By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda U should be top down

sc94597 said:
Dv8thwonder said:

Aonuma is a joke and it's time I shed light on why. Here is irrefutable proof that Aonuma is a cancer to Zelda and in turn the Wii U when his version of Zelda U is released. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/25/the-story-of-zelda-wind-waker

Please stop using Wind Waker as some barometric on why Zelda is cool because it's not. It's lame and so is Skyward Sword and so was Spirit Tracks or didn't the anemic sales of those titles not clue you in on how fucking awful they are. Twilight Princess is the bar that all modern Zeldas should be measured upon. Nothing else until something better comes along, which will be for a quite long time since Aonuma is so hellbent on destroying everything cool about Zelda and replacing it with fruitiness. His games are Playschool toys. Kiddie bullshit.

The amount of elitism in this post is disgusting. I prefer Twilight Princess to Wind Waker, but I enjoy and value WindWaker as an original, masterpiece deserving its place in the series. Sorry, but you're no real Zelda fan if you say something like this, " His games are Playschool toys. Kiddie bullshit." 

Side-note, that is somewhat relevant: 

Majora's Mask is (tied for) my favorite Zelda game, was the darkest Zelda game, the most "mature-themed"Zelda game, and it was made that way because of Aonuma. 

There is nothing of value in Wind Waker. Maybe if you value dumbed downed products I guess it is a perfect product for you. I'm probably the only Zelda fan that will tell you the truth. That Wind Waker is why the stigma of kiddie still pervaids to this day. Twilight Princess ironically was a glimmer of hope when it arrived. Skyward Sword and the recently released HD remake (ugh!) are the worst things to happen to the series as a whole. E3 2012 Zelda U demo is exactly what they did at SpaceWorld 2000. If this Zelda game is anything like WW or Skyward Sword in any way the Wii U is toast. Gamecube+ status.

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

Around the Network
Dv8thwonder said:
Th3PANO said:
Dv8thwonder said:
anonymunchy said:
Dv8thwonder said:
anonymunchy said:
Nem said:

I dont think it should. But Nintendo can clearly persue a side series in 2D topview (just like they do with mario).

Zelda U should be 3D, open world with gorgeous graphics.

I would be all over a huge fully explorable world that wraps around itself. With lakes and a sea with underwater cities, caverns and caves in mountains, valleys and canyons, monstrous volcanoes and intimidating icebergs, lush forests, sahara-like desert and islands in the sky.

Oh, if only...

If only Aonuma wasn't such a colossal cunt forcing all of his "genius" on us like so much bird shit. The Zelda demo we got in 2012 is nothing but a tease. Zelda U will be a sequel to Skyward Sword. A total fucking waste.

Everything, interviews with Aonuma, statements from Nintendo, A Link Between Worlds, points to Zelda U changing up even more of the formula the series has gotten used to. I believe Aonuma can even be qouted saying they want to try to let the player's exploration drive the story progression. He also acknowledges the linear structure of Skyward Sword and wants the next Zelda to take a much more open approach.

Because you didn't enjoy the previous Zelda game Aonuma is a cunt and the next Zelda will be a total fucking waste? Not even the extremely high praise of A Link Between Worlds gave him some redemption? No one is forcing anything on you, perhaps you didn't enjoy a particular entry in the series but the next one might be catered more to your needs. 

[EDIT: That's not even mentioning all the refinements they've made in The Wind Waker HD. Providing further proof that the quality of Zelda games is only improving.]

Aonuma is a joke and it's time I shed light on why. Here is irrefutable proof that Aonuma is a cancer to Zelda and in turn the Wii U when his version of Zelda U is released. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/25/the-story-of-zelda-wind-waker

Please stop using Wind Waker as some barometric on why Zelda is cool because it's not. It's lame and so is Skyward Sword and so was Spirit Tracks or didn't the anemic sales of those titles not clue you in on how fucking awful they are. Twilight Princess is the bar that all modern Zeldas should be measured upon. Nothing else until something better comes along, which will be for a quite long time since Aonuma is so hellbent on destroying everything cool about Zelda and replacing it with fruitiness. His games are Playschool toys. Kiddie bullshit.

lol...you define Zelda by graphics then right? TP was too easy, too empty, too brown/grey/black. It wasn't fun to explore the overworld. Also Aonuma isn't the only one working on Zelda. Even Ocarina of Time wasn't realistic if you are honest, creepy npc's, it had it's own style. Why do you want zelda to be cool? Zelda was never about being cool, it was about being on an adventure, finding secrets, using your brain, learning your items, that's also why TP kinda sucks on this regard, the items are pretty much useless outside of the dungeons for the most part.

No one is asking for realism in Zelda' artstyle I am simply stating that Aonuma is giving us the consumer what he wants and not what we want and the majority of Zelda fans most certainly  do not want a sequel to Skyward Sword or Wind Waker. They want that Zelda U demo. That dark and gritty Zelda. Save the vibrant hues and playful themes for Mario games. Zelda fans demand badass.

