspect of it because the games are best known for that unique blend. I can definitely see why you thought the game was boring though because the point is that you are meant to balance going up the tower with your character's stat and relationship build up in real life. If you do one or the other exclusively, you are not only going to find it boring, but also run into trouble later on in the game. Personally I thought almost every character you could have a social link with had something very interesting to share and taught you some kind of real world moral. By the end of all of their segments, you overcame some kind of hurdle and really got to know and learn from them. This led me to have almost the opposite effect to what you had where I felt like I wanted to keep doing more social links (or build my character's stats to access more social links) and started ignoring the tower climbing. It was once I played the game a bit more that I realised the balance that you need to overcome the challenge later on.

You see, if you wanted to, you can actually skip the days, ignore the social links and move forward to the end of the month in 10-15 minutes time if you wanted to. That would allow you to push the story forward as well as unlock newer floors of the tower. All you have to do is just return straight home after school and just go to sleep in your room, which essentially skips the day. Although this doesn't affect you in the beginning of the game, later on you wouldn't be able to keep up with the increased challenge in Tartarus, which has a steep increase. This is because your persona level up more the higher the corresponding social link level is. So if you have really low social link levels, your fused persona levels will be extremely low, leading to you being destroyed in battle, or alternatively requiring you to do an inhumane amount of grinding.

So yeah, all in all, I don't think Persona is the type of game that'll suit you. It turns into very much like a Pokemon game where you are trying to get the best critter (Persona) ombination and give them the best moves strategically possible. So yeah, I think I've ranted way too much. Funny enough, I loved TWEWY as well. Another amazing game. Both games to me were breaths of fresh air. While I love the classic JRPG formula, these changed things up quite a bit.

Michael-5 said:
ChrolloLucilfer said:
ishiki said:

I would certainty recommend to give another go even after all this time. If you get stuck again theirs always Gamefaq to help you out :)

JGarret said:
Michael-5 said:

Do it!

Then you can clearly see, that is if you haven´t already, how far Square has fallen.They were a company able to release their RPGs every year:

FFVII - 1997

Xenogears - 1998

FFVIII - 1999

FFIX - 2000

FFX - 2001

Now they are completely inept at releasing games on a reasonable time frame.Just look how long the FFX remaster is taking, and that isn´t even a real remake!

I will, but I'm not going to beat all these gems next year. I'm going to savour them.

Also I think Chrono Cross was a better game for 2001 then FFX, and there are more gems then you mention. Heck between 1993-2003 there must be well over 30 quality JRPG's from Squaresoft, and Square Enix (I did love Drakengard and Front Mission 4 from 2003, which are Square Enix).

You're going to laugh, but I still have yet to beat Secret of Mana/Evermore, FF IV-IX, Chrono Cross, Suikoden 1-5, XenoGears, Front Mission 3, Breath of Fire 1-4, Vagrant Story, Grandia 1-3, Skies of Arcadia, Legend of Dragoon/Legendia, Shadow Hearts 1-3, Ogre Battle 64, Tactics Ogre (PS1 & SNES) and Panzer Dragoon Saga. I think you'll agree these are literally the best of the best JRPG's....

That's not to say I haven't beaten some of the best like Chrono Trigger, SMRPG, FFX, Paper Mario, Baten Kaitos, Valkyrie Profile, Lost Odyssey, Front Mission 1 & 4, Radiant History, etc......but man, I have so much to look forward to. When I owned a PS1, I wasn't into JRPG's, so I skipped over almost all of them, and even on the PS2/SNES, I still have a lot to beat.

ChrolloLucilfer said:
Michael-5 said:
ChrolloLucilfer said:

Parasite Eve

I would certainty recommend to give another go even after all this time. If you get stuck again theirs always Gamefaq to help you out :)

I know, I know!!! When I owned a PS1 I was only into Gran Turismo and Twisted Metal. I've missed out on so many games!

But.....that just means I have so much to look forward to. For PS1, with respect to Japanese games, I've only half beaten FFVII, and that's it. I've literally missed the entire system, and now that I own every gem for this console, and have a PS3/PSP to play them on.....I have a lot to look forward to.

Scisca said:
Michael-5 said:
Scisca said:
Can you play Xenogears on Vita?

You can play XenoGears on PSP if you mod it.

Not sure about Vita, but damn......I own every game mentioned on this thread, but only played half of them....I gotta get into the PS1 era of JRPG's.

Sony should do its utmost to remake all these jRPGs the same way SE has been remaking their old FF games and put all these titles on Vita. That would be awesome and wouldn't cost them much.

Pity I don't have a PSP Maybe I should get one?

Yes because it literally takes 5-10 minutes to softmod it (meaning that you have a stock PSP and have to boot the custom firmware which plays PSP games every time you turn the system on), and where I live (Canada) it's legal to play PS1 games on PSP so long as you own the PS1 disk. Some games, just are so amazing on PSP. Front Mission 3 for instance is just much more enjoyable on PSP then on a big screen.

Plus, PSP has a lot of remakes too! If you want to play the original Star Ocean for instance, you can only play it as a PSP remake. Plus with Star Ocean 2, Lunar, FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, etc, and new JRPG's like Crisis Core, Valkyria Chronicles, The 3rd Birthday, etc PSP is literally the best system ever when it comes to JRPG's.

Plus since GBA and PSP have the same screen dimensions and resolution, GBA games play perfectly on PSP. Some PS1 games don't work well on PSP (XenoGears being an example) because PSP just has enough power to emulate them, and that one really pushed the PS1.

Michael-5 said:
JGarret said:
Michael-5 said:

Do it!

FFVII - 1997

Xenogears - 1998

FFVIII - 1999

FFIX - 2000

FFX - 2001

I will, but I'm not going to beat all these gems next year. I'm going to savour them.

Also I think Chrono Cross was a better game for 2001 then FFX, and there are more gems then you mention. Heck between 1993-2003 there must be well over 30 quality JRPG's from Squaresoft, and Square Enix (I did love Drakengard and Front Mission 4 from 2003, which are Square Enix).

You're going to laugh, but I still have yet to beat Secret of Mana/Evermore, FF IV-IX, Chrono Cross, Suikoden 1-5, XenoGears, Front Mission 3, Breath of Fire 1-4, Vagrant Story, Grandia 1-3, Skies of Arcadia, Legend of Dragoon/Legendia, Shadow Hearts 1-3, Ogre Battle 64, Tactics Ogre (PS1 & SNES) and Panzer Dragoon Saga. I think you'll agree these are literally the best of the best JRPG's....

That's not to say I haven't beaten some of the best like Chrono Trigger, SMRPG, FFX, Paper Mario, Baten Kaitos, Valkyrie Profile, Lost Odyssey, Front Mission 1 & 4, Radiant History, etc......but man, I have so much to look forward to. When I owned a PS1, I wasn't into JRPG's, so I skipped over almost all of them, and even on the PS2/SNES, I still have a lot to beat.

You´ve got lots and lots of games to play and savour.During the 5th generation, I was a bit different, as it was when I got into RPGs, while you skipped over them.

It´s sad, with SquareEnix being shit for a long time (my opinion), and with the JRPG genre as a whole being relegated to handhelds (I don´t really enjoy handhelds, though perhaps I´ll give the 3DS a try), the genre is more of a happy memory to me, than something to get excited about nowadays :(

Anyway, happy gaming!