By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda U should be top down

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Mr Khan said:
It would be almost worth it just to see the meltdowns.

Wii U holiday 2014 blockbuster: Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks 2: Ghost Zelda's Quest

LOL, that would be pretty funny to see. Although I will say that Spirit Tracks' Zelda was one of the best in any game. She was a riot.

@OP: if one of the two original Zelda games on Wii U was top down, I would be OK with it, as long as the other took place in a fully-realized three-dimensional world. My personal preference would be that top-down 2D Zelda games remain on 3DS, but in the end the game will probably be great no matter the perspective or dimension.

I agree. Ignored over all the (admittedly well-deserved) noise about trains being unessential for Zelda, they pulled off some of the best writing in any Zelda game to date, arguably laying the grounds for Zelda's more down-to-earth and proactive characterization in Skyward Sword.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Top down on the Game Pad and 3rd person on the screen with the option to switch.

More games need to do this sort of thing, the chnage in perspective would be awesome.  Imagine and third person shooter ont he big screen, which also happens to be an rts on the pad?  That's the sort of thing I NEED on the Wii U.

What if they mixed the 3D with the overtop down/2Dish? Remember those 2D stages in Mario Galaxy?
Thye could have some places where the game could play in another point of view.

No, 3D all the way!

I don't think Nintendo should adopt a 2D top down approach with Zelda on Wii U, I think it's important they keep their handheld and home console games distinct if they want to be able to sell two lines of hardware. I also think it's better for the franchise if Zelda plays to the strength of the hardware it's on; the 60fps, top-down approach works beautifully with 3DS's stereoscopic 3D, and I think something would be lost in the transition to Wii U. That being said, I certainly don't see why there can't be top-down sections in Zelda U, perhaps they could take place on the gamepad screen?

I think what Nintendo can take from A Link Between Worlds into Zelda U is the commitment to a faster paced, far less linear Zelda that has more in common with The Legend of Zelda (1986) than it does Ocarina of Time. Narrative light, non-linear dungeon progression, side-quests and mysteries. I keep saying this when the topic comes up, but make it dangerous to go alone: if you switch off Miiverse, for example, you miss out on hints and warnings. If you keep Miiverse on, other heroes can leave messages and warnings in your game. Nothing overt, perhaps supply a basic Hylian alphabet and allow players to construct different messages from that, and perhaps use drawings. Have a choice of difficulties from the beginning. Miiverse feeds into this: use it a lot, and you have the hand-holding that Fi etc bring into Zelda, use it lightly or not at all, and you are closer to the older experience of Zelda.

With respects to story, I'd like to see Nintendo veer away from what they have been doing and what the majority of the console industry is doing: cinematic, scripted, dialogue heavy narrative. Allow me to play the story through the architecture, puzzles and monsters of the dungeons, the music, environments and mechanics of the game world. Do things with Zelda that only videogames can do. That's what made the first game so revolutionary. If the act of playing the game from moment to moment is immersive on the strength of the world, the dungeons, the enemies, the music, the mechanics, you can supply a far more powerful story than you can with written cut scenes and cinematic motion capture. Provide a story that is experienced, and not told.

Oh, and return Ganon to a mix of Twilight Princess and his early pig demon days. Something horrific and demigod esque in a flaming skull form, and some kind of genuinely huge, monsterous demon form.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Twilord said:
Dv8thwonder said:
@Twilord I could give a rat's ass on how you feel about my attitude. Your opinion doesn't negate the cold hard facts that 3D Zelda is why the series remains relevant in the home console space.

Wind Waker is kiddie bullshit and should be seen as such. Aonuma has neutered modern Zelda fans with his pretentiousness for far too long. Ironically, I don't think he has the balls to create anything of value to Nintendo as a developer. He is a hack.

I fully agree that 3D Zelda is vital to home consoles. But come on man, you know your opinion is no more a reflection of reality than me, because what is best for Zelda is subjective. I mean do you know how many people love Wind-Waker? It wasn't remade because it was hated. ;)

Sorry for being so aggressive with you, it bugs me alot when people are pushing their way as the only way. I mean TP is down there with Zelda II on my least favorite Zelda's for example but I wouldn't say you're wrong for wanting an upgraded version of that style.

it was remade because it was the easiest one to remake. Its essentially an HD port. the last two 3d zeldas are too new, they already put OOT on 3ds and MM would have been to difficult

I am not saying the timelessness of the cartoon art style wasn't the easiest to port. But even so it wouldn't have been ported if it weren't adored by so many people. His attacks on it were annoying me because I know there are a good number of people who rank it above OoT, much like MM and ALTTP are. Not that OoT isn't ranked highest by the most ofcourse.

Twilord said:
oniyide said:
Twilord said:
Dv8thwonder said:
@Twilord I could give a rat's ass on how you feel about my attitude. Your opinion doesn't negate the cold hard facts that 3D Zelda is why the series remains relevant in the home console space.

Wind Waker is kiddie bullshit and should be seen as such. Aonuma has neutered modern Zelda fans with his pretentiousness for far too long. Ironically, I don't think he has the balls to create anything of value to Nintendo as a developer. He is a hack.

I fully agree that 3D Zelda is vital to home consoles. But come on man, you know your opinion is no more a reflection of reality than me, because what is best for Zelda is subjective. I mean do you know how many people love Wind-Waker? It wasn't remade because it was hated. ;)

Sorry for being so aggressive with you, it bugs me alot when people are pushing their way as the only way. I mean TP is down there with Zelda II on my least favorite Zelda's for example but I wouldn't say you're wrong for wanting an upgraded version of that style.

it was remade because it was the easiest one to remake. Its essentially an HD port. the last two 3d zeldas are too new, they already put OOT on 3ds and MM would have been to difficult

I am not saying the timelessness of the cartoon art style wasn't the easiest to port. But even so it wouldn't have been ported if it weren't adored by so many people. His attacks on it were annoying me because I know there are a good number of people who rank it above OoT, much like MM and ALTTP are. Not that OoT isn't ranked highest by the most ofcourse.

I disagree with both of you. His attacks are out their but i dont believe for a second that Ninty ported because it was adorded by so many people. It was no more adorded than any other 3d Zelda hell it might be the least adorded. im sticking with my it was easy to port theory.

After playing the new one...

definetely not. They just need to remove a lot of the hand holding in the 3D zelda's, which this 2D one did.

D21's Idea is brilliant though.

Yes, but why not 2 Zeldas? One in 3D and the other top down. Would be interesting to see which sells more :)
Only condition is they put some effort in the graphics and music, not something lazy like NSMB series.

Speaking of Zelda, I just downloaded the first Zelda from the eshop. I never gave it a fair chance when I was a kid, for reasons similar of what Aonuma said that he didn't like it. However, spending some time with the game I have to say...... it's AMAZING!

It's so much fun not knowing where to go, and the game isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Once you start gaining hearts it's a lot easier and there's always the advantage of saving your state in the 3ds ;)

I regret not playing it as a kid, and it had a map included, didn't it? Would be awesome if they did something similar again.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

No.

If they want to keep any credibility they have to have a Zelda game that looks at least as good as the tech-demo did. If they want the console to have the perception of it being able to handle the same type of product value that the PS4One can, they have to have a Zelda game that seems at least as epic as the tech-demo seemed. Bring a 2D Zelda now, and they could pack their WiiU bags.