LOL they actually gave us ALBW freedom cause they listened, just stop ignoring recent Aonuma interviews.....you seem like a very negative pessimistic person.

After playing WW HD and ALBW and hearing Aonuma say Zelda U will have features of both games with more mechanic changes as we know it gives me hope.

And he said it won't be cartoony and also it won't be hyper realistic. We will see. But I personally can't wait for it.

Mr Khan said:
It would be almost worth it just to see the meltdowns.

Wii U holiday 2014 blockbuster: Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks 2: Ghost Zelda's Quest

That is some scary shit yo. Like hairs on the back of your neck standing up type shit.

No thanks.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Would love to see the new Zelda for Wii U be a mix of Zelda NES, Wind Waker and LTTP/ALBW.

Around the Network

Sorry, but no.
console zeldas should remain how they are.

Mr Khan said:
It would be almost worth it just to see the meltdowns.

Wii U holiday 2014 blockbuster: Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks 2: Ghost Zelda's Quest

Don't even joke about it...

Nintendo and PC gamer

Aonuma is to Zelda what Sakamoto is to Metroid.

Of course it should be top down: that's the only way to do a four swords-esque multiplayer. See most people here have no idea what they missed: four swords required so much hardware that few people ever played it the way it was meant to be played, and even then the graphics were lousy due to needing to run on gameboy hardware. But with the wii u having the screen in the controller that's all a thing of the past. I wouldn't be surprised if wii u four swords was one of the driving reasons behind having a tablet controller in the first place.

Korppi said:
oniyide said:
Korppi said:

Excluding the Super Nintendo, every Nintendo home console has had two mainline Zelda games. As Little Taco Commercial Girl once said in her infinite wisdom, "why don't we have both?"

And even though I was, like, thirteen back then, I remember people all over the Internet going all "oh, a game like New Super Mario Bros. Wii will never sell on a home console", and "this looks like a lazy DS port, the home consoles should be reserved for proper 3D Mario games". I'm just throwing that out there.

Just in case I wasn't clear enough, I fully endorse the OP's suggestion. I mean, christ, so far there have been two traditional top-down Zeldas on the home consoles. The last on was in 1992. That ain't right.

1. Zelda is not Mario not even close, it wouldnt have the same effect two

2. 3d Zelda is actually MORE popular than 2d Zelda despite what some might want to believe, the best selling Zelda is a 3d one OOT

3.Why do we NEED a 2d Zelda on a home console? What will it being on the home console add to the experience that couldnt be done on the portable, its not like their is a Multiplayer mode where people could gather around the TV to better ultilize, serious question not trying to be a dick

I dont see Ninty doing this, they still need to sell people on the gamepad and i dont think a 2d Zelda would really utilize it, but i like the idea that someone said before have it 3d but use the gamepad as map and it will be in 2d. Dont think Ninty can pull that off though, hell i dont think anyone can pull that off.

1 & 2: No, a 2D Zelda wouldn't be the same bombshell that NSMBW was, and yes, no matter how you look at it, the best-selling Zelda game is either Ocarina or Twilight Princess. I don't think I implied otherwise. The NSMBW comparison was directed at some of the earlier posts that said that it would never happen or be successful.

3: It just makes sense to me that one 2D Zelda and one 3D Zelda would attract more people to buy the system than two 3D Zeldas would. It's hard to say by how much since, like I said before, the 2D Zeldas are criminally underrepresented on the home consoles, but I think the figure would be at least noticeable, since A Link to the Past was... well, a while ago.

@ the bolded: I don't see why it would need to have some cheap, shoehorned novelty that couldn't be emulated on a handheld or any other system to justify its existence. Most of the best-selling Zelda games could be and have been ported over to handhelds without detriment to the experience.

But I'm agreeing with the OP because I really prefer 2D Zelda to 3D Zelda, not because I think it's necessarily the best decision for Nintendo financially. Again, I don't think I implied otherwise.

@AlphaCielago

Four Swords Adventures was a multiplayer spin-off that was designed around GC/GBA connectivity, and had linear, stage-based progression without an explorable overworld of any sort. That's why I said traditional.

And people considering 3D World and TF a "waste" is just a part of the circle of life on Nintendo forums. I like to call it "the inverted Sonic cycle".

1&2 thats fair but that happened so long ago that it has little barren right now, especially when it comes to Zelda IMHO. Ninty isnt in the same place now that they are in then.

3 how does it make sense because YOU want it on a home console. I get that and thats fine, but numbers say otherwise. I dont think a 2d Zelda would do much for Wii U, hell the 3d Zeldas for the most part dont even move that much hardware.

Well youve already stated that money wise it wouldnt really do ninty much and you are just speaking form personal want. thats fine however the Wii U isnt in a good place. Had in been in a better position I could see Ninty taking a chance but they need to move HW and Zelda is going to do a better job of that in 3d.